Pod Your Reef

HOB filter

sloombee

Looks pretty cool Seabass. Are any of my lofty requirement not going to be able to be met by that?

Thanks,

Bill

will for starters. just go to all you local pet stores and even if you just have to you can look at wal mart too. just see which one is big enought for your needs. bear in mind any that will be big enough are going to be way to big for a normal ten gallon tank. but nano's aren't normal anyway, are thay? if the gph is a problem, you migh try getting a filter big enought for what you want, and then maybe bet it's smaller cousin, then just swap the impeller asyemblies (i know i didn't spell that right but oh well) hope that helps.

I plan on getting an Aquaclear 150 for filtration in my 12g eclipse.

Seabass - you recommend the SeaGel for media? Any other recommendations?

Seabass and Jdsabin1 - What do you recommend for mechanical filtration?

i posted a thread a few days back that gives a link to a listing of some of the most popular HOBs and their dimensions. that way you can plan for the amount of space along the tank side it will go.....as well as how much clearance between the tank and wall you will need

Belallanon, yes I like SeaGel media. For my 7-gallon Mini-Bow, I only use one once in an E-Z Close media bag (which uses Velcro instead of a drawstring). I change it out every couple of weeks (do so more often if you are trying to bring down your Phosphate levels).

The filter cartridges that are made for your filter will probably provide the best mechanical filtration, but I only use mine on occasions where there is stuff in the water (after cleaning or times like that).

I run an AquaTech 5-15 filter, but I think Jdsabin1 actually uses an Aquaclear. He might have some other thoughts about those filters.

I agree with Brian. Use the mechanical filter only when you need to. Frankly, I can't even remember the last time I used any type of mechanical filtration in my tank. I let the live rock and live sand and all the critters handle it naturally, just as mother nature intended.

To this point it has worked flawlessly.

HTH!

My 7g is sealed pretty tight to prevent "Office Helpers" from being able to get anything into the tank. My HOB provides a lot of gas exchange area, it's the only area that the water is exposed to open air.

That aquafuge seems like a really cool thing to have. Is there any good reason to get it or not? Seems you can put a heater int here as well to get it out of the tank am I wrong? I was looking at the aquaclear mini and a ebo jager 50w heater, but I want as little in the aga 7g bow as possible, so was also considering the tetra pf15o with built in heater. What do you guys think?

-thanks.

Archived