Top Shelf Aquatics

HOB filter

sloombee

Dennis_said

An HOB isn't necessary... I have one on right now to aid in the clearning of my tank, but in the long run, I will just go w/ the PHs.... they really aren't necessary.. you have the other live elements to act as the filtration unit (cleaner unit, live rocks, live sand, etc) =)

I have to slightly disagree with Dennis. The HOB can add a great amount of even flow to the water column, along with having a convenient way to add carbon, phosphate remover, filter floss and even an easy way in for auto-topoff water to enter.

For all of these reasons, I happen to think that an HOB is a must in a nano.

Of course that just my opinion and you'll get a lot of different views here at nano-reef.

:)

Dennis, Sloombee: According to most of the people on the board although external filtration isn't necessary good water flow is. So if you do have a HOB it's preferable to use it to increase your water flow...all you need to do is get rid of the filter media. I plan to add one to my tank eventually...I'm waiting for my next allowance to get one.

I like HOB filters, but they are not needed. They are handy for running media like carbon or PhosGuard (I use SeaGel, which is a combination of the two, in a media bag). Also, there are times when you might want to clear your tank with some mechanical filtration.

When you are not running media (and many never run any sort media in there HOBs), it serves to break the water's surface and increase water flow.

Depending on the filter, you might have room to install an IceProbe Chiller or a computer fan on the lid to help control the temperature. I drip RO/DI water into my HOB to top it off.

Just make sure you ditch any sort of biological filter they might have (like a biowheel). Also if you are using mechanical filtration (fiber), don't let it run with debris in it for long (it will produce Nitrates). I like the Wal-Mart Aquatech 5-15; it's just like a Penguin Biowheel Mini without the biowheel (even uses the Penguin cartridges), but there are many good filters on the market.

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I'll be setting up 2 10g tanks simultaneously, so I'll be able to try different things and see what works best.

littlereefer

I agree with jdsabin1. I use my HOB for mechanical filtration, move water around and a easy place to add carbon. I leave the pads in mine all the time even without carbon because some of my pods live in the pads, they eat fish food sucked up by filter :).

As far as the brand I use penguin but I don't think the brand matters much.

Tony

i'd agree with jd and seabass, there are many pluses for hob's and little minuses. extra volume, particulate filtration, filter media, breaking surface water tension, flow, and minimal space requirements (inside the tank).

ac mini is my fav; adjustable flow, incredible cosmic power, and teeny weeny living space. get two! :)

This is a great thread thanks for starting it.

I have been thinking about adding an HOB on my 10 gallon for a couple of weeks now.

I really wanted to find one that could fit my Ebo Jagr 50 Watt heater but I went to the store to check them out and most of the small HOB's are way too small for that FAT ebo jagr heater. I was miffed at first. I looked at an Aquaclear 300 and I think it MAY fit but it was like 45 bucks.

I was also thinking about getting one that I could attach a surface skimmer to. Has anyone used this one before?

http://www.oscarent.com/productspages/surf...aceskimmer.html

I can get it real cheap and wanted to make sure first that I could get the right HOB and also find out if you think it's necessary.

Thanks,

Bill

i am planning on using a penguin hob w/biowheel (going to take it off). But i was wondering if i should keep the biobag in there?? anyone else use it? if not, do i just dump the carbon in the bottom..how do i get it there (is it even necessary?)

Bill - I have that surface skimmer attached to my Aquaclear 150 and love it. It works like a dream and keeps my surface crystal clear.

katydidit - You can buy bags that you can put carbon, etc in and place that in a filter. I buy mine at Petsmart but Fosters online has them too I know.

HTH!

i'm an hob fan big time. in adition to all the pluses mentions above you can drill them way easy so as to make an overflow going to your fuge/sump. you can even use one of the biggers ones to make fuge out of. they are just a good investment all the way around.

Alright, if I'm going to buy an HOB for my 10 gallon nano, I need to get one that can accomodate all possible future upgrades including holding heater, cooler, the protein skimmer attachment I mentioned earlier, refugium, overflow, and what ever else.

Is there any one that can do all of these things?

Thanks,

Bill

will the biobag do it harm?? I am asking this because i thought that a biobag was simply the outer lining to catch debrit and carbon inside, am i wrong? Thanks for your patience with me all of you!

how large of a refuge are you looking for?

...there are many hob's that you can use as a refuge, it just depends on how large you want it.

One of the larger ones that you might be able to use is the emperor bio wheel (just remove that). Its about 16" across so there is A LOT of room to put stuff in. The only drawback(if you can consider this one) is that it delivers over 400gph. I am not sure if you can use a low/high switch, as i have never used it, but most HOB's do. Just a suggestion

A media bag won't hurt anything; it's a poor filter by itself. It'll simply hold your filter media. A good thing.:)

so i can just use it as is then?

also (hehe sorry) i know that some people are really against carbon in a reef tank, and then some condone it. What are the pro's and con's of carbon, all i get is opinions on this website of what people think, but not what it does. Thanks!

Most HOB filters aren't designed for media (like carbon) to be poured in the bottom (plus it’d be much harder to change). Therefore, use a media bag for your media (I use SeaGel as my media, it's a mix of carbon and PhosGuard).

Carbon is a chemical filter. It can also make your water clearer. People get into trouble with carbon when their water turns yellow and then they use carbon to clear it up quickly. The increased light levels (due to clearer water) can shock your corals; therefore, I’m in the camp of use carbon (SeaGel) all the time. Of course I put it in a media bag. ;)

Also, if you use media, make sure you change it regularly. It will not continue to work indefinitely. Also, depending on the product, leaving your media in too long might cause your media to actually leach harmful substances back into your tank. X)

Seabass has it right. I also run carbon 24/7/365. With the combination of SPS/LPS and softies all sharing the same space, there are a lot of battles in there that carbon can help minimize.

Carbon is also helpful for polishing the water and alleviating 'smells' too.

Here is a link for you that explains more:

http://www.hallman.org/filter/gac.html

HTH!

Guys can you give some advice on which HOB I should get that meets all of the requirements I listed below?

Thanks,

Bill

Archived