Pod Your Reef

want to start 20 gallon nano, first SW setup

Andy16

If you're going to go FO, rather than reef...agreed..you don't need MH..but then you also don't need PC's...you could go with NO fluoros and save yourself even more money. But don't skimp..at all..on the skimmer...the problem with going cheap there is that the cheaper ones don't really "skim"...honestly...they do next to nothing. My personal choice for a skimmer is the CPR Bak Pak 2...thats what I'd get..everytime. Other than that...good luck!

by FO you mean FOWLR right? I think i might stick with my current lighting, and not spend anyhting on htat so that if i want to change to reef which i will in maybe a year, it wont be a killer to buy different lights. with hte lights out of the way i can definantly get a nice skimmer. is an $80 skimmer a cheap one? thats how much i saw some prism going for at the petsmart web site.

The Prizm is an okay skimmer....not on the cheap cheap end...not the best...it should skim decently well for a FOWLR tank..yes. And by FO, I did mean FOWLR, yes. Like I said..I'd stick with regular NO lighting on a FOWLR tank...it more than sufficient. Save up the cash and get a nice little 250w MH for the tank when you switch it over to a reef...and avoid getting any non-reef safe fish in the meantime. They ARE half the fun of a FOWLR tank..but marine fish are the biggest PITAs to remove from an aquarium. Other than that...have fun...thats what its all about!

thanks diemos, im glad we got to understadn each other on this one:) So does any one have any ideas how i could convince to parents on this one?

• 3 weeks later...

Funny, I noticed with your final question "How can I convince my parents?" ... everyone stopped posting for about a month!

Well, how did it go buddy?

My tank has been set up for 4 weeks now. It is an algae forest, but I started dosing with kalkwasser and I can see my coralline is charging back big time. Also, I think a piece of Halimeda has appeared. Not to mention LOTS of weird stuff that is just creepy. I love it!

So....what's the scoop on your tank?

Vince

I am going to buy everything first, like the dry stuff, then say ask them. Or ill just wait till i have the 300$. I dotn know how to ask them.

perhaps if you sold or scrapped the 20 gal and went with a 10 gal you'll be saving tons of cash....TONS.

the larger the tank:

the more powerful lighting you need to penetrate to the increased depth

the more money spending you'll be commited to for water changes

the more coral (=$$$$) it will take to fill up a larger tank for that colorful Alice in Wonderland garden effect

the more live rock and sand $$$$$$$$ you'll need to start

a larger tank can be more forgiving for a newbie because water quality fluctuations will be less drastic.....but i find my smaller tank so much easier to take care of and the water changes and top-off are less of a hassle

the cost of setting up and maintaining a larger nano-tank grows exponentially with each gallon.....if costs are an issue, a smaller tank can really help......you just have to be super careful with water quality

Long term costs dont matter. Only the first part where i gotta hand out $300 right away. I dont care about hte cost. If i could i would rather have a 75 gallon reef. But since i cnat, 20 is the largest i can have.

Archived