inTank Media Baskets

Cool water tanks

el_vulture619

el_vulture619

I live in cold Michigan, and I think that a cool water/temperate SW tank would be a nice change. Abyone have one? Does anyone know were I could get fish for this type of tank, and kelp?

I did a native species tank with FW once, and really enjoyed it. Cool water is alot easier to maintain! :happy:

No heaters, less lighting, and they still have some cool critters.

So what do you all say? Is this really an advanced topic even?

I was (still) interested in setting one up after seeing some of the Seattle and Australia Biotope tanks. But since I'm moving back to Asia (Taiwan and Singapore) it's not really feasible. I'll see if I can find my old links to cold water sw tanks for you.

el_vulture619

thank psidriven! I guess you would need a chiller in the dessert, then a CW tank is not cheap anymore. My local zoo is what got me interested also, its like I forgot about the rest of the ocean. In the winter and fall they said they dont even run chillers!

Well maybe you could run it like a keg cooler! Use a powerhead to pump some water through a coiled hose in a cooler of ice! B)

I used to have a cold water tank in Ireland(I just went to the coast and caught shrimp and stuff out of the rock pools)

for about 9month, until I moved to the us. anyway, I didn"t know anything about it then but all my animals stayed a live(till I got a 2" scorpion I found)

here some pics;)

post-31235-1194328842_thumb.jpg

post-31235-1194328851_thumb.jpg

post-31235-1194328863_thumb.jpg

post-31235-1194329012_thumb.jpg

post-31235-1194329019_thumb.jpg

el_vulture619

SWEET!! B) So how did you run the tank, what equipment did you use? How was upkeep? There some cool little critters in the cool water world. Those nems look sweet, and the wont be light hogs right!?

If you want to get some cold water fish, there is a little store in Jenison called Aquarium Services. They most do maintenance on business's tanks but also run a small store front. They are only open tuesday, thursday, and saturday, I think it's been a while since I made the trek from k-zoo up to GR. But, they will be able to order anything you want.

Well, actually when I think about it now, i was pretty silly! it used to be a FW with stock light(no idea what that was) and a relatively big canister filter(that I didnt mod at all). I dont suggest doing it the same way I did, as this can probably turn out horribly wrong, but just to give you an idea:)

el_vulture619
If you want to get some cold water fish, there is a little store in Jenison called Aquarium Services. They most do maintenance on business's tanks but also run a small store front. They are only open tuesday, thursday, and saturday, I think it's been a while since I made the trek from k-zoo up to GR. But, they will be able to order anything you want.
Is it on the corner of Chicago and Wilson??!! :huh: I know what store you may be taliking about. If its the same one it is now called Aquatic Reeflections. I have made a post about it in the vender forum to try and help him out. I never thought about asking him though, good idea! Im on it!
Well, actually when I think about it now, i was pretty silly! it used to be a FW with stock light(no idea what that was) and a relatively big canister filter(that I didnt mod at all). I dont suggest doing it the same way I did, as this can probably turn out horribly wrong, but just to give you an idea:)
Hey when your strolling along the beach you want to take it back with you! :lol: I would probly would run it the same as my nano-reef, but with no heater, or big fancy lights.( not that I use them now)
Is it on the corner of Chicago and Wilson??!! :huh: I know what store you may be taliking about. If its the same one it is now called Aquatic Reeflections. I have made a post about it in the vender forum to try and help him out. I never thought about asking him though, good idea! Im on it!

The address of the place I'm talking about is 158 Baldwin. The shop is in a barn behind a house, very strange location. Aquatic Reeflections is in Grandville, I've never been there but I plan to visit sometime soon.

el_vulture619
I always thought one of those lobster tanks from the grocery store would be perfect for a cool water tank.

very true! :D When I go to this Chineese resturant, they have lobster and crab in one of those tanks, but the thing is loud!

When I was waiting for rock salt squid B) YUM!!, I was checking out how it was set up under the cabnet, it had a water pump with a small fridge unit on the bottom of it. I am sure I wouldn't need one hear in MI tho, well in the summer it may get pretty hot for a day or two.

Captain RON PAUL is never off topic!! :lol:B)

• 2 weeks later...
kingwintergreen
I live in cold Michigan, and I think that a cool water/temperate SW tank would be a nice change. Abyone have one? Does anyone know were I could get fish for this type of tank, and kelp?

I did a native species tank with FW once, and really enjoyed it. Cool water is alot easier to maintain! :happy:

No heaters, less lighting, and they still have some cool critters.

So what do you all say? Is this really an advanced topic even?

I would say "fringe" more than "advanced," as temperate critters are often very easy and simple to maintain, for a number of reasons. Good places to start looking would be:

www.gulfofme.com

www.foreshores.net

www.aquaticbiodiversitygroup.com.au

Quality Marine imports some temperate species, but they are strictly wholesalers. However, you can get your LFS to obtain info from them on your behalf (and maybe try to convince them to offer retail coldwater livestock?).

kingwintergreen
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=121622

Theres a link to a guy who has an amazing cold water tank, i think he said he was in California and that he collected all the inverts and fish himself. If you look through there there is some cool info and nice pics.

I believe you're referring to brave and wise Steve Weast... I think he resides in Oregon, though he collected much of this stuff in Washington. He even imported a few items from Tasmania. Yeah, it is amazing, there are updated pics on a website he has devoted to this and his massive reef tank at:

www.oregonreef.com

Anyone who hasn't seen it, check it out...

Archived