ReefCleaners.org

Come in and join me....

evilc66

Power supply is easy. Just go to MPJA for those. You could get something like this, or if you want complete overkill try this (this is what I am using, but had it for other things). Using a 12v power supply will let you put 3 LEDs in series per regulator. You can go to higher voltage to run more LEDs.

This power supply will let you run Luxdrive Buckpucks at the maximum number of LEDs (9).

For current drivers, I'd suggest using the Buckpucks over building your own. It is fun to do, but the drivers will give you a little more reliability if you are not too familiar with electronics.

PCB's I used are from LED-Tech. They have different versions of the board for different types of hookups (series versus individual control).

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i dont mind building the current drives. i porbibly have the fets and transistors all at my disposal, plus i have already started to get little heat sinks togeather for them...lol...i work at and amp company and if i cant figure it out im sure some one in the service dept will know. that is how i am going to get the leds surface mounted...lol...i dont have good enough eyes for that...lol...thanks. ill be getting back to you when i get some stuff shipped. you were saying that you were waiting to get the new led's what web site are you waiting for to get them from?? thanks :)

Best place to get them is from future Electronics. Lumileds links directly to their website when you click on the shopping cart next to the LEDs. They have the best price, but because of the recall, all the best LEDs are backordered.

Sounds like a good plan!

Thats where I'm geting mine from :D

This web site has been great to order from. In Canada the delivery is usually only a couple days.

Good Luck

NRG

You can do that, but you will end up paying about 3 times more. Thats one of the primary reasons I chose to get the boards from Germany. Even after the exchange rate and shipping, they only came out to about $2 each.

The only advantage is that they have them in stock. But then you can't buy the additional LEDs for a while.

yea i was confused on the exchange and what not but for 2 bucks each, ill take it form germany. that is like a 10$ savings for each board. that will save bout 50 beans...thank you for saying this...:)

im a little rusty. i was wondering if i would be right in this statement. I i am useing 12 LEDs @ 700ma each then i would need a power supply with atleast 8.4 a. ??? thanks

im a little rusty. i was wondering if i would be right in this statement. I i am useing 12 LEDs @ 700ma each then i would need a power supply with atleast 8.4 a. ??? thanks

If you powere all the LEDs in parallel, then yes, you would need about 8.4A (0.7*12)and 5.6 (3.6+2) volts. If you were to drive them in series (the proper way), it would be 700 mA (0.7*1) and 45.2V (3.6*12+2). The 2 extra volts is typically what the current driver needs to run.

see how its easier to just get a LED driver?

i dont know about you but its hard finding a 5v 10 amp power supply.

maybe from a computer power supply. (the USB port is 5v.)

i cant w8 for the 35w adjustable power supply.

but you wouldnt want to run them all in series. then if one led went out the whole string would and you wouldnt know which one went out until you tested them all. so if i run 3 LED's in series on the star and then put 5 of the stars in parellel i would need 3.5A @ 20VDC. correct. that shouldnt be to hard to find.

yea i was just lokoing around and i found an old gateway lap top power supply. it is 19V tho 4.74A. but if i run 2 of the star in series then it would drop the voltage and i can use this power supply. but that wont work with the current regulators or could i some how put them in series as well?? hummm maybe ill just drop that 5th star then i dont have to buy a power supply.

I'm a bit lost now :)

What kind of regulator were you planning to use?

Regards Hans

P.S: 19V won't be enough for running 6 LEDs in series...

I'm a bit lost now :)

What kind of regulator were you planning to use?

Regards Hans

P.S: 19V won't be enough for running 6 LEDs in series...

nope, but 19 volts is almost enough to run 5 in series (depending on overvoltage needed for driver) and then you can use a couple independent strings :)

i was planning on doing the same thing as evil, with the mosfet's to build the current regualtors. i guess i will need a bigger power supply to run 15 LEDs. oh well it was worth a shot. Evil, how much voltage is needed to run the mosfet regualtors?

I think it had to have at least 2v above the total forward voltage. The closer you can get to the 2v, the cooler the circuit will run (more efficient).

I think it had to have at least 2v above the total forward voltage. The closer you can get to the 2v, the cooler the circuit will run (more efficient).

Consider that most LEDs will be run at close to 3.6v

1=3.6

2=7.2

3=10.8

4=14.4

5=18

6=21.6

7=25.2

8=27.8

9=31.4

6 LEDs are easy to run with a common 24V source (delta=0.4V).

8 LEDs are easy to run with a common 32V source (delta=2.2V)

Most divers don't like more than 32V input

If you are lucky and get a regulated PSU where you can dial in the voltage +/-10%, then you can rock the 6 and 8 LED efficiency.

now is that 2 volts per regulator because i would have 5 regulators for the 5 stars. maybe ill just go with 4 and use exactly what you did evil...that would make life alot easyer and less stress full....lol...

now is that 2 volts per regulator because i would have 5 regulators for the 5 stars. maybe ill just go with 4 and use exactly what you did evil...that would make life alot easyer and less stress full....lol...

1 regulator per string. each string has 1 voltage drop associated with the regulator. For multiple strings in parallel, add the current draw.

Archived