inTank Media Baskets

Come in and join me....

evilc66

it says the input has to be at least 2volts higher. so that power supply with the BuckPuck will only run 3 LEDs.

unless u get something thats 32volts u can get 8 LEDs out of it

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply
snowlancer2720

could i just go with using 3 of those ones from kaidomain, and using that power supply from mpja and using it in parallel so each board gets 12v (which could then drive 3 leds off of each)?

snowlancer2720

nice find on that ps. i think im going to use that and 2 of those things from kai domain in parallel. Then i can run them at 18v (which is the max for the boards) and which should output with 18v and 700-755mA. That should work right?

lol u really want to push it to the max? alright just make sure u got some fire proof things around the board...

LEDs like that shouldn't be running such high amps since were amateurs...

cuz if my LEDs get too hot im afraid im going to have to take everything apart AGAIN.

and run them at 350mA....

at that i shouldnt worry.

snowlancer2720

damn confusing technology! lol, i think im just going to buy another one of the same ones that i have off of ebay. hopefully it wont break...again....haha

Hi

If you are looking for an inexpensive lens to focus the Rebel LEDs check out the details in my post www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=142866&st=0&p=1451320entry1451320

I have pics of a fresnel lens that I think will work quite well.

Cheers

NRG

Bringing this back because I would like to get more information on evil6's build. How is the array holding up and could you post some results and photos of your success with LEDs.

I have been posting so much on everyone elses threads, I have neglected my own!

The array has been working out really well. I haven't taken any pictures of it recently. It's been running over my pico for the last month now supporting a nice algae growth that I'm trying to get under control.

The only issues I've had so far is with one of the FETs for the current driver. The heatsink wasn't making good contact and it ended up burning out. A couple of small modifications and a replacement FET later and everything is golden.

I am seriously thinking about changing the blue LEDs to royal blue. A simple change, and will make my corals fluoresce a little once I start putting them in there. I'm going to order a few and try some things out. I want to experiment with using a star of 3 as "actinic supplimentation" to see how that works. If that doesn't do what I want then I'll swap out the original blues for these. I'm also thinking again about converting my BC14 to LED. It needs something more than the 72W PC setup I have in there now. Maybe I'll start building the structure for it soon.

No change. I'm still trying to get the algae under control. I don't want to take a picture right now cuz my poor little tank has a case of the uglies right now :(

I have been starting some planning on my BC14 conversion. Wont be cheap for what I want to do.

No change. I'm still trying to get the algae under control. I don't want to take a picture right now cuz my poor little tank has a case of the uglies right now :(

I have been starting some planning on my BC14 conversion. Wont be cheap for what I want to do.

Actually it would be good to see the amount of algae growth that these LEDs can produce. Every tank goes through this phase, but it would be good to document this with your light system too.

i had a the 1w blue LED shining at my macro algae a while back. in just 1 day i noticed the part that was exposed to the blue light grow out towards the light. i'm going to have to redo this and take more pics.

also the diatoms grow out of control too. right on the glass

Hi

I didn't see if anyone else had posted the "official" reply from Luxeon about the LED recall. I got an email from them today with a list of the affected parts. Attaching in case your Rebels or K2s are in the recall.

Luxeon_Recall_Item_List.pdf

It looks like all they will do is give you a refund for the parts that you return to them. The cost of shipping and pulling them from your array are your responsability.

"Reason For The Recall

The manufacturer has identified a batch of non-conforming epoxy material used in the production of Luxeon® Rebels (with TFFC) and Luxeon® K2s with TFFC products manufactured from WW0744 to WW0802. This non-conforming epoxy material has the potential to cause the TFFC die to crack and fail during short-term operation. In internal testing, they have found that under normal operating conditions the affected products experience infant mortality failure within the first 24 hours of operation. Preliminary failure rate data suggests failure rates of 10-30%. The reliability of the affected products that survive the first 24 hours is under investigation. Additional information will be sent to you when more results become available."

Cheers

NRG

• 3 weeks later...

Decided to give you guys a little update today about my ongoing lighting project.

I ended up getting the algae under control and came to the conclusion that it was because of me adding about 2 cups of waste water from a water change on my BC14. While that wouldn't be that bad normally, the algae exploded and I had to take all the LR out and scrub it down. It's been running for a week now, fully cycled with just the usual dusting of algae on the tank walls.

Intensity is still holding up. Haven't had any failures yet after close to 3 months of running. I'm pretty excited about that, especially considering I made the current drivers :)

I added my first frag of what I think is a watermellon zoa from my BC14, and the colors look way better already. I'll try and get some pictures up later tonight. The green around the fringe is much more neon, even under 470nm blue LEDs. I'm still considering swapping them out for royal blues, but not until Lumileds gets the recall sorted out. I'm not worried about the quality so much. It's more that I want the brighter LEDs that aren't available right now.

Definately looking forward to the pics. :happy:

Can you remind me what the balance between white and blue LED you used is and if you are using blue or royal blue?

Thanks

NRG

I'm using 2 white to 1 blue LED. These are just the regular blues (470nm), but they are fluorescing the watermelon zoa pretty well. At least, it's looking a lot better than under the 72W PC (10k, Actinic, 50/50) in my BC14. I'm pretty happy with it so far.

The new batch of Rebels is supposed to be hitting the market in March. The recal hit just as I was looking to replace the blue LEDs with the royal blues. I'm going to wait for the 180lm whites to come back before I start doing more work on the BC14 conversion.

LED-Tech in Germany has the 180lm whites in stock, but they want a rediculous amount of money after the exchange rate and shipping. :(

evilc66 can we get a lumen calculation on how much lumens the white and blue is giving out?

i want to get a bunch of pictures of kelvin ratings based on the white to blue lumens.

Sorry about the pictures. I'll try and get some up when I get home from work.

Coolwaters, I have already posted the calculated lumen output for this setup before in this thread, but I'll do it again just for you :)

12 LEDs total

8 Cool White @130lm (700mA)

4 Blue (470nm) @ 28lm (I think I originally posted they were at 30lm, my bad)

Total output - 1152lm

I like the color, but I want to get royal blue LEDs to make the corals fluoresce more.

oh now i remember seeing some pics of multiple shots on PC combos with LEDs.

they were nice tho. i'll try to dig them up myself and arrange them when i have time.

m so far behind and busy. im still on the tank building step....

my parents made me clean my "work station" in the bonus room so everything is in boxes in my garage. so maybe sometime this week i'll dig them up and at least wire my plant growing LEDs. im loving the new copper heatsink (totally worth the $20 shipped.)

also im running out of blue/white LEDs so when i get my checks i'll get some more.

Its Chinese New Years and i racked up $420 in red envelops so far. =)

evil, I have been looking at this thread for ohh about the last 1.5 hours and i want to do it...lol...big surprise huh?...lol...i was wondering where i can get a power supply that will sustain the same thing you are doing with the 12 LEDs and the current regulators with the FET's, acctually maybe adding one more array in the center as well. So enought to run 15 LED's. I am having some trouble in finding what i need as far as power supply goes. i was wondering if you know of any that are online that i can purchase? Also i have been looking and cant find where you got the pads you are useing either. could you please post that as well. thanks. :)

Archived