Top Shelf Aquatics

Custom SeaLife Power Compact 20" W/ Moon on 10gal Reef?

GulfCoastReef

GulfCoastReef

Anyone have experience with this system. Here's a link to it. http://www.marineandreef.com/shoppro/power..._HoodsMoon.html

I'm looking at the 20" 2x40 watt to go in a new 10gal micro.

I like the way this system looks because it has a moonlight built in and three seperate cords for each light to give better control. It also has stands already built in.

Concerns:

Noise from fan

Bulb replacement - is 40 watts standard or will I have a useless lighting system if they decide to drop this line of products.

Would 80 watts give me any heat problems?

It says it delivers 250% more light per watt so that would be the equivalent of 200 watts if the claim is true, is that too much????

Thanks

harbingerofthefish

Well this is a new light for me.

looks nice price seems good too.

about your concerns:

wouldn't be concerned with fan noise. I have a hood with a built in fan...very quiet. mOst are PC type fans, very quiet.

40W pcs...hmmm... looking at the replacement bulbs from the same site they don't even list 40 watters. Typically 40 watt bulbs are NO or VHO 48". CSL makes 32, 36(?) and then up to 55's, but never seen a 40.

I wouldn't woory about heat. It's eleveted and has a fan. I have 45W on a 7 gal. and the temp swings 2 deg. in a 13 hour photo period w/ no fan.

The claim might be the 4x output of pc's vs. NOs. it could be a reflector thing too. Either way your still talking about 8W per gal. Should be enough for just about anything you want to keep.

p.s.

I see your in pensacola. You been to www.mbrk.com yet? It's a bunch of reefers from the mobile bay area.

GulfCoastReef

Thanks for the reply and the link to the site. I quess I'll give them a call and find out the scoop on the replacement bulbs. Also they are claiming the 250% more light per watt is compared to other compact bulbs in another area on the site. They call it smartlight, here's the link. http://www.marineandreef.com/shoppro/power_BLSL.html

The unit that I'm looking at doesn't say smartlight but makes the same claim. I would go for the "smartlight" unit but the minimum size is 24" as compared to the one I'm looking at which is 20".

Any other suggestions/sites for a nice looking good quality lighting kit for a 10gal same price range ?

harbingerofthefish

yeah, doesn't tell much.

You might want tolook into 32 watt samrtlites (a TM I think of CSL) at least then you can readily get replacements. most likely the same ballast can run both.

• 1 month later...

let me/us know about the info you get from sealife as well. I am trying to decide on what light to get myself. I have a 36w 10k actinic, and I want to get a 96w, or i guess 80w instead. this is on a 10 gallon.

the 20 inch coralife 96w quad looks nicehttp://www.marineandreef.com/shoppro/power_aqualight.html

but the sealife 20 inch with moonlite looks good as well.

http://www.marineandreef.com/shoppro/power..._HoodsMoon.html

3 cords...and its three separate lights, if I am correct.

choices choices choices... with the quad the lighting would be 10k------

actinic------

10k-----

actinic------

the sealife light would be

10k------

10k------

actinic------

actinic------

anyways.....anyone who reads this, what are your thoughts.... i'm getting one of them...

I bought one, and the bulbs are 36 watt, not 40.

I like it a lot. The colour is very nice and the separate plugs is a nice feature. The moonlight is quite nice. The fan is not noisy.

The only complaint I have, and I consider it a minor one, is the fact that you have to remove the hood to get at the tank. The clearance on a 10gal is just not quite enough to get your hand in.

Overall, though, I'm quite pleased with it. In fact, I just ordered one for my 20gal nano.

Noel

they have a light fixture for a 10 gallon, a 19inch...two lights 36 watts, and are fan cooled. I do not know the price. The JBJ have stands that flip your light 90 degrees, so you can work in your tank without removing your light.

i wrote them, and this is what they said.

------Hello,

and thanks for the email. We have our 19" Desktop Formosa (PL-JG2-19-f) that will work perfectly for 10 gallon aquariums. This unit contains (2) 36 watt PC lamps and are fan cooled-----

I called marineandreef about the coralife and sealife lights. i was told that what gives the sealife light brighter lighting for your tank is because they use a higher quality ballast, and he said that if you put the lights side by side, at the same wattage, you can see the sealife light is way brighter. also you get a moon-lite, and three cords. he is calling me back after he finds out for sure they carry 40 watt 10000k lights. he said he carries 40 watt actinics.

so im getting a sealife light. and i wasted money for a 36w light. i'm mad. im gonna go to the gym and work off my anger, then hug someone.

anyone want to buy a 36w 10k/actinic hood? maybe for their refugium?

let me know

jAy

ill write back with the 40w info when i get it. maybe you might want to call about the 32watt lights you got, since it is advertised as it coming with 40.

he said they carry 40 watt actinics and 40 watt 10,000k. i dont know if that means what you just said, or if they actually say 40 watt on them. he had the people check the actual box and it said 40 watt....so i dunno whats what, but im getting one. and the smartlites, i think the ones with half actinic and 10k will work on these fixtures.

so there i go.

Yeah, I spoke with both CSL and MarineandReef.com and they both told me the same info. They ARE, in fact, 40w bulbs. MarineandReef.com has them in stock, but has not added them to their webpage yet.

CSL told me:

"Thanks for writing and sorry for the mistake on the website. These are 40w bulbs. The bulb section of the website was added before we actually had these bulbs designed. Originally we had planned to have 2x32w bulbs but we were told by our lamp manufacturer that they could produce a 40w series that would fit into these hoods. Sorry about the discrepancy and thank you for your interest in the PC w/Moon-Lite."

So there you have it, it is in fact 2x40w. Also, the 40w bulbs are about the same price as the 36w, perhaps $1-$2 more. Sounds good to me! =]

I'll be ordering one for my 10g. I WAS going to use the Coralife 96w PowerQuad, but I like being able to control the Actinic separately from the 10,000K. So the CSL works out perfectly...

-moore

They look great, does anyone have any more feedback yet?

Awesome price for a full hood. Retros cost more without the control, fan and the moonlight.

It almost seems too good. HMMMM.

Preferred the CSL light over the Coralife pc from past experience and the added addition of the moonlight feature. I purchased and received their 2x65watt pc/moonlight fixture from customaquatics for 149.99 which is still on sale. First time I ordered from customaquatics. I'd recommend them because of the fixture pricing and constant updating (through e-mail) of the order process. Anyways, the fixture has that modern look with its ovoid shape. Fan is quite. moonlights (2) are a white light color and give the water that shimmery look (nice). Overall I'm satisfied with the features and quality of the set. Now go get yourself a lighting set!

I just received my 20" today and have it setup on my 10g. I will take pictures tonight and post. So far it looks pretty good.

-moore

cant wait to see some pics. im getting mine delivered tomorrow. only thing is when i get off work i leave for a vacation, and wont see it until tuesday, so thanks for posting these pictures, so i can see how its going to be for me in a bit!

jAy

Just turned on my 24" CSL fixture. My tank is a 15 gallon regular - two weeks old today. The CSL kind of overwhelms the tank don't you think??

I just got my new light for this tank today. I went from a Coralife 28 watt cf hood to this new one and damn is all i can say. Its so much brighter and neater looking the hood. I couldn't pass the deal for 100 dollars. All I went for was the powerhead and out I came with a new light. :o

tataynic45,

I was considering the same fixture for a tank I'm setting up. The lights look great, but that moonlight seems kind of bright. Have you had any issues with fish having trouble sleeping or anything?

I can see where you're coming from although I don't believe you should have to worry. Although my flame starts off awake, it eventually enters into it's trance. Basically it is dark enough for the fish to realize it's sleeptime.

i set my light up today. i had just got home from a friends wedding out of town and was anxious to check it out. anyways i get home and one of the lights were broken, and the box had a gash in the middle along the back, at first i thought the whole thing was broken because i plugged it in, and nothing worked. i plugged both plugs in and both light ballasts work, just not the other broken light, duh. anyways, marineandreef.com, the company i bought the fixture from, is sending me a replacement for the broken light, no problem. the actinic is shining right now, and looks great. my little frogspawn and striped mushroom coral reacted to the light quickly. i cant wait until i get the 10k light in. the moonlite is nice too, which is one of the reasons i bought the light. my only problem now is finding a surge protector to hold all three light timers. the top is now open, my heat level has gone down, and i recommend the light to anyone thinking about getting it. ONE THING THOUGH...if you order it, and the box shows any signs of mishandling, do not except it. although my light works after being dropped, "by the company i work for!," i would have felt better refusing the package and getting a totally new light fixture altogether.

jAy

Archived