SaltCritters.com

StevieT's Red Sea Max Experience

StevieT

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
read back noob, this has been asked like 50 gagillion times.

:P

yes, I am, fully stock with the magical RSM bulbs.

ahahah noob? member since '06 here :lol:

nice to see what you can keep under the stock lighting

Does anyone else bring a print out of their tank to the LFS? I find it helpful so I can size corals, and remember what is in there to pick out appropriate live stock.

haha, yeah..... It provides me with reference so I don't get carried away and buy too much. That trip was a waste of my time, this is why I hate going to the LFS. :angry:

I print a picture of my tank and take it to LFS's to show them what their tanks should look like! :P:D J/K!

Those montis are looking real nice!!!!

Hay there StevieT, you have been ever so helpful in my posts, and as you prlly remember I was having regrets about my Eclipse 12g realizing its less than status quo for corals and nems, marineland is giving me a product of equal value (i decided on a protein skimmer) and my LFS is going to buy that from me and give me store cred basically, then I was on craigslist and found a RSM that was only 400 only a year old with stand, so hopefully I can close the deal on that, I am sooo glad I found your thread on your set up its quite lovely!

Thanks for the advice I'll keep you up to date on my soon to be RSM!

oh wow, what a story, and such a good price on a RSM! I hope you get it as well, it is a much nicer tank than a biocube. Let me know if you have any questions after you get it. I also went from an eclipse to a RSM!

I print a picture of my tank and take it to LFS's to show them what their tanks should look like! :P:D J/K!

Those montis are looking real nice!!!!

haha, or that! I actually stopped on my way back down at another LFS, this one had a much nicer stock. Picked up two fish and a coral. It has been such a LONG time since I have bought anything for my tank. The picture really helped becuase I would have purchase a coral that wouldn't have fit correctly.

Pics to come, fish acclimating right now

After a long hunt yesterday through two LFS stores, I have finally purchased some new livestock. I haven't done this since the spring, but with the loss of my purple firefish and Pajama Cardinal, I had some free bioload.

Purchased two Banggai cardinals, I have always wanted these fish but my pajama already killed one last fall. I also picked up a colt coral, nothing special but it shoudl fill in a blank area I was missing from the leather.

IMG_8117.jpg

IMG_8120.jpg

IMG_8124.jpg

IMG_8126.jpg

IMG_8128.jpg

IMG_8130.jpg

IMG_8127.jpg

IMG_8121.jpg

Holy crap its TJ_Burton!!!! :happy:

No kidding! Whats up TJ :)

So SDT... I passed up on a mandarin yesterday, but I was thinking the entire time, SDT has one, why can't I :lol:

You could easily do it, I have complete faith in you.

I am going to have two very soon, I already own a female, she is at the shop fattening up, and really getting good at eating out or a syringe. My male fights the glass all day so I think he deserves a girly to show off to, plus I have had him over a year now, so I am sure my tank can support them using the methods of feeding I use.

Well I miss you TJ, and your awesome reefing skills!

Good to see you stop in TJ! Thanks for typing on my thread :lol:

I have read over just about everything that you write on the mandarins SDT. I am at my office between 10-14 hours a day, so it isn't like I couldn't train the fish. I did find it interesting how they wanted to sell me pods to seed my 14 month old system, but what you say is to train them to eat mysis.

I may just pick one up soon, they are so beautiful.

I did as the guy at the LFS, now do you directly feed these? Or do you have such a high turnover that you dont' have to? He was honest and said people buy these left and right then they probably just die, haha

We wont sell any fish the day they come in(or a few days after if we can help it), and for mandarins, we will not sell them until they are trained, and we make sure they buy food for them, and we also teach them how to feed the fish.

You tank has as many pods as it is ever going to have, which will make nice snakcs for the fish and hold if over for weekends, but regular feeding is what keeps these fish long term.

no new mods.... I have been wrapped up in Biocubes and Aquapods, you know those crappy other tanks ;):lol:

I really can't think of much else this tank needs. Maybe a fuge basket if you didn't want to run a skimmer.

Also I wanted to point out to reef keepers and people who are getting into the hobby. Get a good reliable temperature probe. I had one of those coralife digital ten dollar ones and I ran my tank at 78-79 degrees, I used the fan when the temperature spiked and it was ok, not really but just ok. I then hooked up my chiller and it read 85 degrees, I thought oh hell I'm going to have to return my chiller. Well I got out my digilab probe out and the tank was running at 85 degrees and that really bummed me out. Now the tank runs around 79 degrees with no fail, I have a current 1/15 horsepower chiller and it is great, I got it off of ebay as a return for a great price.

So get a good reliable temperature probe. Or your tank might not be at the temperature you want it to be.

Archived