Pod Your Reef

Getting my BC 29 in shape

gheagney

Hi everyone. I am running a BC 29. Have had the tank for about 6-7 months, but for various reaons the tank has been slightly neglected. When I bought the tank from the lfs, he had already put the sand and water in the tank and had it cycling for several weeks. Once I got it home it continued to cycle with just the sand and water. After a few weeks, a couple chromis were added and some snails. Then I added a skimmer from Sapphire. I also added about 25 lbs of rock, with about 15 or so lbs being base rock and about 10 being live. Other than the skimmer the only modifications I've made were to widen the flow from the 1st to 2nd chambers and I am running a branched loc line set up.

Soon after I added the base rock, I started noticing brown diatom on the sand and the base rock started to turn a real flourecent lime green color. This has since turned to a deeper green color. It isnt a hair algea and I don't have a problem with algea on the glass. The live rock added doesn't seem to be unhealthy. The coraline looks ok. I am getting little spots of coraline starting to grow on the back wall and I've seen small pink spots growning on the base rock. The back wall also has some larger brown/green spots growing on it and I've noticed a pinkish purple algea in a few spots on the glass just below the sand bed. Does this sound bad? I was expecting more coraline growth by now. I'd like to get things straightened out and eventually start adding stuff to the tank. As of now it is pretty bare.

I am planning to check all the parameters and doing a water change in the next few days just to get an idea of exactly where everything is. I will post some pictures soon just to give everybody a better visual of what I am talking about. I know it's hard to diagnose without seeing and knowing the parameters, but I am just wondering if anybody has any initial thoughts on the situation and any ideas to get things back under control.

I will also note that I have a deep sand bed. It averages about 2 to 2.5 inches above the glass all the way around. And I am still running the stock lights. The actinics are on from about 10 am to 10 pm and the 10k lights kick on from about 12:30 pm to 6:30 pm.

Hope to get a few thoughts form you guys. I've seen alot of good looking tanks on here and hopefully I can get mine looking good soon too. Thanks, Gene

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

S5001369.jpg

S5001364.jpg

S5001377.jpg

You can see a bit of what I described before, such as the pinkish/purple spots on the glass just below the sand bed and the brown/green spots on the back wall and the green color on the rocks. Once I get the parameters as it is now, I'll post those as well.

gheagney,, first things first.. get you a good master test kit, check all your params. and go from there. if you havent done a water change in a while. i suggest doing at least a 30% change for a couple weeks.and use only RODI water!!!. you may have high phosphates causing the slime on sandbed. those deep sandbeds can hold some nasty airpockets. . trying getting some chemi-pure elite.. it cleared mine right up.. stick it in chamber 3.... but like i said you need to just test for everything to see where you stand... from the looks of your pics... what i would do is upgrade your pump.. and maybe add another powerhead to get all that standing gunk agitated.. that will clear it up, you could also get some Cerith,Magarita,Turbo snails, their a pretty effiecient CUC

Thanks for the tips. I do use RODI water. I did a water change about a week ago. I have been slacking on those lately, but that was about a 20% change. Are you suggesting weekly changes?

Secondly, I have Oceanic Ocean Master Test kit. It tests PH, alkalinity, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. I also just bought a Natureef Seawater Calcium analysis kit. Does this sound sufficient to you?

As far as the pump goes, thats next on my list. I just added the loc line set-up in the pics. I hope that will diffuse the flow all over the tank so that I wont have any dead spots. As you can see, it has about 8 little nozzles on each branch. So now I want to increase gph that I'm pumping. And I have a powerhead sitting around that I might just pop in for the mean time. I don't know that I want to keep it in there, but I will figure that out later, once I get a stronger pump.

And I have some purigen on hand, do you think that would do anything for me. I havent put it in the tank yet but won't hesitate to if you think it will do anything for me. Would I just drop the pouch in chamber 3, or put it in the place where the sponge would normally sit?

I know I'm asking alot of questions... thanks for your patience and advice.

Gene

You can put the purigen in that sponge spot in chamber three or in number one as well.

Also that filter in number one isn't doing to much the way you have it positioned. Most people strip down the filter frame and replace with an inexpensive filter medium so that in can be replaced often without incurring much expense. ALso the stock filter gets hopelessly clogged in a day, which is probably why you have it positioned that way. Use some chemipure elite to compensate for the lack of carbon that the stock filter contains.

Have you removed the false floor in chamber 1? This helps to keep the flow going even if the filter gets clogged a little.

What temp do you keep your tank at?

Cutting back the light to around 8 hours might also help your algae blooms.

Some poeple think that much sand is not good as well in a nano. Maybe an inch or less is what many shoot for.

Definetly go for the weekly water changes it makes a world of difference.

Since you are using the stock pump I would think that your lockline set up is actually restricting flow.

Hope thats not too much info at one time. Check out a few of the other BC29s and see how they are set up and that should point you in the right direction.

With a few minor changes that tank will be sweet!

yes definetly use the purigen..i have purigen pouch down in chamber 1, and Chempure elite, in chamber 3 where sponge was... i think your biggest problem is the FLOW and old water.. you neeed to replenish your trace elements.. i would suggest for a week or 2, do nice sized water change. prob aournd 5-6 gallons.. then drop down to 3g per week.. Water changes=beatiful, thriving reef :)

Never too much info haha. I was actually just removing the false floor and gutting my stock filter as you guys were posting. So thats done. I also dropped the purigen in chamber 3, but will probably get the chemipure and then put it there and move purigen to chamber 1.

Also, I have had my suspicions about the sand bed being too deep. I've heard that a deep sand bed is good and I've heard its bad. Personally I dont care for it. Im thinking of scooping a bunch out. That way I can get my rock lower. Then when thats done and I get all my params in order I can do my aquascaping and get my rock situated in a much more appealing way. I'd like to keep my rock lower in the tank and also far enough from the glass to run the magfloat by it. So the deeper the sand bed, the harder it is to do that. Eventually I plan on going for the 4.36 upgrade on lights, but I've got other things to handle right now. Next step is getting a better pump. Any suggestions? I just have to keep in mind that I can't suck chamber 2 dry because of the skimmer in there. I also want to run a powerhead, at least temporarily to keep things moving in there. I have one, but I don't like it much. I'll probably throw it in there just for the mean time, but I want one that I can live with forever if I need to.

As far as temps go, I have no idea really.... my thermometer says about 79 to 80, but I have my doubts on accuracy of it. Its kinda a cheapo. I'll be getting a better one soon. And my loc line set up may go soon too.... I just thought it would possibly agitate the water much better. Only problem is the jets aren't as strong as I would like. Might just go with the branched loc line with the flare nozzels. Water change and beefed up clean up crew to come. Im just glad to hear that I'm not screwed haha.

Thanks again

Gene

Your rocks should not be ontop of the sand anyway, it just creates dead spots.

You will be amazed at the results if you give your cube a little TLC

Most of BC owners have upgraded our pumps to RIO 6hf.... big difference.... i agree i would just go with the loc line split, with maybe 4 piecees on each side.. .. you would have to have a preetyy darn big pump to push it through all those jets in the pic above.lol

i like my sandbedd shallow,, its prob only 1/2in above glass... but thats just me..

Looks like I'll be scooping some sand. I'm sure its causing some problems and its taking up a lot of volume. As far as the rock placement goes, its just sitting in there. I didnt press it down into the sand or anyting. Should I or will the wight of the rock sitting push it far enough in there?

I've been reading that the 6hf is pretty much the pump of choice. Thats what I'm gonna go with. And I think I'm just gonna get the Koralia 1.... Fosters and Smith have them for like $30 right now.

Once I get the pump and powerhead, I think the only mod I will have left is the light/fan upgrade, but thats still down the road a little.

Thanks again for the info and help. I'll keep you updated.

Gene

How are you guys getting the chemi-pure elite to stay in the sponge holder in chamber 3? I tried to put the bag that it comes in in that area, but it just comes right out.

So, I put the bag in chamber 3 above the pump. And I released a bunch of fine black stuff from the pure-gen into the tank.

BTW, diggman, Divecj5 and Tuddizle are pretty much the BioCube 29 gurus around here. They kick ass.

yes definetly use the purigen..i have purigen pouch down in chamber 1, and Chempure elite, in chamber 3 where sponge was... i think your biggest problem is the FLOW and old water.. you neeed to replenish your trace elements.. i would suggest for a week or 2, do nice sized water change. prob aournd 5-6 gallons.. then drop down to 3g per week.. Water changes=beatiful, thriving reef :)

Can the sponge stay in chamber 3 and just put the chempure in the water there, or does it need the flow? Need to replace my chempure and want to try elite. Right now mine is in chamber 1.

Thanks

Also that filter in number one isn't doing to much the way you have it positioned. Most people strip down the filter frame and replace with an inexpensive filter medium so that in can be replaced often without incurring much expense. ALso the stock filter gets hopelessly clogged in a day, which is probably why you have it positioned that way. Use some chemipure elite to compensate for the lack of carbon that the stock filter contains.

Have you removed the false floor in chamber 1? This helps to keep the flow going even if the filter gets clogged a little.

Sorry to get in here on top of someone's post, but I have another question.

When you say take out the filter and put in inexpensive filter medium, what would that be? The purigen you guys are talking about? I have noticed it gets real dirty fast, and can get expensive to change ever 2 weeks.

Thanks.

Sorry to get in here on top of someone's post, but I have another question.

When you say take out the filter and put in inexpensive filter medium, what would that be? The purigen you guys are talking about? I have noticed it gets real dirty fast, and can get expensive to change ever 2 weeks.

Thanks.

filter mod looks something like this.

morepics005.jpg

morepics006.jpg

To keep the purigen in chamber 3 I cut down my stock sponge to about 2 inches and use it as a stopper on top of the purigen bag to hold it in place.

It is my understanding that both the purigen and chemipure need flow to work, or at least work better with flow. I filled the bottom of Chamber 1 w/ LR rubble up to the bottom of the bottom vent that way the chemipure or purigen is not down in that fairly low flow space.

Also the purigen should be effective for about 3 months, so it will look dirty but will still be working.

Looks like I'll be scooping some sand. I'm sure its causing some problems and its taking up a lot of volume. As far as the rock placement goes, its just sitting in there. I didnt press it down into the sand or anyting. Should I or will the wight of the rock sitting push it far enough in there?

I've been reading that the 6hf is pretty much the pump of choice. Thats what I'm gonna go with. And I think I'm just gonna get the Koralia 1.... Fosters and Smith have them for like $30 right now.

Once I get the pump and powerhead, I think the only mod I will have left is the light/fan upgrade, but thats still down the road a little.

Gene

When putting the rock ontop of the sand it is the compression of the sand which causes the dead spots. Try if possible to gently wiggle the rock down to prevent compression.

You will be very happy with the Koralia 1 and the rio6hf and it will help greatly with the your algae problem.

I might even be tempted to add a treatment of Chemiclean which is a cyano and excess bacteria remover. But adding excess chemicals is frownd upon by many reefers. I had a cyano outbreak a few weeks back and cleaned it up by covering the tank with a blanket for 24 hrs and skipped a days light cycle.

Gene

Be careful scooping out the sand to avoid stirring it up too much. Releasing the trapped detritus back into the water column could have some adverse affects on your tank chemistry.

Rio 6hf in my tank and have had good results. I also have one in my main display as a powerhead. I am thinking of goint for the Koralia 2 though as I want to have some good flow for the SPS I am trying to keep.

I have the 4.36 light upgrade and so far like the results. A few here have gone open top with MH. Ultimately your choice on where to go but for me I am keeping with the 4.36 until I see it does not work well enough with my SPS experiment.

Hope that helps a little. Enjoy whatever you get into. It's a great, bua a tad expensive, hobby.

PS also you need to get something stirring the sand and eating the detritus down there. My suggestion is about (3) nassirius snails and about (8) small ceriths.

mine Chempure E kinda just sitting in chamber 3, half way in slot and half just sittin over pump.. its fine... i fought Diatoms , cyano problem for about 2 month, bought CP Elite, taadddaa.. pearly white sand every since :) , the added Koralia 1 plays a big role too.. all in all your trying to get this tank back on the right foot... start here : WATER QUALITY, FLOW, LIGHTING

I might even be tempted to add a treatment of Chemiclean which is a cyano and excess bacteria remover. But adding excess chemicals is frownd upon by many reefers. I had a cyano outbreak a few weeks back and cleaned it up by covering the tank with a blanket for 24 hrs and skipped a days light cycle.

I may go ahead and give it a dose since I don't have anything to speak of in my tank. Just the rock, a chromi and a couple zebra snails. I think I even have a couple baby zebras growing in there too. And I have a snail that the lfs said was an olive snail, but looking online it doesnt appear to be one, scooting around in the sand bed. I'm also going to be going to buy some nassirius' and such. But first course of action is going to be pump upgrade, koralia 1, and chemipure elite with a couple good water changes. I've already cut the lights back a few hours. If im still struggling with things, I'll probably dose it with chemiclean.

I'd really like to get the sand bed lowered. Do you think just scooping out a little sand every day or so would be acceptable to avoid stirring up a ton of the junk and therefore limiting the negative effects?

BTW, diggman and Tuddizle are pretty much the BioCube 29 gurus around here.

I think you left a couple off :) . Just kidding.

Looks like you are well on your way of tiddying things up there in your slice of the reef. Just took about 5 minutes to read the posts from last night and all good advice. I am with Spanko....make sure you are careful not to take out too much of the sand bed at one time. This will only release all of the bacteria, the good and bad stuff back into the tank. Definitely don't want that.

You can check out my thread over in the Members forum....although we've all pretty much done the same modifications to the BC29s.

It sounds like you are getting ready to turn things in the right direction with the tank and like Digg said, keep up with those water changes and things will be on their way.

Before you remove the sand, you can use a undergravel filter siphon when you do water changes to clean the sand before you remove it. This removes built up detritus from the sand.

Also, you could reduce the amount of time you are lighting your tank. You dont ahve anyhting in there, so you dont need 8 hours a day right now.

I'll throw out some props to dive and his wisdom B)

Maybe get a 1" hose and see if you can actually siphon some of the sand out with your waterchanges, at least the top layer with all the gunky stuff.

Archived