Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

H20's Nano-Reef AquaPod 24

H20

This has been the best . .. most informativve thread that i have head so far.

I have head this enitre thread in the last 2 days after work and it has been a rewarding experience. . .please never feel as though your donation to this site is unappreciated. I think that for everyone here who has poseted a thank you there are numerous other who have been helped yet remain silent.

I know I am not alone when I say thanks for all your help/pictures/research/inspiration.

I have been thinking of getting into this hobby for quite some time now and i have yet to make the plunge. . .you make it seem do-able and not out of my reach.

I also really liked that list of what you bought at the begining of the thread

Just one question if you wouldn't mind:

Knowing what you know now what would you have bought at the begining of you tank set-up and what would you not have got??

Thanks in advance

Thank you for the compliments, I am hoping that people out there are benefiting from my journey... :D

As far as stuff that I bought at the beginning and didn't need it, or haven't used it:

The API phosphate kit, I am not sure that this reads accurate enough to be useful. I ended up using it a few times, and the color that came out didn't even match the color card, and I have since read that phosphates exist without ever showing up in test kits, so who knows... I never use it.

The arm length rubber gloves. That was a waste of money to me. I needed my wifes help moving some rock one time and I let her wear them, but that is all the use I have gotten out of them.

The SeaChem SeaGel. I have never used it nor the media bags that I bought for it. I found it better and easier to get Purigen in the prepacked media bags, and toss one into the rear chamber on my eggcrate shelf.

At one point I bought some Purple Up coralline accelerator, but only used it a couple of times. I would have passed on that if I could go back.

I bought a Hydor Flo rotating head that goes on the outlet hole in the back wall to make random flow patterns, but it would not work on my AquaPod, as the outlet hole on the back wall is so close to the surface, when it the rotation go to the top, it sprayed water all over the light sheild in the hood. Took it off after one minute and it has been sitting in the cabinet since.

One thing that took me a few months to start doing, was to get a small powerhead like a Maxijet to use just for water changes. I was just using vinyl tubing at first and getting a siphon going to drain water out of the tank, and to put water back into the tank. I soon found out that dropping a powerhead into the tank or bucket and pumping it through the tubing was much faster and easier. I highly recommend doing this from the start.

At the beginning, I was using boxed Natural sea water. While it worked well for me, I feel that mixing my own saltwater and been cheaper and very easy. I was so new to all this at first, I was slightly fearful of mixing my own salt up, as I was nervous that I didn't know what I was doing and would mess something up. After doing it the first couple of times, it is a breeze now. Saves money and you don't have to lug around those boxes.

I have bought various things here and there I ended up not using, but those are a few right off the top of my head.

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How to mix salt and do a water change:

As I have received PM's and questions about different things, I thought while I had a moment, I would describe how I go about mixing my salt and doing a water change, for anyone that might be new and following along. This is how I go about my mixes and changes, but it is by no means the 'best way' or 'correct' way, it is just how I do it.

Needed items:

Two 5-gallon buckets

powerhead/pump and some vinyl tubing that fits onto it.

Salt mix

measuring cup

heater

RO/DI water (or whatever purified water that you normally use, I recommend RO/DI)

1. Take the first 5-gallon bucket and put your pump into the bottom of the bucket. Stick your heater inside the bucket with the suction cups. Pour your purified water in to the bucket (however much you plan on doing a water change for).

2. Plug in the pump and heater and make sure they come on.

3. Get your measuring cup and slowly add your salt to the water. Most salt mixes use about 1/2 cup per gallon to achieve around 1.025 salinity. Slowly pour it in, as if you just dump it in, it will stay cloudy longer and the calcium might precipitate on you.

4. Use a square of cardboard or something to cover your bucket as it mixes, to keep out dust, lint, junk that might fall into the bucket.

5. I suggest letting it mix overnight. This is referred to 'aging' the water. It will help get your pH and numbers to a more adequate level. If you are in emergency scenario, it is fine to mix the water on the spot and add it to your tank. Aging it just helps you balance everything to where your tank water it at, to match the numbers as closely as possible.

6. When the water is mixed (I like to let it run for 24 hours), you need to test the water. You want to make sure that if possible, your temperature, pH, and salinity match your existing tank water. I highly recommend a refractometer over a hydrometer for testing salinity. You can get a nice one at Drs. Foster and Smith for around $40. If your salinity is too high, add some more purified water. If it is too low, add a little more salt mix. I try to keep everything around 1.025.

7. If these numbers in the bucket are similar to your tank, you are ready for your water change.

Here is how I go about my water change:

I take the 2nd bucket (which is empty) to where my tank is. I turn off all the pumps in my tank to where everything is calm. I unplug the powerhead that is in the first bucket doing the mixing, and attach about a 8 foot piece of vinyl tubing to it. I then lower the powerhead into the tank, and make sure that the other end of the tubing is in the empty bucket. Plug in the powerhead. It will begin to suck water out of your tank. When the empty bucket fills up to approximately the same level as the bucket that was mixing, unplug the powerhead. Make sure to lift the powerhead out of the water, as it will continue to siphon even though you have unplugged it. Lifting it out of the water will break the siphon. Remove the powerhead and tubing, and go get your mixed bucket. Set it somewhere next to your tank. Get the powerhead with the tubing on it, and now lower the powerhead into your newly made saltwater bucket. Get the end of the tubing and put it into the tank (you will probably have to hold it in there so it doesn't flop out. Plug in the powerhead and it will pump the new water into the tank. I like to point the hose into the back chamber of my Aquapod, and onto my newly changed out filter floss. It keeps everything in the tank from getting stirred up from the force of the new water coming in from the tubing. When it has pumped out all of the new water into the tank, unplug the powerhead. If the new water didn't quite fill up the tank enough, you can always use a cup or something and dip it into the bucket of old tank water that you pumped out, and add enough of the old water to get your tank back up the the exact level that you want the water in your tank. Turn all the tank pumps back on, and you have just done your first water change. Not much to it really, and the more you do them, it will all get faster and faster. I remember my first water change taking me like 3 hours....lol Now I do it in about 20 minutes.

I then take the bucket of old water and just pour it down the toilet. Then I take everything and rinse all my equipment that I used really well with freshwater in the sink or tub or something.

I would also recommend putting some towels or a big mat down when doing your changes. You will inevitably drip or spill water on the floor.........

How to mix salt and do a water change:

As I have received PM's and questions about different things, I thought while I had a moment, I would describe how I go about mixing my salt and doing a water change, for anyone that might be new and following along. This is how I go about my mixes and changes, but it is by no means the 'best way' or 'correct' way, it is just how I do it.

Needed items:

Two 5-gallon buckets

powerhead/pump and some vinyl tubing that fits onto it.

Salt mix

measuring cup

heater

RO/DI water (or whatever purified water that you normally use, I recommend RO/DI)

1. Take the first 5-gallon bucket and put your pump into the bottom of the bucket. Stick your heater inside the bucket with the suction cups. Pour your purified water in to the bucket (however much you plan on doing a water change for).

2. Plug in the pump and heater and make sure they come on.

3. Get your measuring cup and slowly add your salt to the water. Most salt mixes use about 1/2 cup per gallon to achieve around 1.025 salinity. Slowly pour it in, as if you just dump it in, it will stay cloudy longer and the calcium might precipitate on you.

4. Use a square of cardboard or something to cover your bucket as it mixes, to keep out dust, lint, junk that might fall into the bucket.

5. I suggest letting it mix overnight. This is referred to 'aging' the water. It will help get your pH and numbers to a more adequate level. If you are in emergency scenario, it is fine to mix the water on the spot and add it to your tank. Aging it just helps you balance everything to where your tank water it at, to match the numbers as closely as possible.

6. When the water is mixed (I like to let it run for 24 hours), you need to test the water. You want to make sure that if possible, your temperature, pH, and salinity match your existing tank water. I highly recommend a refractometer over a hydrometer for testing salinity. You can get a nice one at Drs. Foster and Smith for around $40. If your salinity is too high, add some more purified water. If it is too low, add a little more salt mix. I try to keep everything around 1.025.

7. If these numbers in the bucket are similar to your tank, you are ready for your water change.

Here is how I go about my water change:

I take the 2nd bucket (which is empty) to where my tank is. I turn off all the pumps in my tank to where everything is calm. I unplug the powerhead that is in the first bucket doing the mixing, and attach about a 8 foot piece of vinyl tubing to it. I then lower the powerhead into the tank, and make sure that the other end of the tubing is in the empty bucket. Plug in the powerhead. It will begin to suck water out of your tank. When the empty bucket fills up to approximately the same level as the bucket that was mixing, unplug the powerhead. Make sure to lift the powerhead out of the water, as it will continue to siphon even though you have unplugged it. Lifting it out of the water will break the siphon. Remove the powerhead and tubing, and go get your mixed bucket. Set it somewhere next to your tank. Get the powerhead with the tubing on it, and now lower the powerhead into your newly made saltwater bucket. Get the end of the tubing and put it into the tank (you will probably have to hold it in there so it doesn't flop out. Plug in the powerhead and it will pump the new water into the tank. I like to point the hose into the back chamber of my Aquapod, and onto my newly changed out filter floss. It keeps everything in the tank from getting stirred up from the force of the new water coming in from the tubing. When it has pumped out all of the new water into the tank, unplug the powerhead. If the new water didn't quite fill up the tank enough, you can always use a cup or something and dip it into the bucket of old tank water that you pumped out, and add enough of the old water to get your tank back up the the exact level that you want the water in your tank. Turn all the tank pumps back on, and you have just done your first water change. Not much to it really, and the more you do them, it will all get faster and faster. I remember my first water change taking me like 3 hours....lol Now I do it in about 20 minutes.

I then take the bucket of old water and just pour it down the toilet. Then I take everything and rinse all my equipment that I used really well with freshwater in the sink or tub or something.

I would also recommend putting some towels or a big mat down when doing your changes. You will inevitably drip or spill water on the floor.........

You always seem to post the right thing. just when someone needs it..

Great info.. i did a five gallon chage this am using my vacuum siphon.. took me forever.

Zebra hermits when small are harmless but once they get big they start to use that large claw of theirs to kill snails and other hermits....They are worse than scarlet hermits thats for sure

Thanks for chiming in. I'm going to stick with my favorites, "Mexican red legs;" and the occasional Scarlet.

H20, your helpful tutorials are appreciated by more than just newbies. I always learn something from you! So glad I'm subscribed to your thread.

--Diane

Great Info as Always, H20.

I use the same technique and use the HOT Magnum filter (which incidentally, I learned by reading your thread). It's been a life saver to use this filter because I've got too much detritus accumulating in the back of the tank and between the Tonga branches. The magnum really helped with Export.

Quickly figured out that it's best to fill it up before using.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for no updates lately, but I am currently in the process of building and starting a 75g tank, so I have the 24g in holding mode. I haven't wanted to add any critters or coral to the 24g lately, as it would be more stress to have to have them change tanks when I make the transition. I have been taking pics along the way, and will be making a 75g build thread in the large tanks forum soon.

Sorry for no updates lately, but I am currently in the process of building and starting a 75g tank, so I have the 24g in holding mode. I haven't wanted to add any critters or coral to the 24g lately, as it would be more stress to have to have them change tanks when I make the transition. I have been taking pics along the way, and will be making a 75g build thread in the large tanks forum soon.

Thanks for this wonderful thread H20. You have been an inspiration and have definitely helped me start my own 24g aquapod thanks to your detailed information. Myself and others really appreciate the effort to document your steps, it's helped me immensely in my setup.

Looking forward to seeing your new tank, i'm sure it will be even better. Thanks again.

Very nice. Looking forward to it.

Face off:

I caught an interesting sequence last night on camera. I was feeding the tank some Cyclop-eeze, and all the tank inhabitants were going nuts running around eating the stuff.

I was watching a few of the crabs battle on the sand for prime positioning for the falling cyclopeeze, when I noticed that my rarely seen Randalls pistol shrimp was coming out of one of his many burrows. He was sensing the food and was apparently hungry and not going to let anyone get in his way of his dinner.

Right outside his burrow was the Cleaner Shrimp, a big blueleg hermit, and a really big Scarlett hermit.

I first saw him sticking his head out of his hole.

IMG_1084.jpg

Here he comes, sneaking up behind them. (Sorry for the coralline on the glass, I need to scrape it.)

IMG_1085.jpg

IMG_1088.jpg

He walks out into the crowd of critters, guns a blazin. POW POW POW. The critters took off in a mad dash. It was reminiscent of that scene in the 'Tombstone' movie when Kurt Russell playing Wyatt Earp walked out into the middle of the river with everyone shooting at him, and him standing out in the middle shooting everyone up, and him not getting hit. That was the Pistol Shrimp, Wyatt Earp. Maybe I just found a name for him. :D

IMG_1090.jpg

Here he is standing his ground on the base of my Duncan Coral.

IMG_1105.jpg

It was a funny scene. I have never seen him so brave. He normally just barely sticks his head out of the hole trying to scavenge for some food.

Here is one last picture, my Acan grabbing up some Cyclop-eeze.

IMG_1112.jpg

nice acan....is it an aussie?

Yes, if I remember correctly. I can't remember the name that the fish store gave it, 'raspberry ice' or something like that. But I think it did say that is was an Aussie Lord.

I look forward to reading your thread on your 75g in the future. However, please don't delete this one. I, and I'm sure many others, refer to this one many times on how to mod something or hook something up from your many tutorials and pictures. For example, I had your pictures up on the screen when I was hooking my Mighty Mite up because the instructions I received with it made no sense to me. I also had it up when I built the shelf to hold the filter floss. There are many of us silent lurkers who you have helped in a huge way. Thank you for helping me understand this hobby alot more.

Robin

This thread is better than television. Words cannot do your dedication justice. Placing my order for my tank today. I have been waiting for the right time to get back into the hobby. After finishing all 17 pages of this thread, I am inspired.

This has been a great thread to read through. I really think you are on to something with that hang on Magnum filter. I remember cycling rocks in my tank and looking at all that junk on them flapping around in the current and wondering what to do about it. That's a great way to get it out of there rather quickly and easily without compromising the main filtration in the tank. By removing all that organic matter from the tank it never gets a chance to break down and form nutrients that can fuel algae growth. Your tanks look clean and great!

IMO testing calc+ alk on your new saltwater is just as important as testing salinity + ph. I recently had an calc + alk swing(calc dropped to 340 from 420, alk dropped to 7 from 11) because the saltwater I got from a lfs was bad, causing some SPS to RTN-ing, just my 2c.

IMO testing calc+ alk on your new saltwater is just as important as testing salinity + ph. I recently had an calc + alk swing(calc dropped to 340 from 420, alk dropped to 7 from 11) because the saltwater I got from a lfs was bad, causing some SPS to RTN-ing, just my 2c.

I agree. I test for Ca and Alk on my tank and for water changes, and am starting to test for Mg.

How loud is the Pistol shrimp?

He is quite loud for his little size. I can hear him POP from across the room, and the clicking/pop sound is unmistakable. I was just feeding the tank while ago, and saw the pistol shrimp come out looking for food. A hermit was nearby, and as it got near him, I saw him extend his big claw and "POP". The force of the impact blew the pistol shrimp back into his hole. It was funny, and the first time that I have gotten to witness his 'pistol' up close.

Damn it! I just spent 2 hours reading the WHOLE thread only to find out your upgrading?!

Either way, great thread. Very informative. I'll definitely be watching the new build. AP looked great can't wait to see what you do with the 75.

The Move:

After all of the work that I put into this tank, and this is all that is left of it: :lol:

100_1877.jpg

I got everything moved over yesterday to my new 75g. The results of that are shown in my new 75g tank thread, which can be accessed by clicking the 75g link below.

I guess this tank is officially over with now, may use it for a quarantine tank or something. Thanks to all who followed along and provided feedback, help, and encouragement. I will keep my 75g thread updated regularly.

It's an end of an era :)

But, this thread should stay up to keep people informed. The legacy continues.......... And it's true that you'll probably need a quarantine tank to add fishes and corals to your new big tank.

• 6 months later...

Archived