Top Shelf Aquatics

Aquaglobe Power Heads

robsreef

Not trying to steal anyone's thunder or business, but I just ordered these from www.captiveraisedcorals.com for $10.99 each and that includes 3 day priority mail. They are running a special on all the models at this price, so stock up even if you don't need one now!! I have seen these on other web sites for as much as $24.99 each without shipping.

I was skeptical at first but these little suckers put out. I need small powerheads to replace my Rio 120 and because I have a black back tank these also blend right in. It cost me almost as much for 2 shipped then I paid for my Rio from my LFS. Very small and quiet. I put on behind my LR to kill some dead zones and you can't even see it back there.

I also wanted to say this site is great and I've learned a lot from your posts. I thought I'd just share the wealth and pass on a good deal.

Take it easy,

-Rob

JonnyMiata

Rob,

I had my MC out ready to order and it seems they only take Discover. I tried to call but the number is out of order. I guess I will be ordering from PetSupply.com.

Jon

Thanks for the tip!! I already have 2 and at this price couldn't pass it up.

JonnyMiata - They do take Visa and MC, just click on the drop down button.

They do take MC and Visa if you drop down the box. He also ships very fast and responds to email within a day. Charles Greiner runs the place and has great customer service from my last 2 dealings with him. I wish all online retailers were this responsive.

As far as calling him I never tried. I usually give a merchant 24-48 hours to get back to my questions through email and if they don't respond they don't get the business.

Hope that helped,

-Rob

JonnyMiata

That worked! I am an idiot. I guess I rushed thru it and didn't see the drop down.

Thanks for the great tip!

Jonny

The box does not have a version on it. I took a good look at them before I stuck them in the tank so who knows only time will tell. They seem well built and everything was tight and of good quality. (As good as any other power head I've looked at in my LFS.) The key here is their size. In a nano especially you don't want all that gear taking up your tank, but I will check on them when doing regular tank maintenance and let you guys know if something gets sideways with them.

So far though they are way quiet and so dang small. It's hard to imagine how much more flow these things can add. Hell at $11.00 a piece I wouldn't complain to much if I had to replace them once a year. I can't leave my LFS without spending at least that on stuff I'm sure I don't need. My paychecks should be made payable to them since I got in to this hobby a few years ago!!

-Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my Aquaglobe 200 & 100 I ordered from them..

The globe 200 had that loose nozzle problem at first, but after re-attaching the nozzle a different way, it seems to be more normal.

The globe 100 is seems fine.

Both of them came with all the attachments. Venturi, small filter screen, large filter w/sponge etc.

It only cost $21.98 shipped priority mail for both of the powerheads and the shipping box says it cost $12.15 for the shipping..... :o

Sweet!

I'm glad you got the same deal I did. I wonder how he can ship these things and only charge what he does?!?

-Rob

Sucks tiny air bubbles in.....you don't want it unless it's driving a skimmer or you want bubbles in your tank!

I just got mine and LOVE IT! This is a special deal!!!! Charles is just blowing out some inventory. He said he is losing money with every sell, but need to move them!!! I got mine for the $10.99 you see on-line, then he pony's up for $5.75 S+H from NY to Portland, OR.......Amazing!!!

I'll post some pics of mine too when I get home! I did some mods to fit a different nozzle on the end to get better flow distribution. Might help of the nozzles they come with don't do the job.

-Rob

how many of these for a 12 gallon eclipse? I haven't bought my powerheads yet, and this looks like a GREAT deal.

I use 2 in a 10 gallon. One in the upper corner pointing down and center. One on the back pointing sideways. (Blowing through the back of my LR between the rock and back of the tank) This way with both jets going I get a downward clockwise flow that keeps all the deadspots moving. The only area that has heavy flow is right in front of the jets. The fish only get blown around if they happen to swim right in front of one. I get no sand movement and all my corals seem to like where their at flow wise. Plus the movement sends any solid particles right past the pickup of my skimmer so that's always a good thing.

So my suggestion would be 2. The 175 or 200 for your main (top) and a 100 or 150 for your dead spot killer (back).

I'll post pictures of my setup in a bit to make it easier to understand.

-Rob

I've got the tank pictures but can't get them to post

Okay it's a dumb question but how do you attach your images?!?

Thanks

-Rob

They come with a transformer that you plug in to your power strip. From there the wire is about 4-6 feet and goes into the powerhead (fixed). The end that goes into the transformer has a power plug much like any ac adapter for a cd player or cell phone charger etc...

Easy to use and keeps the heat out of the tank. That is why these things can be so small.

-Rob

(still trying to get this image thing figured out)

you guys sure about this? I bought 2 of these back in the day and they both busted. Rather rusted actually. Although i am not the best with power heads- i actually had a minijet blow up once an release a puff of putrid gas that went around the house for like 3 days. Parents did like that one at all...whoof.

Ride the big one-

-Luke

What exactly rusted on your powerhead causing it to fail? The magnet, metal rod, case or all 3?

I've had 1 metal rod that holds the magnet/impeller corrode away on me, causing it to eventually break in half.

The big problem I've had with aquaglobes is that allot of them have nozzles that are waaaaay too loose so they have to be taped/glued down somehow or they spin out of control if 1 copepod touches them.

Hmmmm, here's a list of the powerheads I have from them...(think I'm forgetting one though)

1. globe 200 - metal rod broke in half - workin fine after replacing impeller/rod for months now.

2. Globe 300 - loose nozzle

3. Globe 300 - nozzle so messed up it doesnt even stay on when off, and doesnt work 90% of the time because of this.

4. globe 100 - works fine

5. globe 200 - loose nozzle

Quite a bit of problems, but at least they always sent me free replacements for the ones that were seriously messed up, although they ship there items in plain envelopes.

Yeah my aquaglobe magnet rusted on one of them, and then on the other one as I was pulling the little top off I snaped the rod in half. The only bd thing I could really find about these power heads was (besides the other things) that there is no like filter or anything for them. If a pieces of algae or something gets sucked in there and wraps around that impellar rod and stop it? you just busted a aquaglobe. So Buy at your own risk. They still are TINY little things and push out ALOT for there size. Just be careful with them.

My 2 cents.

-Luke

Hopefully they have addressed the problem with these units. I seem to remember someone posting on another thread that Aquaglobe came out with a new version that had new/better quality parts so hopefully these are them?!?

The three I have seem to be well built and in fact the nozzles are almost to tight on two of them so once in place I don't think they're going anywhere.

But as with anything everyones experiences will differ. I used Rios for years and I know everyone has a love/hate realtionship with those but mine never gave out on me.

-Rob

Originally posted by NJLuke

Yeah my aquaglobe magnet rusted on one of them, and then on the other one as I was pulling the little top off I snaped the rod in half. The only bd thing I could really find about these power heads was (besides the other things) that there is no like filter or anything for them. If a pieces of algae or something gets sucked in there and wraps around that impellar rod and stop it? you just busted a aquaglobe. So Buy at your own risk. They still are TINY little things and push out ALOT for there size. Just be careful with them.

My 2 cents.

-Luke

You got no filter for them? You got jacked. All mine came with a foam and a hard filter cover.

Archived