Top Shelf Aquatics

Reeferboys Bc29

REEFERBOY

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AUG 10TH,2009

After 3 20% water changes across 2 days i bought an ember blenny to replace my bicolor blenny that was killed by the boxfish releasing toxins into the water, i would say im lucky to have only lost one fish. WARNING DO NOT BUY BOXFISH/COWFISH WITHOUT UNDERSTANDING THE RISK.

On a happier note the ember blenny is super cool and has amazing colors

The tank as a whole seems much happier with the stock lighting back one powerhead removed and new quality live rock, already there is much pigger polyp extension and the torch coral is much fuller :)

ALRIGHT NANO REEFERS !!!! NEW SCAPE NEW PICS

today i went nuts and completely replaced all the rock in my tank, i had become tired of the aquascape and things honestly had gone way down hill since i converted to open top with mh jbj viper. all my coraline had gone due to the lack of blue in the mh and i have not only changed out all existing rock with new cured rock but have also gone back to original stock hood, i have also removed one of my koralia powerheads beacuse i felt i had too much flow. everything has responded well (existing fish and corals) AND EVEN LOOKS BETTER than just 24hrs ago.

AUGUST 6TH 2009 (2 YRS 6 MONTHS INTO MY ADVENTURE) STOCK LIST AND MODS

-peppermint shrimp x3

-emerald crab x1

-blue hermits x 12

-scarlett red hermits x3

-snails (mixed varities) x 10

-jawfish (2 inch)

-firefish (1.5 inch)

-yellow canary wrasse (1.5 inch)

-clownfish x2 (1 inch each)

-boxfish (.75 inch)

-spotted green mandarin (1 inch)

-bi colored blenny (1.5 inch)

total fish length = 10.25 inches....29 gallon tank i know im maxed

-torch coral

-orange dendro coral (one main spawned 4 babies)

-blue sponge

-green mushroom

-red mushroom

-fire and ice zoa

-other random zoas x4

-galaxy coral

-sun coral (only 2 heads free from lfs)

-a couple of others that i dont know the names off

22 pounds live rock

removed bioballs

stevie T's media rack, fuge basket, and fish saver

maxijet 900

tunze auto top off

weekly water changes 5 gallon paint bucket (20% after accounting for rock displacement)

dosing currently with purple up to hopefully bring back the PURPLE coraline

feed cyclops, brine, mysis 3x per week, dried seaweed 1x per week, pellet food 3x per week

HERES SOME PICS OF THE NEW AQUASCAPE AUGUST 14TH 2009

IMG_0196.jpg

IMG_0197.jpg

IMG_0198.jpg

IMG_0200.jpg

IMG_0202.jpg

IMG_0207.jpg

BELOW

stevie t media basket and fuge basket and underwater lights and filter foss (day before water change )

IMG_0212.jpg

IMG_0208.jpg

IMG_0209.jpg

BELOW

left chamber with tunze auto top off (right side)

IMG_0211.jpg

TORCH hosted by clowns

IMG_0213.jpg

IMG_0214.jpg

IMG_0215.jpg

galaxy coral

IMG_0217.jpg

IMG_0219.jpg

IMG_0218.jpg

ember blenny

IMG_0221.jpg

lets me know your thoughts on the new scape nano reefers

thx med red!! hes doubled in size since i got hime and is now about 3 inches in length and his head is probably and inch x an inch no lie, ill try n get a pic of him out n about

• 3 weeks later...

Omg so my blue sponge decided to die across 2 hours last night followed shortly within the hour by my 80 dollar ember blenny and 2 hours later by my 50 dollar jawfish have done 2 20% water changes with the first 12 hours of realizing the problem have removed the dying sponge and will do two additonal water changes across hours 24 to 36, am slightly worried about 4 water changes with 30 hours but my spotted mandarin is looking rough too so im desperate my ricordia (x3) are in rough shape plus my finger leather and 2 sets of my 8 sets of polyps. It's amazing what dying fish or corals can do to other inhabitants of your tank within hours of dying. Any suggestions welcome

On top of losing two fish my 3 orange rics are shriveled up my zoas are looking unhappy and my toadstool is shrunk and my xenia are all shrunk and not pulsing even after 3 water changes in the last 48 hrs. The culprit was definitly the blue sponge dying which after some heavy googling has shown that when certain blue sponges die they release toxins. I do wonder why it died as it had been fine for over 2 years .....

• 1 year later...

everything basically almosy crashed about 5 months ago due to incorrect hydrometer :( i was running 1.029-30 when i thought i was running 1.024-25.

Lesson learned always have two hydrometers, one you use for weekly water changes and one you use maybe once a month to check the others effectiveness

On a good note i now run a mini protien skimmer the Aquatic Life Internal Mini Protein Skimmer 115 which is AWESOME !!! pulls out some real dirty stuff which in addition to my water changes make me feel much better about my water quality.

i enjoy my new acquascape and have gone back to the viper MH 150 hang on from JBJ....i thought about going LED but most said MH is the way to go tho ill admit im burning from water on my auto top off at about 4-5 gallons a week !!!!!

only have 3 fishies right now, an awesome clown, a jawfish, and a purple fish of some kind i like, not gonna get anymore til i add to my clean up crew first.

ill try to get some pics up asap to show you all how things are going 3.5 years in.

crazy anenomes cant just stay put !!! ima leave it where it is n see how it does it must of gone there for a reason

will try n post betrer quality pics tonight...heading out to buy clean up crew right meow.

also i just started using acquavitro salt i heard really good stuff anybody have any opinions?

mini skimmer skimmate, pulls a cup of this a day, maybe better if it pulled a cup of darker every 2 i dunno

IMG_1894.jpg

stevie t media rack and fuge

IMG_1895.jpg

clown and the torch he hosts

IMG_1900.jpg

IMG_1859.jpg

green starpolyps

IMG_1899.jpg

frogspawn

IMG_1890.jpg

i dont know what this is but it started with only 4 polyps

IMG_1887.jpg

buble coral

IMG_1886.jpg

red dendro i think

IMG_1883.jpg

jawfish

IMG_1882.jpg

FTS

IMG_1877.jpg

LETS GET SOME FEEDBACK FROM YOU FELLOW REEFERS

feeeeeeeeeedddddddddd

baaccccccckkkk

pppplllllllzzzz

im gonna remove lower mid small rock beside red dendro thing which will make tank symmetrical.

should my duncans be on sand or rock?

moved some corals around n bought some red blastomussa, hairy elephant ear, zoa frag. will post pics soon.

should duncans be on sand or rock?

i dont know what this is but it started with only 4 polyps

IMG_1887.jpg

looks like duncans to me

Duncans, I have them as well. I currently have mine on the sand bed as mine have a really long "stem/trunk" so to speak, but they don't need to be.

I believe the "red dendro" thing is a carnation tree coral of some sort.

some top down pics and new FTS after moving corals around

IMG_1929.jpg

IMG_1912.jpg

IMG_1924.jpg

IMG_1930.jpg

IMG_1941.jpg

jawfish

IMG_1931.jpg

new zoas

IMG_1938.jpg

IMG_1940.jpg

bubble coral seems unhappy in new location but ima give it a couple of days before any more stress, red carnation tree also seems to need a spot with more flow (thx for id) so ima move today but rock its on is huge which sucks. Anenome seems very happy in spot where bubble coral was before. tank as a whole is vastly improved since getting new hydrometer. all readings are now where they should be. should i get my clown a friend ? who does it not really matter?? (the other died) i only have 3 fish total....wouldn't mind a bi color blenny again (super friendly) or a hawkfish (aso super friendly). was thinking a clown goby...can anyone recommend a good amount of fish for bio-load....??

let me know your thoughts people.

• Christopher Marks changed the title to Reeferboys Bc29

Archived