SaltCritters.com

My first SW tank. a 120g project.

farewelltofriday_mailbox

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
farewelltofriday_mailbox

last night i hooked up my 250w MHs and i had to mod the reflector a little to make them fit but its all good now. well pretty soon i will probably be starting a new tank thread. i need to build a DIY canopy to put the lights in and i need to buy some tunze power heads. All i need to know now is how to do the computer fan mod. let me know please.

What you can do (what I am doing) is run out to radioshack and pick up like 2, 8" computer fans, and the adapter for it (about $40 each) and just make a hole in the hood wall, make a bracket for it, and you are good to go.

farewelltofriday_mailbox

ok well i got my MHs all hooked up and everything and so now i am going to look into buying some fans and then all i have left is all of the pumps im going to need and plumbing

farewelltofriday_mailbox

at around ten maybe later tonight i will have some pictures up of the stand that isnt completed and the lights that i bought. so check back then and let me know what you think!

farewelltofriday_mailbox

ok well no luck on the pictures tonight. maybe tomm? well i wanted to know everyone's opinion on getting two 48" actinic bulbs for my tank. i was curious if those could be VHO bulbs like if those bulbs came in actinics idk. if i find out myself then ill let everyone know that i did my homework haha

farewelltofriday_mailbox

ok everyone and anyone looking at this thread. here are some pictures of what i have so far now.

my 2-250W MHs with 2 14K Hamilton bulbs and two parallel reflectors (protective plastic has not been removed, hence the green color).

DSCN1206.jpg

DSCN1213.jpg

DSCN1209.jpg

the beginning of my stand (i am now applying skin but i dont have pictures).

DSCN1196.jpg

and my 55g sump that i got at my petco's gallon per dollar sale.

DSCN1198.jpg

DSCN1197.jpg

farewelltofriday_mailbox

ok here is my new eqiupment

my LifeReef 1400gph SlimLine overflow

DSCN1240.jpg

DSCN1239.jpg

my LifeReef skimmer

DSCN1231.jpg

Some free accessories from rottielover (he sold all of this stuff to me through RC

DSCN1237.jpg

The Mag 9

DSCN1235.jpg

The whole rottielover lot

DSCN1229.jpg

The Seio pumps 1x2600 and 1x1500 (the only new thing i have bought so far)

DSCN1219.jpg

Testing the new pumps (yes it is in the bath haha)

DSCN1225.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

yikes a mag 24 is SOOOOOOO big for that tank

im only using a 1700 GPH return pump on my 240 cube, i would try and see if you can use something like a mag 9.5 for return

yikes a mag 24 is SOOOOOOO big for that tank

im only using a 1700 GPH return pump on my 240 cube, i would try and see if you can use something like a mag 9.5 for return

thats what I was thinking,but then again perhaps a closed loop of some sort??

farewelltofriday_mailbox

what does everyone think of my set up so far. as soon as im done staining my stand and get starting on my canopy ill start a new tank thread since this one is jumbled. so LMK what you think!

just because your overflow is rated at a certain level doesn't mean you need a pump to match it because the overflow will overflow just as fast as your pump is. A powerful pump in a sump may cause you to have microbubble problems

farewelltofriday_mailbox

no one at the stores has mentioned anything... could you go into more detail or post a link for me. and its a HOB overflow box too just in case i didnt specify. ill also be having two bubble traps in my sump

the overflow only overflows what the tank does, once it starts an overflow it stays consistant, i only used 900 GPH through my sump on my 125 to give you an idea

farewelltofriday_mailbox

well ill have a ball valve? on it i think to control flow. the guy told e i needed one anyways plus this will give me the option to upgrade to a larger system without spending a fortune on a return pump. thank you for the info though.

Archived