SaltCritters.com

My first SW tank. a 120g project.

farewelltofriday_mailbox

farewelltofriday_mailbox

i looked at those on liveaquaria.com they look pretty cool. and they make grunting noises? thats weird. so do i have to buy them special food since they have teeth that dont stop growing?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

they are of a different genus then most triggers, they are completely reef safe and all they require is meatier food then what you would feed the rest of your tank, i recommend krill and silversides soaked in a vitamin, that will be enough to keep their teeth down and them healthy, here is a picture of the pair i had

IMG_1373.jpg

and here is a good picture of the male

IMG_1358.jpg

farewelltofriday_mailbox

wow i wouldnt even think of something that pricey. at least not until my tank is completely established and running for a year or more.

you can find rare fish that diver's den wont even have

yes i have heard them make that sound but it was only when they were feeding (i hand fed mine) that they made that sound

most people will be amazed that you have triggers in your reef but mine didnt touch a thing and were completely safe for my tank (i did feed them small live damsels sometimes on purpose)

farewelltofriday_mailbox

yea. i have read a lot of things on them that are against corals. but how many large fish could i have in this tank? the guy at my LFS told me a Blue Tang and an Imperator Angel was all i could have as far as big fish. if that right or could i have anymore? like triggers or something

If you're already planning on having one large angel I definitely wouldn't recommend adding a dwarf angel too. Chances are they'll fight.

farewelltofriday_mailbox

yea i know that i shouldnt really have multiples of the larger breed fish. like angels, tangs, and triggers. but some more interesting suggestions would be nice. i plan on starting the tank soon.

for that tank i would stick to only 1 large fish, there isnt enough room for two large fish, anything that is territorial (tangs, angels, triggers) will not allow another large fish in a tank that small, i would say if you want a reef a Large imperator or any large angel for that matter will be a challenge to keep from eating corals

i would say 1 tang at most in that tank, they are just too territorial to be more then 1 in a tank like that, same thing goes for angels and triggers unless you go with a pair

farewelltofriday_mailbox

alright ill keep that in mind when the time comes but for now. are there any interesting invertabrates that could go in here that are pretty cool?

hmm as far as inverts i really like cleaner shrimp, they also help make your fish feel more at home im sure and clean them if ich starts to breakout or any parasites in your tank, besides that im not really a fan of any of the other shrimp because well...i buy camel, peppermint, and coral banded shrimp for mantis shrimp food lol

as for snails i think 2 queen conchs would be cool in your tank and would help sift the sand around, besides that i would wait for the tank to stabilize before you start adding stuff you really like

farewelltofriday_mailbox

of course haha i dont want to add some expensive amazing animal that is just going to die because i dont have the experience level or the water quality just yet.

haha i lost my most prized fish...the rarest trigger in the world...my golden back, it cost me 1,000 and thats the reason i tore down my tank...

it wasnt my fault though, he jumped the tank even with it covered and weighted down

farewelltofriday_mailbox

that is ridiculous. when did you decide to start up your tank again? how long have you been doing this stuff?

i did it with my dad while i was a kid for like 5-6 years before i decided to get in it on my own, which is coming up on about 2 years now so i decided to start from scratch to give my remaining fish and coral a new tank and to get started the right way this time

farewelltofriday_mailbox

sounds good. im getting a lot of money from my mom since i took her to the LFS and she decided that if i put it in her house (instead of my dads) then she would help take care of it and help pay for it. so yea. thats what made me make my mind up about it.

i think of it as an investment for a house, if it stays with the house it could raise the value and make it more appealing, it also makes a great centerpiece in a house that everyone loves

farewelltofriday_mailbox

definitely. i just dont wanna get bit by the fish bug. i do but i dont. i dont want to end up putting all of money down for this like a lot of the people into this. but im thinking once i get started its not up to me anymore. i think it just becomes an addiction.

lol just wait after this you will start up more and more tanks lol, i was the same way and at 1 point i have a 10G spotted hawkfish tank, a 5.5G baby dwarf lion tank, a 40G breeder for my mantis shirmp, a 20L for a pair of mantis shrimp, and a 90G bowfront lol

no just anything i wanted lol i have alot more control now lol and i do look for deals now but i do have a thing for rare fish (my uncle and dad always try/tried to out do me) but knowing dan at salty critter i usually get good notification about rare fish he gets in and what not

the best thing to do in the hobby is to NEVER cut corners, it might be expensive, but do it the way you wanted...one of the reasons why my 125 didnt become what i wanted it to

farewelltofriday_mailbox

yea i can definitely see that sucking. would you say that you had a mistake from the very beginning?

To anyone else. or to matty. any other sort rare fun fish to put in here? (for not a TON of money..like $1000 lol)

Archived