Cultivated Reef

Octopus.

fiddledeedum

RayWhisperer
He's in a 29g aga, no need for a skimmer it has a Mag 350 & Fluval 204,

25% w/c every 30 days. Tank is sealed with standard flo. lighting 1- twin tube aga fixture with actinics, 1- single tube 10,000k, 2 - diy 8 light led bars ( 1 red bar + 1 mixed white & blue bar). I feed him frozen & live

they eat krill, shrimp, scallops I get 50 hermits a month which is $12.50

I actually don't have to get them every month. krill is $3.69 4oz scallops are $2.49 2oz flash frozen and they are on sale now at the acme 10 for $10 so I stocked up. I have a couple mantis which eat the same things

-_- You DO need a skimmer. Water quality is only part of the issue. Octopus need near saturation levels of dissolved oxygen as well. And water changes every 30 days is another bad idea.

althefishguy

Yes a sealed tank is the most important thing also I use sponge on all intakes they will try to get out that way also and end up in the filter !

I have 3 right now a Red, blue ring, & pacific mud the Red is the largest

at about 6", blue ring is about 4" and the pacific is about silver dollar size. I've never had a problem with them just don't tease them and if You want to aquascape put in rocks that are too large for them to move.

They actually aquascape pretty good themselves if You give them rubble to move around. They will try to eat just about anything alive at least once so You are better off not trying tank mates they will eat corals also. Remember A healthy tank, don't tease them they will put on a show by themselves and You should be fine, Scucci is right if You can get it with out the shipping hassle You are better off that goes for any critters. Good Luck !!!

Fishfreak218
-_- You DO need a skimmer. Water quality is only part of the issue. Octopus need near saturation levels of dissolved oxygen as well. And water changes every 30 days is another bad idea.

many people have had succssess without skimmers so to say you need one isnt correct. You can strongly advise it but to say you need it =wrong

althefishguy

I've been keeping them for years I don't consider a skimmer manditory on any fish only system. With corals thats one thing I don't keep alot of coral so I'm not sure where everybody stands on skimmers, but with fish only systems its a waste of time and money IMO. As far as water changes I used to do it more often, but found that they do just fine with the 30 day interval. The tanks are sealed so they have much less evap.

and You want to open the sys. least amount possible. The key to keeping a healthy fish only tank is not over feeding and good LR and filters IMO. You have to be able to leave an octopus tank alone and not be constantly sticking Your hands in it and playing with it if You can't do that You don't need an octopus !! I'm not talking about what I've heard or read I actually keep them. I keep mostly inverts, macros, and predatory & venomus fish. So I understand the needs of the critters I keep

I have 3 right now a Red, blue ring, & pacific mud the Red is the largest

at about 6", blue ring is about 4" and the pacific is about silver dollar sizeI have 3 right now a Red, blue ring, & pacific mud the Red is the largest

at about 6", blue ring is about 4" and the pacific is about silver dollar size

Wow, bluering? Arent those extremely poisonous, even fatal if bitten?

althefishguy

Yes bad news if bitten !! can order from petswarehouse.com for about $30.00

also topicaloceanreef.com has them sometimes about $45.00. Have never had a problem with shipping them. Also thatpetplace but I can drive there so I don't know about thier shipping !

Tricksee theyz izzz, I sayz, Tricksee...

Nasty Little Octees...

I have never heard of one being kept succesflluy in a tank smaller than 55g, with MAss filterization.

They are fun from a friend with a 200g, but don't plan on having anything normal about your tank, they are dirty, and eat everything that isn't rock, mineral, or Wood.. LOL

GL!

I kept 5 octi in my 20h..longest one was around 10months.

Dont know where all that came from you need some HUGE tank for a something that lives mainly in a cave.

RayWhisperer
many people have had succssess without skimmers so to say you need one isnt correct. You can strongly advise it but to say you need it =wrong

I'll have to disagree. Can you keep an octopus without a skimmer? Sure. Have people done it without skimmers? Again, sure. As I said before, octopus need near saturation levels of D.O., I rather doubt a skimmer even brings it up to the the level needed though. However, an environment as closely mimicking nature as we can provide should be the goal. How much are we shortening their already short lifespans, by depriving their bodies of the necessary oxygen needed to function properly? Do we know? Or, could it be, we end up stunting growth, maybe even limiting development, activity, or brain function? The fact is, you and I don't know. Until we know just how little D.O. an octopus can live normally with, I'll still say you NEED a skimmer. Disagree if you like, I still think your doing your animals a huge disservice.

On the same token of D.O., imagine how low it actually is in your respective systems. Being you keep them sealed, no new oxygen even gets in. At the very most, only limited oxygen is able to enter. Now can you see why I say you need a skimmer?

Archived