Pod Your Reef

Octopus.

fiddledeedum

fiddledeedum

Hey y'all.

Before you tell me everything I need to know about keeping an octopus, I know. I was just wondering where I could get one. I'm in Canada, and if ordering one online is my last option I'll go with it.

Thanks.

fiddledeedum

Unfortunately, I know. But I'd still like to have one. A couple of my emerald's and other inverts have just died, and the oppurtunity to get an octopus has just sprung up, and I thought I'd enjoy it. It living half a year would be a great experience.

FLcracker94

lol, you don't know. Go to either Marinedepotlive.com, or Liveaquaria.com

Good luck. What kinda octopus you thinking of?

PS, don't know for sure if these sites have octopi.

what size tank is it? waht ur filtration? they WILL redecorate ur tank, and can get out easily unless the lid doesnt have any gaps and is secured down

My LFS store always has one or two (Pacif Reef in Huntington Beach) he keeps it in a gerbal ball in his frag tank. I always feel bad for it - but not bad enough to want to get one.

Tricksee theyz izzz, I sayz, Tricksee...

Nasty Little Octees...

I have never heard of one being kept succesflluy in a tank smaller than 55g, with MAss filterization.

They are fun from a friend with a 200g, but don't plan on having anything normal about your tank, they are dirty, and eat everything that isn't rock, mineral, or Wood.. LOL

GL!

fiddledeedum

I guess I'm orderin one online. I'm not picky about the species. I'll let ya know how this goes if I ever get around to getting one.

Fishfreak218
Tricksee theyz izzz, I sayz, Tricksee...

Nasty Little Octees...

I have never heard of one being kept succesflluy in a tank smaller than 55g, with MAss filterization.

happens all the time! in 30g. tanks especially

happens all the time! in 30g. tanks especially

Ok, your the first I have heard from ......

I still have to think how devilish they are. IN larger tanks, they play hell on the LS. My friend has a fish dissappear once a month. so he buys cheap fish, and lots of crabs. :mellow: lots of crabs.....

lil'wrasse cool

Well in WPG I see about 4 or 5 a year for sale at the lfs's. So they do make it to canada. You can look up fishgallery.ca I think....He might ship. not sure if he still has one though.

"all creatures great and small" in Victoria sometimes gets them

"hillside aquatics" lost theres in there softie tank but I am pritty sure they would order one in for you.Very nice people.

RayWhisperer

I still have to think how devilish they are. IN larger tanks, they play hell on the LS. My friend has a fish dissappear once a month. so he buys cheap fish, and lots of crabs. :mellow: lots of crabs.....

See my av? I kept one... In a NC 24. It was fine, never took a fish. Crabs, on the other hand, well, they were never around long. :lol:

Fishfreak218

your not supposed to keep them with fish or crabs or shrimp unless you intentionally put them there as food

and in that case... ME TWO!!! I just got a baby O. Bimac the other day his mantle is about the size of a grape. He is eating hermits and snails. I gave him some frozen today but once he saw the snail he dropped it and went for the live food ;)

Fishfreak218

I have a few really crappy ones that I shot while he was acclimating in the bag.... otherwise I need to get some more. I'll take some tomorrow for ya and post them here.

HeyLookItsCaps
My LFS store always has one or two (Pacif Reef in Huntington Beach) he keeps it in a gerbal ball in his frag tank. I always feel bad for it - but not bad enough to want to get one.

where in HB is Pac Reef?

your not supposed to keep them with fish or crabs or shrimp unless you intentionally put them there as food

and in that case... ME TWO!!! I just got a baby O. Bimac the other day his mantle is about the size of a grape. He is eating hermits and snails. I gave him some frozen today but once he saw the snail he dropped it and went for the live food ;)

Cool, I just started a new NC-24 ( i found a new one on Criagslist for 80 bucks )

I'ld love to try one, in a few months, but I do rather like my Anenome crabs and such...

althefishguy

You don't need a large tank, anything You get on line is going to be small.

You need a sealed tank they will get out !! If You get a Blue ring don't get bit !! Liveaquaria

mostly sells caribbean, or pacific muds. Give lots of rock and crabs. They are fun B)

This is OthelloII he's a pacific mud if You have trouble getting one pm me !!

post-13936-1186776463_thumb.jpgpost-13936-1186776578_thumb.jpgpost-13936-1186776614_thumb.jpgpost-13936-1186776647_thumb.jpgpost-13936-1186776751_thumb.jpgpost-7237-1132348659_thumb.jpg

post-13936-1186776728_thumb.jpg

How big is OthelloII's tank? What do you do about skimmer/water changes and all that? Also, how much $$ does food cost? If you don't mind.

althefishguy

He's in a 29g aga, no need for a skimmer it has a Mag 350 & Fluval 204,

25% w/c every 30 days. Tank is sealed with standard flo. lighting 1- twin tube aga fixture with actinics, 1- single tube 10,000k, 2 - diy 8 light led bars ( 1 red bar + 1 mixed white & blue bar). I feed him frozen & live

they eat krill, shrimp, scallops I get 50 hermits a month which is $12.50

I actually don't have to get them every month. krill is $3.69 4oz scallops are $2.49 2oz flash frozen and they are on sale now at the acme 10 for $10 so I stocked up. I have a couple mantis which eat the same things

If you really plan on getting one, you're (IMO) best bet would be to get a LFS to order one in off of their avail list when the octs are on there. They're REALLY hit or miss with shipping... For your average Joe to order one is really risky since they don't ship very well... if an LFS orders you one from the availability lists, then if it arrives DOA then you haven't lost anything but time, and they can just order you another one next time. Let the LFS "absorb" the shipping costs and when they get one that doesn't freak out and ink in the bag... then you've got a good one and should be good to go.

Make sure you do your reading and make REALLY sure you have your tank setup correctly... any gap, crack, or hole = a shot a freedom and carpet death for these guys. You'll be amazed at what they can slip through. At the store we had a VERY secure lid and even then still put the coarse side of Velcro all around the inner lip of the tank. The idea was that they didn't like the feel of it and couldn't pull suction. For some it worked, for others we'd just hear a customer scream from that corner of the store and know immediately what's happening.

Anywho... larger, stable tank... good filtration... and the acceptance that you will not be able to aquascape the tank because ultimately, the oct will put everything he can where he wants it.

Good luck to you, though. When people keep them successfully, it's an amazing thing and I like seeing it happen.

Which sites are dependable?

Liveaquaria and marinedepotlive.

I did a little searching, liveaquaria doesn't have them, but marinedepotlive does.

Heres the link.

Archived