Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My humble 5.5g

c est ma

lilredneckman

We need you. Your tank inspired me to set up one of my own. I just went bigger.

Please come back!!!!!

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I totally agree. I really do miss you following along with my thread and others. You always provided such great insight, knowledge, and clarity to things. You are an incredible asset to this community. Hope that you haven't been lost amongst some garbage that happened somewhere else on here. I don't even know what happened but you are too much to lose because of that.

Either way, hope to hear from you in a PM or something else. Hope all is well.

Adam

x 5 bajillion.

el fabuloso

Diane, you've been a big help and an inspiration. Had it not been for you, I certainly wouldn't be this far along in the hobby. Please come back! Nano-Reef isn't the same without you. :flower:

:blush::blush::blush: OH, MY!!! Where's the icon for "almost in tears?"

Seriously, everyone--I can't think of the right words to tell you how wonderful your comments make me feel. I never intended to take such a long hiatus...it was just one thing leading to another...Out of guilt, mostly, I created a separate file for N-R email notifications, so they wouldn't be staring me in the face in the Inbox...and now that file reads "738 unread messages." :blush::blush::blush:

Well, despite all your kind words, I'm quite sure I've missed you more than you've missed me. :) And it was really nothing about N-R--many of you shared my discouragement with some of the trends on here, but, Jeez, it's such a huge place we can avoid the BS we don't like fairly easily...I just had some things going on that cumulatively sort of sent me into a tailspin. But all's well now--and it's only been my guilt for not keeping up that's kept me away of late! Because my policy is usually to catch up on everyone else's threads before I post in my own, and knowing how far behind I've gotten is very scary!! So I'm jumping in on my thread first--forgive me. I'll be working on catching up, but it will take me some time--and I'll probably try to start with PMs...

I haven't looked at this thread since June...it was certainly heartwarming to read all the kind comments of late! :happy:

Now, to get on topic...Well, this is kind of embarrassing, too. :blush: Would you believe I've yet to switch out tanks on the 5.5? I've been just living with it ~ 4/5ths full. BUT--I have moved everything that was worrisome (because of ric crowding) into the 15g: the blasto, the baby plate, the Porites/plate-site frag, and the little clump of green zoas...

Which means that everything is much more bullet-proof and I can leave if I have to without worrying about a tank-sitter being able to remember what needs to be kept away from what...You see, my folks are 88 and 90, and have the occasional health crisis, and they're in OR and I'm in MI! So I'm trying to arrange my life so that I can leave on a moment's notice, if necessary...

Of course, while I've been gone, I've kept taking pics, and it's been killing me not to post them! I've got some that are pretty interesting (to me, anyway..:D), but the following just show the status quo as of 2 or 3 weeks ago...Note how the Xenia has migrated down to the new water level, lol.

dscn3581irf680gam77db6.jpg

dscn3707irf680gam77sz9.jpg

dscn3708irf680cd7.jpg

dscn4119irf680gam77hu2.jpg

dscn2972irf680hk9.jpg

The green ric morph on the left side is funny--Altho it it has eventually split into 3 or 4 separate polyps, the original, biggest polyp tends to develop new mouths and then reabsorb them, and opt instead to just get bigger--it's probably tea-cup sized, now...But here are some pics when it was threatening to split which show some interesting tissue stretching (it's since lost the little mouth and settled into being one polyp again):

dscn3196irf680rq1.jpg

dscn3198irf680lf9.jpg

dscn3199irf680pj8.jpg

Lol--funny how those all looked significantly different to me when I was resizing them, but they all look identical now...

Well, more interesting pics to follow--when I catch up! Thanks again, everyone.

--Diane

PS: Just noticed there's a goby in the first pic...

PPS: Aaack! And scarily, there's a weird happy face pattern in the rock just to the above-right of the center green rics...

Hey Diane! Welcome back!

I think I can relate to your emotions, or maybe I'm just having jet lag dreams! Sometimes these forums appear to become a bit more of our lives than they actually are. Real life impinge's on us and priorities shift for awhile, but the important part are our tanks anyway, and as long as they keep going and giving us joy then we are here in the proper spirit.

I've certainly missed you and hope you have time to share experiences. Now, get to those unread messages! I can also relate to the guilt agony of uncompleted work. I keep trying to see the evolutionary advantage to those kinds of feelings.

Pics are great as always. I so totally admire your observations of behavior. Beware of diving. The sensory overload after being tuned into a small tank can be very disorienting!

:happydance: :happydance: Hey Diane. I got the e-mail notification this morning that someone had posted on this thread and I was just hoping that it was going to be you coming back....and it was!!!! Welcome back and I'm so happy to hear that everything has been going great not only for your tanks but also for you. Sometimes a little break in the action is the best medicine.....like Pickle said....just don't let it happen again :)

Life's been crazy for me as well over the last couple of days so coming here, catching up on friends' threads, and taking care of our tanks help to break the daily monotony as well as serves as a nice escape.

Glad to have you back.

Glad to see you back :) and I'm sorry that things in real life spun you out. :(

My dad is in his 70's and he just came down with a bad case of Salmonella poisoning so I can relate at least a little to your parent's health crises.

I can also relate to the guilt agony of uncompleted work. I keep trying to see the evolutionary advantage to those kinds of feelings.

Perhaps there are none. Perhaps these feelings (that I can relate to as well) are an emergent property of our fiendishly complex emotional gamut. Or perhaps they are just an offshoot of our desire to progress, to keep moving forward. Maybe they are an adaptation to our societal structure... one that urges us to be (or at least appear) to be more successful; more fit.

Difficult hypotheses to test, but fun to think about. B)

lilredneckman

Wow Diane i am soo glad you are back!

I dont know what i would do without your help. You have got me through so many problems. I am just so glad to see that you are back!

JourneyReef

Hooray! It is awesome you are back. I read two forums pretty obsessively and yours is my favorite tank on the whole of either site!! What an inspiration. Whenever I get frustrated with not being able to arrange mine the way I want, I look back at yours for ideas!

squirrelieygrrrl

c est ma,

i realize that we have never met, but when i was first thinking about setting up a nr i stumbled across your tank thread. i was awe struck to say the least. it is what has inspired me to take the plunge. i love your simplistic approach. so glad to see your back, and i will be following your thread. so thanks for the inspiration!

~squirrel

• 3 weeks later...

You have the greatest yellow and green rics. I wish I could get my hands on some like that. None of my LFSs ever carry anything like that.

Welocome back BTW!!!

• 2 weeks later...

We definitely miss you, Diane. But, I understand your need to be prepared to leave quickly. My grandparents all lived in India, and that definitely worried my parents living so far away.

Tank is looking outstanding as usual I havnt been around much the past couple months so just trying to catch up with my favorite posts:)

• 1 month later...

Haha, just trying to revive c est ma since so many of us misses. :happy:

Me too love the 5.5 too. :) So I think it shouldn't be left out too far behind the page :P

And I always feels that nice tank are meant for us to be admire, learn, share and even copy :D

HeyLookItsCaps

ive never seen another person in any tank thread who takes better or more clear pics than yourself. im am absolutely in awe of your natural photographics skills. considering i use a 1500 dollar canon DSLR and cant even come CLOSE to these is a testiment to you. i have yet to use your "tricks" with the new cam, but ill try it......and i highly doubt that it will graze the surface of your clarity/timing/focus

Yup, I nearly forget that me too learn the trick of using a magnifying glass from c est ma too :happy:

Thanks c est ma and thanks HeyLookItsCaps for reminding me :happy:

Archived