SaltCritters.com

My humble 5.5g

c est ma

Diane,

First off I love the new pictures. :) They are so detailed, you can even see the segmentation in the cheato (yes I was looking at it too) :). Secondly, I'm glad your ok. You should ask Daniel sometime about his run in with a deer. :o Lastly, I thought I would share my plates recoloring story. The first baby plate I bought looks exactly like the one you have (when its colored up). Well when I first got it I guess it didn't like the lights I had it under so it lost its color. :( It has slowly colored back up to where it is now pink again with the green stripes (although they still aren't as noticable as they used to be) and the incredibly green mouth. :D It takes awhile but it should regain its full glory in no time. :)

PS My newest baby plate sprout looks to be about a quarter inch across. :D I hope to get some pics quickly between the time I pick Daniel up from the airport and the time we say I do. :D That is if I don't borrow his sisters camera first.

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh my goodness Diane. At least it was Monday! Imagine how it could have affected your weekend. (really trying to look on the bright side :P )

There's one part I don't understand though: "He apologizes profusely, assures me the lab still has the casts, etc." I thought normal procedure for those cases was to hand you a few pairs of gloves and say "Come back when you find it!" Believe it or not Genie had that happen just last week with a patient (a young boy) and they did that, but when he came back in his gizzard or something had deformed it so it wouldn't fit, so had to go back to the lab anyway. All that "digging" for nothing! (really, really trying to look on the bright side :D )

The shots of those little anemones is fantastic, and yes, the closeup of the chaeto is as fascinating as the anemones! I keep seeing different things in it. Funny how the shape of the end cell walls seems to be what causes the stuff to curl up like that. I agree about making a portfolio and selling it. Check here and see what others have done, and your stuff is just as good.

bubbles3660

> I know they're just little blurs in the distance, but take my word for it, they're sandhills

My sister-in-law spotted a whooping crane slumming it with some sandhills a few years ago. She notified a local birder and within a day there were hundreds of people crawling all over her property. They trampled an entire corn field trying to get a shot of that thing. Imagine, a hobby that creates more obsession than reefing does. Makes me almost feel normal. Almost. :)

--bubbles

Needreefunds

Monday, Monday, can't trust that day ........

Thankfully you are well enough to share that story with us Diane. If (auto) body work is all that is required, then all is well.

I also must say the 'nem shots are amazing! Actually, ALL your shots are. :P

As per your request, I shall keep quiet. ( BUT only because you had a rough day! :lol: )

Seriously Diane, it's good to hear you came through all that in good health. We need our mother duck at full speed!

:flower:

Take Care You!

--Richie

Amazing tank Diane ... its time for a BIG one ... so that we can see a humble 55g which everyone will try to model after :D ... very nice pics and tank ...

Wow Diane it sure sounds like you had a horrible day! Well i am glad that you are OK. I was in illinois over the summer and we saw a 8 point buck right near the side of the road but luckly we were able to get out of the way and did not get him.

The tank is looking great! those mini carpets are fantastic! You should evter onw of your pics in the Macro Algae photo of the month.

Gee, thanks!

We are up to our necks in deer around here--I believe MI leads the nation in car-deer accidents. Even tho they can be pests and dangerous, I still love to have them around...

Wow Diane....sorry to hear about all of the funk you had to experience on Monday. I was just telling someone the other day that it always seems like one one things goes wrong with a day, it just keeps on rolling that way. You know what they say about cr*p....starts at the top and just rolls downhill. I often feel like I am at the bottom of the hill with my arms open

:lol::lol: I gotta remember that!

As others have mentioned, just glad that you are ok after both the dentist and collision with the deer. The accident could have been worse and glad that the only damage was to your car and not you. Unfortunately the backroads around here, where all the deer usually decide to scoot across, are lined with about 200 year old oak trees that don't budge when it comes to cars. People unfortunately try to avoid the deer, squirrel or bird and you know the end. Just glad you are alright.

On a lighter note, those mini nems are fantastic and your photography always amazes me.

Thanks, Adam. :) And I agree that not getting hurt is the important thing...(Thank goodness for insurance! We have no-fault, here, which is good, because the deer never have insurance...)

You are truly gifted with that camera of yours you should really email some aquarists magizines your shots. They are better than most the published ones Ive seen.

:blush: Thank you!

Geez, Diane, that was a rotten day all the way around.

At least you weren't hurt during the accident. I've seen several vehicles totaled from hitting a dear!

There seems to be some nice wildlife activity happening on that hill. At least you can look out there and unwind.

Oh, you bet! Actually, between us and that rise there's a very large wetland area that just teems with life...

Diane,

First off I love the new pictures. They are so detailed, you can even see the segmentation in the cheato (yes I was looking at it too) .

You're just like me! I look at everything in a photo, too--esp. in a reef or reef tank photo! And thanks, btw.

Secondly, I'm glad your ok. You should ask Daniel sometime about his run in with a deer. Lastly, I thought I would share my plates recoloring story. The first baby plate I bought looks exactly like the one you have (when its colored up). Well when I first got it I guess it didn't like the lights I had it under so it lost its color. It has slowly colored back up to where it is now pink again with the green stripes (although they still aren't as noticable as they used to be) and the incredibly green mouth. It takes awhile but it should regain its full glory in no time. :)

PS My newest baby plate sprout looks to be about a quarter inch across. I hope to get some pics quickly between the time I pick Daniel up from the airport and the time we say I do. That is if I don't borrow his sisters camera first.

That description sounds exactly like mine! We must have the same species. With any luck we'll learn what it is some day. :D Do you have a feel for what kind of light it likes best? Looking forward to your pics!

Cussword!! After getting the "too many emoticons" scolding and eliminating all of yours (sorry! {sheepish emoticon} ), I now get "too many quoted blocks." &*%$#(!&^!!

Okay, second post to follow...(darn, needn't have wasted time taking out the emoticons. <_< grumble, grumble...)

--Diane

Oh my goodness Diane. At least it was Monday! Imagine how it could have affected your weekend. (really trying to look on the bright side )

There's one part I don't understand though: "He apologizes profusely, assures me the lab still has the casts, etc." I thought normal procedure for those cases was to hand you a few pairs of gloves and say "Come back when you find it!" Believe it or not Genie had that happen just last week with a patient (a young boy) and they did that, but when he came back in his gizzard or something had deformed it so it wouldn't fit, so had to go back to the lab anyway. All that "digging" for nothing! (really, really trying to look on the bright side )

"Gizzard"--LOL!!!-literally.

Well, I didn't want to be too indelicate here...but, yes that idea was run up the flagpole. As I remember, I wasn't saluting...

Actually, the dentist said something about how recovering the cap would "save the lab some time." I believe that's dentese for "save the dentist some money." Which, judging by his car and his vacations, is not strictly necessary, IMO. So I've been ignoring the "suggestion." ;)

The shots of those little anemones is fantastic, and yes, the closeup of the chaeto is as fascinating as the anemones! I keep seeing different things in it. Funny how the shape of the end cell walls seems to be what causes the stuff to curl up like that. I agree about making a portfolio and selling it. Check here and see what others have done, and your stuff is just as good.

I love the way you observe things! That makes very good sense. Chaeto--so common and still so interesting!

As to the latter--you're too kind! (But thank you very much!) That's some site, and I think I'm very far from that level. :D

> I know they're just little blurs in the distance, but take my word for it, they're sandhills

My sister-in-law spotted a whooping crane slumming it with some sandhills a few years ago. She notified a local birder and within a day there were hundreds of people crawling all over her property. They trampled an entire corn field trying to get a shot of that thing. Imagine, a hobby that creates more obsession than reefing does. Makes me almost feel normal. Almost.

--bubbles

LOL!! Oh, I know, birders are cut-throat!

Oooh, I'll have to start watching the sandhills for an odd looking one...!

Monday, Monday, can't trust that day ........

Thankfully you are well enough to share that story with us Diane. If (auto) body work is all that is required, then all is well.

I also must say the 'nem shots are amazing! Actually, ALL your shots are.

As per your request, I shall keep quiet. ( BUT only because you had a rough day! )

Seriously Diane, it's good to hear you came through all that in good health. We need our mother duck at full speed!

Take Care You!

--Richie

Quack, quack. :D Thanks, pal.

Amazing tank Diane ... its time for a BIG one ... so that we can see a humble 55g which everyone will try to model after ... very nice pics and tank ...

Thank you! Actually, it's gonna be a 15...hey, that's "big" to me! :D Cannot justify any more while there's still so much else to take care of here...sigh.

Rose-breasted grosbeak at the feeder:

dscn1181irf680shpqo1.jpg

Sorry for the quality...taken from the couch on the opposite side of the living room, with the room lights on, digi zoom, etc. But it's the first rbg of the year, and also you can see the blooming tree behind it! Spring!

(Now, whaddaya wanna bet N-R melds these two posts?)

--Diane

{increasingly p*ssed-off face} OK, now I got "the following errors were found"--with nothing "following." ?? I think the forum software just has it out for me...

Second try...

Edit--Voila! Finally...<_<

A Birder Too!

Don't worry os much about picture quality in that situation. In photojournalism they teach that the shot is more important than the quality. We only get rose-breasted's as migrants, coming and going. Our common one is the blue grosbeak. Genie and I have seen a male in the same spot for nearly a week now in St. Andrew's State Park. He must be looking for a girlfriend.

I had to use my first post on these forums to say how much I enjoy your thread!

Your tank is beautiful, and I've seen a LOT of tanks recently (just got into the hobby this week so I've been scouring the internet for reef sites non stop) so that says a lot! :D

I bookmarked the thread so I can check back for updates, thanks for sharing your awesome reef tank!

Wow Diane I just read about your day from hell. I hope you are recovering well!

I have a question: What kind of camera/lens do you use? Your pictures are always so amazingly crisp and sharp! I feel like you have the "right" camera for really good close-up shots of aquaria. My little point-and-shoot just isn't really capturing what I see the way it looks in person for me, so I have been thinking about getting a better camera.

The baby plate coral is neat! If I were wealthy, I would buy you a larger reef tank, you need room to expand! (The little one is absolutely stunning, but I know what it's like to be at the LFS looking at an amazing coral that I can't have because there is no way it would fit in my tank. It was so hard to give up my heliofungia, but I had to when I did, as it was outgrowing my tank)

A Birder Too!

Don't worry os much about picture quality in that situation. In photojournalism they teach that the shot is more important than the quality. We only get rose-breasted's as migrants, coming and going. Our common one is the blue grosbeak. Genie and I have seen a male in the same spot for nearly a week now in St. Andrew's State Park. He must be looking for a girlfriend.

Sigh...blue grosbeak isn't even on my life list. :blush: I see they're expanding their range northwards, however, so maybe soon...<_<

BTW, hope everybody saw Tasha's great pic of a rose-breasted in Daniel's "Springtime" thread in the photo forum...

Your tank is godly!

:blush: Thank you!

I had to use my first post on these forums to say how much I enjoy your thread!

Your tank is beautiful, and I've seen a LOT of tanks recently (just got into the hobby this week so I've been scouring the internet for reef sites non stop) so that says a lot! :D

I bookmarked the thread so I can check back for updates, thanks for sharing your awesome reef tank!

What an honor!! And :welcome: to Nano-Reef! Oooh, it's so exciting to be in the stage you're at--I just found your tank thread and you have some great pics! I look forward to following your progress. :)

Wow Diane I just read about your day from hell. I hope you are recovering well!

I have a question: What kind of camera/lens do you use? Your pictures are always so amazingly crisp and sharp! I feel like you have the "right" camera for really good close-up shots of aquaria. My little point-and-shoot just isn't really capturing what I see the way it looks in person for me, so I have been thinking about getting a better camera.

The baby plate coral is neat! If I were wealthy, I would buy you a larger reef tank, you need room to expand! (The little one is absolutely stunning, but I know what it's like to be at the LFS looking at an amazing coral that I can't have because there is no way it would fit in my tank. It was so hard to give up my heliofungia, but I had to when I did, as it was outgrowing my tank)

Josh--My cam is just a Nikon Coolpix 3100--ancient. I just stumbled on a trick to get the macros--I shoot through either a magnifying lens or a loupe. Nice thing about the little P-&-S -- its lens fits the loupe pretty well! :)

Agreed on the expansion, and I have a 15 long in the works...not gonna hold many fungiids, I know (:(), but it's all I can do ATM. At least it'll give my current baby some growing room.

Thanks for the kind remarks. :)

--Diane

Weetabix7

I was very sorry to hear about your "Day From Hell" as well, and am glad that you pulled through okay.

Teeth doing okay?

• 2 weeks later...
aanderson09

This is the first time I saw this thread (I'm relatively new to NR) and I have to say, your tank is amazing. The past hour or two I spent reading most of your thread. At first glance, I find it hard to believe that is a 5.5g, there is so much happening in it. Your pompoms have inspired me to get one for my 5.5 AIO when it is done cycling. Anyway, thanks again!

Andrew

Andrew, thank you so much! And :welcome: to Nano-Reef!

As you might imagine, I can't recommend pom poms highly enough!

Update--Minor Catastrophe...

So, last Saturday, I'm finally buckling down and doing some major tank cleaning...nothing too out of the ordinary, but getting around to scraping the back wall for the first time in a long time...generating so much floaty crap that I end up doing essentially 2 H2O changes to get most of it siphoned out...cleaning filters, PH & pump intakes, the whole 9 yards...can't wait to see what things look like in the morning...

And they look...drum roll...uh...damp?

WTH?

You may remember I tend to keep a few layers of black construction paper next to the tank--it makes a huge difference in photos, cutting down the reflection from the white Formica kitchen counter...Well, Sunday, I kept setting things near the tank, picking them up, and wondering why they'd gotten wet & sticky...Then I noticed the paper was soaking wet...Then I noticed the water level in the tank was unusually low...

Sure 'nuff, the dam thing's leaking!! The paper around the tank was soaked. (But it did absorb all the water--:).) Here's what it looked like when I threw away the paper--notice the nice stain left by the piece of construction paper on the right. (Interesting note--there was a piece of black poster board beneath the construction paper in front--apparently poster board dye doesn't run and stain the way construction paper dye does...):

dscn2313irf680gk7.jpg

dscn2314irf680kc0.jpg

dscn2315irf680ag3.jpg

Reaction the first--PANIC, PANIC, PANIC, OMG, OMG, OMG!!!

Reaction the second--hmmmm, doesn't look that bad....

Reaction the third--coincidence of all coincidences--this couldn't happen at a "better" time; if you can imagine that. Because, for the first time since I've been keeping a reef tank, I actually have, not one, but two running, cycled, empty, spare SW tanks available. WHAT ARE THE ODDS??!!

For 2 weeks I've had the new 15g I'm working on running with LR, "cycling" it barebottom, as Sprung & Delbeek suggest, tho the rock itself was already so cured that there's been no cycle and very little detritus...have measured 0 mg/l NH3/NH4+ everyday, and it has had a Trochus and some "Mexican red-legged" HC's in it since day one.

(The LR are not exactly in their ultimate places...there's a plastic soap dish in there to make sure the upright rock can't topple into the glass...it will be removed, of course, and the rock shifted closer to the painted left side wall of the tank when I get the substrate in...)

dscn2206irf680qd6.jpg

(This tank is on the part of the kitchen counter that divides the kitchen from the family room, and is being designed to be viewable from 3 sides. This is a view of it from the open end:

dscn2208irf680bw6.jpg

Now, I had an idea of what I wanted to do with this tank from the start--I sort of envisioned a series of 2 or 3 pieces of LR "stepping down" from the left (painted) side of the tank, leaving room on the right end for an apron of substrate all around to harbor some solitary lps...But I let the lfs guy talk me into some pieces of LR that didn't fit this image when I got them home. So I returned in a few days to get some new pieces...and hung onto the old, which, for lack of a better idea, I transferred to a 10g that I was able to squeeze into the platform below my dart frog viv:

dscn2318irf680nw3.jpg

Again I ask--what are the odds?? So I realize that I am so set for being able to move the contents of my 5.5g into either or both of these 2 new tanks.

BUT--I also notice that the leak appears to have stopped. Obviously, it must be a leak in one of the tank's side seams, about 1.75" from the top. SO...what with my general sluggishness, plus a huge side distraction this week, I've so far done nothing to the tank...I feed it as usual, top it off (thought this might be a problem, but then I realized all I have to do is add water till it starts to leak...<_<...:D), etc.

This is what it looked like a few days later--I've since folded the towels neatly, and they're not working too hard:

dscn2321irf680cz9.jpg

Meantime, I've decided this might just be a real blessing in disguise. I haven't really wanted to go into all the ins and outs I've been going through with my diatom battle of late--suffice it to say I've come to the conclusion that it's my own unique version of "old tank syndrome," exacerbated by the crushed coral, and that I've needed a major overhaul for quite some time to save myself the increased maintenance I've been putting up with...

So, with the advent of the leak, it occurred to me that the simplest thing to do would be to just get a new 5.5 tank, transfer everything, and change out the cc for sand in the process. I'm even, almost, looking forward to it!

The only things I'm worried about transferring are the fish...I'm hoping that moving the LR will leave them in the open and "easily" nettable. And of course the Xenia on the right wall will be a problem...I'm tempted to just scrape it off and give it away...

Well--that's the news from my neck o' the woods! :)

Speaking of which, here's a late afternoon shot (thus the foreground shadows--you're looking east) of the back yard, to show that things have, in fact, greened up around here!

dscn2332irf680dn7.jpg

--Diane

Wow Diane...I was starting to wonder why you hadn't posted in your thread in a bit and for good reason. Sounds like you have had a little bit of action in your reef.

First off, really glad to hear that it wasn't a larger leak in the first place and that you have somewhat located where it is and stopped it for the time being. I know that I was really freaked out when I noticed that the backside of my 55 gallon was dripping. Of course I frantically ran around trying to find sealant only to realize that it was the skimmer leaking. I know how nerve racking it can be to find a leak.

Secondly, it sounds like you have a great plan of attack. Only thing I have a question about it that it sounds like you plan on getting another 5.5 gallon and not using one of those sweet 10 gallons that you showed. Any particular reason why or are you planning on something different for those tanks? The live rock in both looks stunning and would give you extra room to add more coral.

Either way, I know that your move will be successful and the following tank will be just as stunning as this one.

Beautiful picture of your backyard....what a beautiful home that you have. I could sit there for hours with a pair of binoculars just scoping the area for any and all wildlife.

Oh yeah, why is it whenever we all decide to do some serious tank maintenance that a problem always crops up? I feel like whenever I actually do some hardcore cleaning of the tank I find some issue that either frustrates me, stresses me out, or takes me an hour to fix :) Maybe the tanks are trying to tell us something :D

tarajean0627

Diane,

I would have soooo freaked out and probably jumped the gun and just tranferred everything to the new tank. It is a good thing you have patience. :) As usual your tank looks fanstastic and I am really loving the rock work you have going with the 15 gallon (the step down feature is really nice). I can't wait to see what you do with that one! But I am confused, why didn't you want to transfer everything to the 15 from your 5.5? I thought that is why you were setting it up anyway? Or are you starting fresh with the 15? Well I am glad things are working out to your advantage and it seems to be warming up there so more things to do outside and more wildlife to see. :) Keep up the great reef and keep us posted on those other 2 tanks!!

Sarah

Glad the leak isn't major, but I'm looking forward to what comes out of this. You didn't tell me you had TWO other tanks set up, I thought it was just one! :P

So can you see where it is leaking from and do you know how it started? Nicked it with a razor blade perhaps? ;)

debbeach13

Hi Diane

I guess I had not checked your thread for awhile. Sorry about your day from hell. Glad you were not hurt in the accident. Have you gone back to the dentist yet?

As always great photo's and updates. Are you moving only some of the 5.5 live stock to the 15 or 10 and getting a replacement 5.5? What ever I am sure it will look great. Good luck with your new tanks.

oh boy! i'm glad that the leaking stopped. i guess the construction paper created a path for the water to travel out of the seam.

And more tanks! hope to see new tank threads very soon! Those rocks are absolutely corallinlicious@ :lol:

Wow! You got really lucky. Like you said the timing couldnt be better. What kind of dart frogs do you have? I used to have a crew of Blue Azuras? I yhink thats what they were called. It has been years.

Needreefunds

So, What's up with you Diane?? Nothing much, huh? Same ol' same ol? :rolleyes:

Quite a bit on your plate there D. Nerve wracking for sure, yet exciting as well.

Oh, the possibilities with the new tanks.......

Looking forward to the new setups

fingerscrossed for a sweet, trouble free relocation of all those beauties you have there.

Best of luck Diane.

--Richie

Archived