Innovative Marine Aquariums

My humble 5.5g

c est ma

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats on earning the Tank Of The Month (TOTM)! I always liked your tank thread for many reasons. I like the simplicity, maturity, and layout of the system. To me the most compelling part of your tank is the story behind it! I like how you not only inherited the tank from your son, but researched and learned what it takes to not only keep it going but make it thrive!

My mom just started in the reef hobby too. She has two tanks cycling right now (one nano-reef, one sea horse only). So it's a fun hobby I look forward to sharing with my mom.

Is your son involved in the hobby at all any more?

Great job!

Weetie, thanks for the input. I have to say those ideas occurred to me as well--in fact I have put an airstone in the center portion of the fuge, though I think this is creating more show than flow. :) I think the idea of making the water spill over the top of the final baffle is one I should really consider, as it would not only change the flow pattern but also it would not result in yet another power plug! Though really, things are OK as they are...

Thanks again for the whole set-up though--I am having a lot of fun with it!!

Daniel & pfc.miller, thanks. dubsmcfly, how were you in on this? Picking up on the same clue Daniel & Amber did, I suppose! :D

j0hnny--uh-oh, now you have to decide whether you want your mom on this forum or not, eh? J/K! It's wonderful to hear about another set of intergenerational reefers. To answer your question, my son has not set up another tank yet, but I'm sure there will be one sometime in his future, probably when he thinks he's not going to be moving much for a while! Meanwhile we do share everything that goes on in "our" original reef, even if it's only over the 'net or during vacations...sigh.

Testing a new border feature I found in irfanview:

dscn7862irf9biw3.jpg

dscn7865irf9bir0.jpg

--Diane

I definitely love your Rics Diane. Hopefully I'll be able to compile a collection like yours. I love your progression/growth shots as well. I need to document my tank better.. lol

Speaking of Rics, have you checked out my tank thread lately and seen the new ones I received?

Jon!

That's exactly where I was going next! For some reason, today was the first time I've gotten an email update on your tank in a long time. When I checked it out, I noticed that I had missed several days of new posts. :angry: So sorry! I wish our thread 'subscriptions' were more reliable!

--Diane

lilredneckman

Wow Diane great shots as usual!

I hope that next weekend (my b-day) i go to a lfs up north of me, and get a ton of rics and hopefully they will look just as good as yours!

Hi Diane! I showed my mom your thread. She just started a 6g nano-cube reef, and was amazed to see how your tank started out as a few rocks and turned into the reef it is today. She really digs the Ric's and mushrooms.

Thanks for posting the historic changes. Great stuff!

Johnny

Thanks again, Johnny! Let me know if you and/or your mom start a thread for her tank, OK? Man, I'd sure love to be at her stage again...fighting urge for new tank...

--Diane

Wow Diane great shots as usual!

I hope that next weekend (my b-day) i go to a lfs up north of me, and get a ton of rics and hopefully they will look just as good as yours!

Thanks, lrm! OOh, I'll be watching your thread--sounds like a great BD to me!

And thanks pfc--and remember...anticipation's half the fun! :lol:

--Diane

Diane your never going to believe this but the site where I broke the plate off is already growing a new little baby. dance2.gif Its still really small but its definately a new baby plates looks exactly like your first pics of you new little one regrowing. I would try to take a picture but my cameras so old and crappy (doesn't even have a macro mode) that I can't even get a nice pic of anything in the tank, let alone something thats only a quarter of an inch big.

Amber! What a coincidence! My new plate just detached last night! See story here:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=1490923

Actually, WTH--I'm going to put some of those pics here, too:

In watchglass--about 1/4" diameter when closed up, just like your site:

dscn8313irf680su5.jpg

Opened up when replaced in tank:

dscn8319irf680qq0.jpg

What the detachment site looks like:

dscn8343croppedirf680vf2.jpg

Listen, you really need to have Daniel come visit with his camera! I really want to see pics of yours!!

Klarion--Thanks! :)

--Diane

Diane, that is so cool! Good luck with its survival. I've got a fungia skeleton with several regenerating sites on it that drop off babies, but the smaller ones have a lower survival rate than the larger ones (some get to be several inches in diameter before they detach).

Amber! What a coincidence! My new plate just detached last night! See story here:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=1490923

Actually, WTH--I'm going to put some of those pics here, too:

In watchglass--about 1/4" diameter when closed up, just like your site:

dscn8313irf680su5.jpg

Opened up when replaced in tank:

dscn8319irf680qq0.jpg

What the detachment site looks like:

dscn8343croppedirf680vf2.jpg

Listen, you really need to have Daniel come visit with his camera! I really want to see pics of yours!!

--Diane

The first baby plate I ever bought looks exactly like that. How cool is that? :) It was also around that size. You ought to try feeding it sinking pellets. Thats what I feed mine (all 5 of them now I just bought 2 more :) ) and as long as it is smal enough they can eat it just fine. If your site is anything like mine you should be able to see a new one growing in around 2 months. And as far as the camera goes my roommate keeps promising to bring her camera back from her fiances but she keeps forgetting. Hopefully she will remember soon. Cause Daniel won't be here for another few weeks :( . I'm hoping I can get a new camera soon, an easy point and shoot with a macro setting would be nice. I think that may be the first thing I buy when I get my first paycheck from the job I'm starting in the end of June at a CPA firm. Hopefully I will be able to take pictures as good as yours.

Wow, baby fungia!!! A beautiful specimen! Be sure not to break the ridges. I broken a couple off my baby fungia when moving it. They are so so fragile, but they are hardy once properly set. I feed mine cut up mini shrimp meat and it's forever feeding!

Diane, that is so cool! Good luck with its survival. I've got a fungia skeleton with several regenerating sites on it that drop off babies, but the smaller ones have a lower survival rate than the larger ones (some get to be several inches in diameter before they detach).

Yardboy, do you have pics up anywhere of these? ( :blush: If so, I probably should know!) Do you think the smaller ones just get buffeted/trampled/buried by virtue of their size? Have you ever tried to grow them in a somewhat protected fashion, as in a glass or something, till they're big enough to not get lost?

Sorry for all the questions! :D

I often hear of plate-generating sites that let the plate grow to larger sizes, but I don't see how mine ever will. It's just a sort of cannon-shaped protruberance on a piece of rock that's very small to begin with. Here are some pics of the first time I noticed it growing a plate--remember that the diameter of the "cannon bore" is only about 1/4" or less:

9/14/05

dscn1354mediumarrow7kz.jpg

9/22/05

dscn1571mediumarrow6gi.jpg

(Doncha like those bubble tracks? <_< )

That is so awesome Diane!

I really hope this one makes it, and under your care it's chances are much better.

Aw, thanks Weets! :)

The first baby plate I ever bought looks exactly like that. How cool is that? :) It was also around that size. You ought to try feeding it sinking pellets. Thats what I feed mine (all 5 of them now I just bought 2 more :) ) and as long as it is smal enough they can eat it just fine. If your site is anything like mine you should be able to see a new one growing in around 2 months. And as far as the camera goes my roommate keeps promising to bring her camera back from her fiances but she keeps forgetting. Hopefully she will remember soon. Cause Daniel won't be here for another few weeks :( . I'm hoping I can get a new camera soon, an easy point and shoot with a macro setting would be nice. I think that may be the first thing I buy when I get my first paycheck from the job I'm starting in the end of June at a CPA firm. Hopefully I will be able to take pictures as good as yours.

Amber, it has actually been feeding itself sinking pellets when one happens to drift by...here's a pic of it grabbing one:

dscn9021largejz1.jpg

It also likes Cyclopeeze, of course...I just have to be careful that the food doesn't attract the CUC too much...

2 months, huh? I'll let you know when I see any new growth at my plate site!

Hmmm. Guess a camera would be a pretty expensive thing to hint for for Valentine's Day, huh? Bummer. :D

Pretty sweet that you've got a job already lined up! Congrats!

Wow, baby fungia!!! A beautiful specimen! Be sure not to break the ridges. I broken a couple off my baby fungia when moving it. They are so so fragile, but they are hardy once properly set. I feed mine cut up mini shrimp meat and it's forever feeding!

Thank you, Duncan! I will be as careful as I can. It's just SO tiny! I appreciate the feeding advice as well!

That baby fungia is so cute :) BTW congrats on the TOTM

Many thanks, Maco. :)

--Diane

Hmmm. Guess a camera would be a pretty expensive thing to hint for for Valentine's Day, huh? Bummer. :D

yes, yes it is :) Especially when she's already *TOLD* me I was getting her a sapphire bracelet to match her engagement ring ;)

LOVE the baby plate! Very cool that it finally detached.

yes, yes it is :) Especially when she's already *TOLD* me I was getting her a sapphire bracelet to match her engagement ring ;)

LOVE the baby plate! Very cool that it finally detached.

Earings not a bracelet. And not just to match my ring but also to wear with my wedding dress. You need to pay attention when I talk to you. And its not just a Valentine's present its also my birthday and Christmas present. So see its not all that bad. :P

Diane,

My plate generating sites are the same size but the one plate that detached was about 3/4 inch wide. Hopefully it will live and grow quickly seeing as how it is already eating the pellets. I don't have to worry about the cuc because all I have are a few snails and two sexy shrimps (they like to scavange so I count them as part of the cuc).

Earings not a bracelet. And not just to match my ring but also to wear with my wedding dress. You need to pay attention when I talk to you. And its not just a Valentine's present its also my birthday and Christmas present. So see its not all that bad. :P

I meant that...I was holding my bracelet while trying to type earrings.

OK, maybe now I can catch up on other responses that I've owed for a long time--I kind of got side-tracked putting together the TOTM write-up (such stress! :) ).

Thanks to everyone for the positive comments on the new fuge set-up. N-R wouldn't let me quote you all in this one post, so I've had to remove most of your remarks...sorry!

Great Diane! Keep an eye on that U-tube. As the flow may be slow, bubbles can accumulate which will eventually stop it. No biggy, just siphon them out! Now you have something else to watch fluorish!

Not sure what bulb you are using, may want to consider this one, works great!

http://www.lightbulbsdirect.com/page/001/P...ectors/1P381951

Thank you, Roger. As you predicted, air does accumulate in the top of the U-tube, and I do keep my eye on it. So far it's only gotten filled to about 1/2 the depth of the curve by the time I'm taking the tube out to clean it, anyway. Now that's fun in itself... <_< ...usually by this time I have a clump of Xenia on the tube to dislodge, and frequently a snail or Asterina inside it to remove before I can begin cleaning it... :D

Thanks for the tip on the bulb. ATM I only have a "twisty" daylight CF bulb, one of those 23W jobs that's supposed to be equivalent to a 100W incandescent. It seems really bright to me, but the chaeto isn't exactly burgeoning yet. Not sure if that's a matter of light or flow...

based on the pictures, the siphon will continue for only a very short time period due to the small difference in water levels, and will definitely stop before the tank overflows, since the tanks look to be the same height.

I like the new setup, Diane. Looks very nice. First hex fuge I've ever seen :)

Thanks for helping me out with responses, Daniel! Jump in anytime. :D Glad you like the fuge.

Simple and effective. Looks great too! There's a way to remove the accumulation of dust and what not from the top of the fuge using a paper towel if your interested. Doesn't get it all, but removes a lot. I clean the surface of my tank the same way about once a week. Think it helps promote oxygen transfer, but who knows.

Thanks! Actually I have been doing that, and you're right, it does help.

Looks good Diane. It is nice to get the soapdish of chaeto out of the display. I felt like I had a lot more room to play with once I moved my chaeto ball. I'm anxious to see how your new fuge affects your nutrient levels. I was amazed at the difference moving my chaeto ball made on the amount of GHA.

While I haven't tested for NO3- or PO4-3, I have noticed a big improvement in the main tank--all the diatoms have moved to the fuge! :huh::D The Bryopsis is not getting any worse and may in fact be getting better. I'm hoping for even more improvement if and when I can get the chaeto to take off.

Diane, congrats on TOTM and on your baby plate detaching! :D

How is your new fuge doing?

Thanks, Adam!

Regarding the fuge, by and large I love it! There are so many positives, such as being able to top-off or even do a water change via the fuge (the latter when I don't have time to work in the main tank but just want to replace some old SW with some new). I love that the fuge is looking dirtier while the tank is looking cleaner. :D And of course, it's just cool to have a whole other container of SW to stare at. I've got a little CUC in the fuge as well, and the snails love those diatoms...

I still need to improve the water movement in the top reaches of the fuge and figure out if it's that or a matter of light which is hampering chaeto growth...

Meanwhile, I have had a couple of interesting phenomena occur, one a little frustrating and one potentially valuable...

First, I have something in the fuge producing vermetid- or ctenophore-type "strings" in the water column. They emanate from the chaeto clumps, but darned if I can see anything in those from which the strings could emerge. (I've taken out the chaeto and combed through it as carefully and thoroughly as is possible to do without breaking it into tiny pieces.)

Here are some pics of the strings/threads/filaments/webbing.

In the first two, the strands are going after a particular plankter that occasionally blooms in my tank (the things that look sort of like spirorbids here, but they're not!):

dscn6795irf680vw5.jpg

dscn6813irf680gz9.jpg

This is awfully blurry--I include it only to show the strands coming out of the chaeto. The strands in question slant upwards to the left...the right-slanting object is a power cord behind the fuge:

dscn6816irf680gf4.jpg

BTW, here's a short vid of some of the plankters, wiggling in the webbing material, which has been removed from the fuge and placed under a 2X stereo 'scope. They are about as long as a tiny copepod, but much stouter:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8510161087911387616

Anyone recognize them?

Here they are in stills from the 'scope:

2X

dscn6847irf680sp5.jpg

4X

dscn6850irf680kp7.jpg

I really don't know what is making the feeding threads--any ideas?

The second phenomenon:

One day shortly after setting up the fuge, I was looking into it through a magnifying lens when suddenly a baby goby swam right by! Must be a fluke, I thought...that one would get through the mesh on the end of the U-tube and end up in the fuge, rather than end up in the HOB filter or in its Momma's tummy. But, as the hatch continued to appear in the main tank, the babies continued to accumulate in the fuge! Guess that is the strongest water movement in my tank ATM.

They are much harder to see in the fuge than the tank. There's an arrow in this first pic pointing to the most obvious baby--see how small it is compared to the U-tube:

dscn7316arrowirf680nc6.jpg

Here's the same pic cropped--hopefully you can see a few more babies:

dscn7316arrowcroppedirfgf5.jpg

While the babies end up in both the first and second fuge sections, they're easiest to photograph in the first (the section with the U-tube). Here's a short vid that shows them in the fuge, beginning in the center section, where they really don't show up in the vid at all, and moving over the divider to the first section, where you can see them darting about. As always at this stage, they seem to be grazing something that accumulates at the surface of the water where it meets a wall, and off the surface of tiny bubbles:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3724183926215282406

Since then, a large part of each batch of babies has ended up in the fuge. While they last a little longer in there, none have lasted longer than 2 days. But this seems like potentially a good place to try rearing them, if I ever get more of the right sized rotifers...AND manage to get rid of the "string maker(s)"...AND figure out how to disconnect the fuge from the main tank while still keeping it an OK environment for life...

Anyway, that's the fuge story to date. :D

--Diane

Archived