Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My humble 5.5g

c est ma

I really like that fuge diane.(im sure your greenbanded gobies will be happy about the pod boost) It definitely beats that soapdish ;) Dont worry too much about the film on the surface of your fuge. Most of us have it as well.

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply
YAY!!!! Congrats! It looks like it will be a wonderful addition. :D I'm excited for you. That would be a really great fuge too. Also looks like there is plenty of room for some LR and chaeto. w00t!!

+1. I like the new addition. It will only make the tank a more thriving biosphere.

Congrats.

Nice addition, and very creative. Can't wait to see how it works over time. Now you have a cool place to pitch all your unwanted hitchhikers and have your own 'death arena'. :lol:

I just LOVE your tank!

What happens when the power goes out will your 5.5 keep draining into the hex?

based on the pictures, the siphon will continue for only a very short time period due to the small difference in water levels, and will definitely stop before the tank overflows, since the tanks look to be the same height.

I like the new setup, Diane. Looks very nice. First hex fuge I've ever seen :)

Simple and effective. Looks great too! There's a way to remove the accumulation of dust and what not from the top of the fuge using a paper towel if your interested. Doesn't get it all, but removes a lot. I clean the surface of my tank the same way about once a week. Think it helps promote oxygen transfer, but who knows.

Good creativity! Once that chaeto grows you should benefit even more from lower nitrates and more pods. Tank is still looking awesome...

Thanks for the update and pictures!

monkeytrumpets

Looks good Diane. It is nice to get the soapdish of chaeto out of the display. I felt like I had a lot more room to play with once I moved my chaeto ball. I'm anxious to see how your new fuge affects your nutrient levels. I was amazed at the difference moving my chaeto ball made on the amount of GHA.

WOW! Just WOW!

I love your tank so much that it will be the inspiration for my 10 gallon!

I also love so much that I want it as my background! Can you take a high resolution picture of your tank so it is desktop size, cause that would be great!

Congrats and thank you! :haha::bowdown:

Thank you all enormously.

Adin, thank you so much for the role you played, and for all the clever ways you manage to say a lot by saying very little. :)

Daniel & Amber, thanks for all the support and for being able to keep a secret. :) Where on earth do you find those emoticons? I've gotta send that one to my friend who's a DJ!

Now that all the excitement and nervousness is finally a done deal and I can no longer keep rethinking things, I look forward to catching up here, and especially to catching up on everyone else's threads!

--Diane

Thank you, pattykat99! :)

Well, I just dug some old pics up to answer a question about blasto growth in the coral forum, and decided to repost here as well, since I really like my little merleti and I haven't mentioned it in this thread much, if at all. IME it is one hardy lps, and holds its own in a softy tank! The post:

Here are some pics of my B. merleti showing growth over 7 months.

It had 3 polyps when I bought it:

1/7/06

dscn3264irfan9nu6.jpg

2.5 months later it was already growing lots of new little heads. In the following pic, the two large heads on top are the originals (the 3rd original head is behind these two and doesn't show in this pic), and you can see at least 4 new little ones growing beneath them:

3/22/06

dscn4877irfan9ll0.jpg

5 months later it looked like this:

8/20/06

dscn7584irfan9gk3.jpg

It has 30-some heads now.

It likes to eat! :)

--Diane

Wow, somehow in the craziness of the Frag Swap and the last couple of weeks I totally missed your fuge update here, I'm so sorry!

Life's been a little chaotic recently. :wacko:

I don't mind your using the pics.

My little guy likes sitting on my lap when I'm on here and looking at all the pics people post. He'll be THRILLED to see his pic and will probably make me keep scrolling back to it!

It's true that a lot of people see that slow water issue in their fuges as well.

Off the top of my head, there are only 2 ways I can think of to correct it, both of which might be impractical here.

One of them would be to completely turn off the fuge for a few days and rework the divider to the last return compartment so that there are teeth at the top and the water overflows into the last compartment instead of going underneath.

The other way would be to get a cheapo little air pump (like what you sometimes see with the goldfish bowl kits) and just have the airstone in the middle compartment. This would cause agitation of the water surface and would probably take care of the issue, but you'd have to have a top on the fuge to deal with major salt creep around it due to the airstone. You could use the top I sent you to take care of this, you'd just have to cut out a couple of holes to accomodate the u-tube, etc.

LMK if you need more input and I'll try to be better about getting back to you this time. ;)

I'm very glad to hear that you are seeing improvements in your awesome little 5.5 after hooking this up.

Archived