Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

new kitchen nano pics (May 23rd)

Brooklyn Johnny

Brooklyn Johnny

I actually get this at Michael's Craft Store for cheaper than the ridiculous prices in the hobby store I used to go to (which was in turn much less than the reef store :D). The point is do not waste money on "Bob's Super Coral Reef Glue" when it's only the same crap sold in other stores. Which one do you like Cam? Is it a gel?

Johnny

Sir MArcus

Thanks for the help Johnny. The tank has been up for about 4 1/2 months now. I dose with Kent marine supplements. Stro & Mel, Iodine and Tech two part calcium. I also use Spectra vital. I only had the frag for about three days. Then the outer layers of flesh just seemed to start peeling away. Anyway I took some photos and went back to my LFS. They gave me a new Acro and told me to trash the other specimen. The prognosis was necrosis. I hope the new specimen fares better. I'll post some pics for you to check out in my thread on members' Nanos'. Thanks again!!

Brooklyn Johnny

Hey Crak I got it at a LFS, but I have seen it become more available recently online, including liveaquaria.com

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Di...=22&pCatId=1514

However, I just got back from a one week business trip and it's the only thing that isn't thriving in my tank I'm noticing. It's been showing new growth at the tips, but the body I've noticed getting thinner and now has parts of exposed skeleton. I'd bet it's due to lack of appropriate food. My levels are kept up and I do frequent water changes, so I don't think it's that. It's not from growth of algae on it. My four other gorgonian species are doing well and growing like roots. We'll see what happens, but I'd recommend the Diodogorgia species more, as they are equally nice and a much hardier nonphotosynthetic gorgonian from what I've seen and read. That's what I'll try next if this guy goes... At etropicals.com (an Atlantic supplier) they have both the red and the yellow for like $12, and I'll probably try one of each. I'll keep you updated, but once again I wouldn't recommend the Swiftia genus, as I have thrown just about every food at this guy and the polyps are very slowly declining. I've had it since early March about three months...

Johnny

thanks for the info. it's a shame it isn't doing well (everything else in that tank sure is). I love seeing the rarer stuff in people's tanks. makes them that much nicer.

Brooklyn Johnny

It is a shame... everything else is doing well and so that's one more thing pointing to feeding rather than water quality or anything listed above. Anyway I'll kepp all updated...

Johnny

Johnny - Technique question on the gluing.

Do you apply the glue outside the tank to the frag and then move the frag into the tank?

Or do you glue underwater onto the location and then press the frag against it?

Or, do you glue the frag to a rock outside the tank, and then just put both underwater?

I've tried the 1st two with no luck. The glue seems to skin over before I can get it into location on the rocks in the tank, or get the frag into location on the bead of glue I've placed underwater.

Brooklyn Johnny

Hey Grif... it's always easier to apply it outside of the tank, but that's usually not possible. It definately takes practice and you have to "get to know your glue":D . Seriously, I place the glue on the frag and try to position the frag in place. If it doesn't take I place another bead on the frag, and maybe a third layer. This layering works best for me with small frags, which is what we usually have in our nanos. Keep in mind that larger pieces do better with a two part puddy.

Your glue may also be too thick. What I'd recommend doing is practicing in your tank with a few skeletons or snail shells or something, rather than stressing a frag by learning. After a while you'll figure out what works best in the fastest amount of time.

So, summing it up...

Yes to number one... No to number two... and definately YES to number three whenever possible.

If you apply too much glue you could peel it off any surface pretty easily after it gets dry.

Try number one again and if the glue skins over just put more glue on the glue, always trying to keep little or no glue on the living part of the frag. Glue glues to glue pretty well:D ... Hope that helps...

Johnny

Brooklyn Johnny

I just went to spsfrags.com and they pretty much summed up what I found out after a while... the glue on top of glue method, and also they mention the rubbing against the rock to get a good grip... Good call Crak...

Johnny

no problem. After destroying frags and mangling my tank I came across that info and it made a world of difference.

The glue they sell is real good too but you can get cyanoacrylate (or whatever you call it) at most model shops and hardware stores.

Archived