Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

new kitchen nano pics (May 23rd)

Brooklyn Johnny

Brooklyn Johnny

Hey all... I got a few nice new pics this week that I'd like to share showing some progress in my nano... For more system wide specs and info refer to this thread...

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=11234

As always thanks to this site for helping out nanoreefers... it truly is it's own art...

Here's a shot of my purple max which was closing up as my emerald crab walked over him... It is growing well and note the new white deposits of growth...

Johnny

Brooklyn Johnny

My green stag that is growing well and sprouting new corallites... I'll be fragging my purple gorg soon to make more room for this guy...

Brooklyn Johnny

One of the other branches with a good size corallite that branched off a couple of weeks ago... yippee!!:)

Brooklyn Johnny

My Acropora yongei (green slimer) that started as one branch and is now taking off and fully encrusted...

Brooklyn Johnny

My orange capricornis that was originally two little frags that were laughed off at my club meeting... here they are now grown together... you have got to love caps!

Brooklyn Johnny

I'm finally starting to get the good growth from my pink pocillopora that I've seen from the green one... It's body is a nice orange...

Brooklyn Johnny

New growth from my nonphotosynthetic orange Swiftia gorgonian... I have been very happy with this guy doing well...

Brooklyn Johnny

My red ball sponge that came back from the dead. Never throw away a sponge unless it's ALL dead... this guy is coming back strong... great for those shaded areas...

Brooklyn Johnny

Same table but from the top... this guy will hopefully be one of the centerpieces when the 180 gets going...

Brooklyn Johnny

Drdrew thanks a lot... I have plenty of other shots, including a full tanker, in my other thread... I'm happy to answer questions or post pics of something that isn't shown, but I just want to keep from being too repetitive. I'll try and get another full tank shot up next week, but the one in my other thread is pretty current. These few new shots are of stuff I haven't posted in a while or that have shown a big change. Anyway until I get the new ones up here's the link again...

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=11234

Thanks again...

Johnny

Beautiful corals and pics! What more can I say :)

Johnny, do you super glue your frags onto the LR? Super glue gel? That's what I use.

Is your centerpiece SPS a tricolour acro? Very nice :)

Awesome!!!

Also, agree with 100 percent on this site... a fantastic resource and community for nanoreefers.

Dan

Brooklyn Johnny

Thanks fellas...

Dan I have been using a super glue gel also, as I like the consistency much better. They are all cyanoacrylate of different consistencies, and I found a brand of gel that I like the consistency of. I have also the two part puddy but that has proved useless in my nano settings for many reasons.

I do have a tricolor in my tank, but I don't know if it's the centerpiece. Which one were you referring to? The tricolor acro is all the way to the right with the pink tips (there's a few pics of it in my other thread).

Thanks again Dan and may I say that seeing your thread almost tempted me into making room for a derasa or crocea, but I'm stopping at my 4 :D

Johnny

Well, once you setup your 180g, you won't have to think twice about the derasa or crocea :D

I hope to setup a custom 20g or 30g (w/ a 10g fuge) as a 'grow-out' tank soon. I expect that some of the clams and SPS will outgrow the nano within the next 6 to 12 months and will need a new home :).

Dan

Sir MArcus

Johnny, I'm sorry to interupt your thread, but I figured you are the one to go to on this one. When I came home today I noticed something wierd happening to my Acropora. It seems to be shedding it's outer layer. I don't know if anything is wrong. All my water parameters are fine. I dose with Kent Marine Iodine, Strotium & Molybdenum, Tech CB Calcium Buffers A & B and Coral- vite. I also supplement with Spectra-Vital. I'm uploading some pics for you. (If you could give me some pointers on the digi-cam I would be grateful.) Thanks again.

Sir MArcus

Sorry about the lousy pics. (I hope to get better.) Here's another angle. I Tried to move it higher in the water colom today but I found that it attached itself to the LR. Could that be what caused this?

Brooklyn Johnny

Happy to help Marcus... can you tell me how long you've had it and a little about the setup it's in first.

Also, I believe from the pics it is bleaching and not receding. Is there still tissue in the white areas?

I'll try to help but realize that tissue necrosis and bleaching can be caused by many things. As I've said before it's almost like saying, "I came home and found my roomate dead... what happened doctor?"

We'll try and get there... how long's the tank been up, and how long have you had the acropora?

Johnny

Originally posted by Brooklyn Johnny

Dan I have been using a super glue gel also, as I like the consistency much better. They are all cyanoacrylate of different consistencies, and I found a brand of gel that I like the consistency of.  

Johnny

Sorry to rudely interrupt this thread but what brand do you use Johnny? I have 5 frags of hardy SPS coming this Friday and would like to have my gel ready to go. I can use the gel to glue the SPS frags to pieces of LR right?

Thanks!

Brooklyn Johnny

sabin I'll check tonight when I get home from work... although all of the gels are probably about the same, of course making sure it is indeed cyanoacrylate. I'll get back...

Yes they are for sps frags. I have used this gel underwater and it works pretty well. It does take some practice and getting used to, but most frags are pretty forgiving and will grow back over the glued parts, however messy, if provided the right conditions.

Johnny

Brooklyn Johnny

Here's the back where it shows it's cyanoacrylate... follow the warning and don't attempt to glue your eyes shut...???

Johnny

Archived