Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My Aquapod 24 with 150w Sunpod

Mitch529

Ok well my DIY HOB Fuge is all finished! :haha: Now I am just waiting on my pump & lighting which should be here tomorrow.

fullviewvl0.jpg

ftsll6.jpg

topou4.jpg

And my Emerald was actually out in plain sight for once so I took a quick snap of him...

emeraldoc3.jpg

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow....sweet DIY fuge. Did you just come up with those plans yourself? Very professional looking. How is it working thus far?

Wow....sweet DIY fuge. Did you just come up with those plans yourself? Very professional looking. How is it working thus far?

Thanks! Yeah I came up with the plans myself its design is based off of the SapphireAquatics Fuge setup, I really liked their design... but not the price :wacko: I made this for 1/4 what they are asking and its made specifically for my tanks dimensions. I will be adding a DIY Recric skimmer to one of the chambers soon, but as for how works.... its not actually running yet I am still waiting on my extra pump 90 degree PVC Bends, that was just a test mount to make sure everything was holding well with the mounts.

- Mitch

Here are some new pics of the tank with fuge up and running, everything working great so far!

Nice, no light bleeding into tank just a glow out of the top.

fronthc1.jpg

Sorry about the blurriness of these 2, didn't notice when snapping them.

leftkq3.jpg

rightez7.jpg

First corals!

On Friday we stopped by the LFS to pick up a few more Astrea snails and a Cleaner shrimp, while there I decided to get a couple corals nothing major but its a start!

So now stocking totals:

6 Astrea Snails

5 Nassarius

3 Scarlet Hermits (one didn't make it)

1 Emerald Crab

1 Cleaner Shrimp

Corals:

1 'mat' of Star Polyps

1 green/white Mushroom

1 Red Zoa Hitchhiker

The Star Polyps were just the mat not attached to any LR so its rubber-banded to a piece now & the mushroom was just a single head so it is in a container waiting to attach to some rubble.

macrojh0.jpg

topdownzc9.jpg

shroomyj7.jpg

shrimppj6.jpg

EDIT: Forgot I found a Zoa hitchhiker! So thats 3 corals =D

zoaoe5.jpg

annamarie421

VERY NICE, Mitch!! I'm thinking about picking up a very similar setup - AP24 w/ 150 Sunpod & the BC29 stand. Looking forward to more updates from you!!

Anna :)

VERY NICE, Mitch!! I'm thinking about picking up a very similar setup - AP24 w/ 150 Sunpod & the BC29 stand. Looking forward to more updates from you!!

Anna :)

Thank you! I am very happy I went with this setup especially if you plan on adding a HOB Fuge, the extra length of the BC29 stand works perfect! Not to mention the stand is nicely built and has plenty of room inside.

- Mitch

avalanche1201

looken good mitch...I notice u have the BC29 stand...blows the hell outta the Pod stand....mines full of water now but I def want to make the stand switch...I hate not having alot of room in the stand

and the fuge.....looks awesome, hope it works out

looken good mitch...I notice u have the BC29 stand...blows the hell outta the Pod stand....mines full of water now but I def want to make the stand switch...I hate not having alot of room in the stand

and the fuge.....looks awesome, hope it works out

I agree, when we were looking in the LFS at stands the AP stand is just silly, I mean it looks kinda cool but it has no space in it whatsoever :huh: I fit EVERYTHING inside the BC29 stand and still have plenty of room.

As for the Fuge, everything is working great has been running for a couple of days. I still need to get some LS & LR for the fuge but my cheato is doing well, nice and green.

I love how sleek your tank looks with the DIY Fuge. great job

Thank you, thats what I was going for... kinda make it like part of the tank

FTS please!!! :D

I will snap one tomorrow morning, at work now.

New Updates!! :D

Well I met some local reefers on Monday and dropped by to check out his tanks. OMG I have never seen so much coral owned by someone that is not a business.

Here is his frag tank, these are just frags from stuff that has just grown into each other or just plain too big. (over 300 frags of all types of stuff)

102_1006.jpg

And here is one of his tanks (he has 2 others that are equivalent to this tank)

102_1004.jpg

Anyways, he was great with giving me all types of tips etc... The best part he donated a couple frags for me to try out!

Bought this guy from him, an awesome Lavender Mushroom

shroombf8.jpg

And I dont want to hear any crap about the tank being too young for SPS etc... All of my parameters are in check and the tank has been stable for weeks, he knows how young my tank is and is confident that the frags will be just fine, so far they are doing great!

Tenuis green with blue tips, I stink at taking pictures and I cannot capture its color :/

tenuisos7.jpg

Elkhorn frag and in the background a Formosa frag

elkhornlp7.jpg

Here is a FTS, again sorry for the crappy shot just cannot figure out the right settings to capture the true color.

ftses1.jpg

I also added a Hydor Koralia #2 so I have enough flow for the SPS, I am now pushing around 1000gph so I should have plenty of flow, though in the future I may loose one of the MJ900 and add another Koralia in the opposite corner

Here is a snap of the surface action!

surfacerr6.jpg

Now I am just waiting on shipping for some parts to build my skimmer. Next week I am going to pick up a kenya tree frag from the other local guy I met so I will update some more pics once i get this stuff (and practice taking pics until then :angry: )

- Mitch

Hey just wanted to comment on the zoo, are your sure it isn't a majano anemone, i had one when i first got my tank and i also thought it was a zoo hitchhiker but man was i wrong. Take a look at it and make sure it hasn't moved if it has it is a majano and you need some joe's juice. Also i have small majano in my tank right now that i need to get rid of and it looks exaclty like the one you took a pick of, just try to keep an eye on it because if it is a majano it will move and sting and kill coral that it comes in contact with!

Edit: any way you can get a closer and more clear pic of it?

Well some new updates!

I decided to remove the Koralia #2 since it was beating my LPS up :( But in good news I traded the SPS frags and sold the #2.

New livestock added:

Red Shrooms

Tyree Blue Chalice

Branching Hammer

Pink Pulsing Pom Pom Xenia

Yellow Zoas

GSP

Kenya Tree

AND the first fish a, Black and White Ocellaris Clownfish named DaDa (if you have ever seen the Friday Trilogy ;))

Sorry for the glare :angry:

img0332jo8.jpg

Oh and the best news, our apartment decided to come to their senses and offer a reasonable rate on a lease renewal AND credit us for the deposit we already put down on a new apartment. So we have decided to stay, now its free reign on adding stuff to the tank no more worries about having to tear it down in 2 months!!

Mitch

Was messing around with camera this morning trying to hone my abilities... So here are the results, some macro shots.

Kenya Tree

kenyatreedl9.jpg

Xena

xenazx4.jpg

Trumpet

trumpetei0.jpg

New head growth on my hammer (there are 5 new growths in all)

hammergrowthit3.jpg

Mitch

Nice looking corals i really want to get a hammer but i am not sure if i should get a branching or a wall hammer

Yeah, the reason I went for the branching is when it starts getting too big its very easy to frag... just cut off a branch, I don't know the exact process for the wall hammers but I think it requires a dremmel and cutting tissue.

Yeah, the reason I went for the branching is when it starts getting too big its very easy to frag... just cut off a branch, I don't know the exact process for the wall hammers but I think it requires a dremmel and cutting tissue.

I was thinking the same thing about the hammer i think i am going to go with the branching!

A small update... Nothing much has changed with the tank lately, I have 15lbs of new LR curing in a bucket to add to the tank.

Changed my MH Bulb to a Phoenix 14k and made a jump shield.

topop3.jpg

Well after a major operation yesterday everyone is back and happy! I removed everything (except for sand) from the tank and put them in buckets and added my new 10lbs of LR, after a couple hours of aquascaping I think I am finally happy with the structure.

Next additions planned:

Open Brain

Zoas

Rics

Leather of some sort

and many more impulse buys :P

Goby either YWG or Yasha & a Pistol

and I haven't decided on a third fish, maybe another clown (a false perc to opposite my b&w)

fronthx4.jpg

rightsidexn7.jpg

leftsidemd3.jpg

Archived