inTank Media Baskets

Ask Questions Here

MJD

Hey MJD (or whomever may want to answer this question) -- since you've so kindly put this thread here, I won't have to start my own:

I'm slowly setting up a CADlights 22g with 144w of T5 HO lighting. The tank is (I think) 14 inches deep. What would your recommendations be for corals that would do well under this lighting? This is a long shot, but what about anemones or clams (not really planning on having either one, but just out of curiosity). I've currently only kept softies, but I'd like to try at LEAST some LPS in the 22g. Thanks!

Hey MJD (or whomever may want to answer this question) -- since you've so kindly put this thread here, I won't have to start my own:

I'm slowly setting up a CADlights 22g with 144w of T5 HO lighting. The tank is (I think) 14 inches deep. What would your recommendations be for corals that would do well under this lighting? This is a long shot, but what about anemones or clams (not really planning on having either one, but just out of curiosity). I've currently only kept softies, but I'd like to try at LEAST some LPS in the 22g. Thanks!

You can definitely keep LPS corals. I think they would be fairly happy with the lights that are on top of them. I think you should steer clear of an anemone and a clam not because of the lighting, but because your tank has to mature. Later on down the road an anemone might be possible, I have known people who grow them under PC's and are fine. Anemones and clams are very hard to keep, even in a system with halides.

Hope this helps,

MJD

Cheers, MJD!

I wasn't, and still am not, planning on getting either a clam or anemone, but I was curious to know if they would be possible at some point down the road (with a VERY stable, mature tank) in case I should change my mind. Thanks for answering me! I'm going to really enjoy playing with LPS corals for the first time!

I gots a question!!

i asked it on my newest thred-

-- kalk

i have read a couple articles about it-

i understand it is not required to have a calcium reactor/kalk reactor but how difficult is it to dose without the security of one?

what supplements would one consider dosing with- whats safe to dose with-

Well, as a new guy here I'm gonna try and answer as many of these as I can, because what goes around comes around :)

Now.

Right off the bat, what are you keeping? LPS? SPS? Softies? Polyps? If you're dosing anything that needs a lot of calcium, like SPS, you'll need to supplement a Kalk dose, prolly with a 2-parter.

If you're doing Kalk, keep in mind that all the reactor does is give you a nice, saturated, stirred kalk solution without all the elbow grease. You can get close to the same results by keeping the kalk fresh, and mixing it up right before you dose.

It's not difficult to dose Kalk without fancy equipment. The bulletproof / tried and true way is to do it off your evaporation rate.

1) Buy a float valve and put it in your sump

2) Buy a container that you can put a hose barb in and connect it to the float (gravity feed)

3) Profit

Depending on your evap rate, you can maintain Ca of something like 420ish. That's good for coralline, macros, softies and polyps, less so for SPS or LPS.

If you're just starting, don't mess with other additives, like iodine or magnesium. Just do regular water changes, that replaces the important trace elements.

Hope it helps.

• 12 years later...

Hello! Quick question... I recently (as in yesterday) got a pair of clownfish for my reef tank, yay! However, one of them seems to only have one pelvic fin, and swimming completely horizontal and won’t leave the cove. I’m unsure what to do... will it grow back? 

I really appreciate the feedback thank you so much!!

image.jpg

If the base of the fin is badly damaged, it may not regrow. If the base is roughly intact, it should regrow to some extent. About all you can do is keep the water clean and make sure food gets down to it, maybe with a turkey baster. 

I'm not sure the fin damage is responsible for the sideways swimming, though. Might not be helping its balance, but its swim bladder should be keeping it roughly upright, I'd think. Even if clownfish swim bladders are a little small. Is it making any effort to right itself? Do you have any idea when and how the damage happened? 

No I’m not sure, it was swimming fine in the tank it was in before I transferred it to my personal tank. It’s possible it could have gotten caught in the net during transit. I guess I can give it time, I just want to make sure it’s healing and not suffering you know 😞 I just want it to be okay... thank you so much for the response though, very helpful!!

• 2 weeks later...

My Euphyllia is somehow loosing it’s heads... it’s not dying, because sit still looks healthy on the one side, but on the other side it is depleting and little white strips are left. I put this lil guys in there a few weeks ago, but it was full when I put it in. Why and how is this happening? Is this normal, or should I be worried? 

image.jpg

Something is probably eating it. Sneak up on your tank at night, preferably with a red flashlight, and have a look. If you don't catch anything, isolate it as much as possible and try again. 

What do you know you have in the tank? Intentional critters or otherwise.

1 hour ago, Tired said:

Something is probably eating it. Sneak up on your tank at night, preferably with a red flashlight, and have a look. If you don't catch anything, isolate it as much as possible and try again. 

What do you know you have in the tank? Intentional critters or otherwise.

I have about 10 hermit crabs and snails, a new cleaner shrimp, and two small Percula clowns

I have a question regarding cristata torch. I got a small three head torch, it was going good for few weeks and then suddenly, polyps on one head was not extending and now its completely disappeared where as other two heads are doing awesome. I have another torch that is also doing great. what could be the reason, they usually die like this?  

Torch 3 head.jpeg

Torch.jpeg