Innovative Marine Aquariums

Am I on the right track?

Reef Newb

Okay well I am usually into planted aquariums but decided I am going to give reefs a try. I plan on setting up a low light/dim light 10g reef. Here is what I plan on getting as far as equipment and livestock:

Equipment:

28 watt 50/50 bulb

2 powerheads

50 watt heater

Eggcrate

Hydrometer

Thermostat

Livestock:

Live Aragonite

Tonga Live Rock

EITHER:

Pair of True/False Percula Clownfish

1x Purple Firefish and 1x Pajama Cardinal

Pair of Purple Firefish

Pair of Pajama Cardinals

1 True/False Perula Clownfish and 1x Purple Firefish

Cleanup Crew:

2x Blue Legged or 1x Red Legged Hermit Crab, 4x Turbo Snails, 1x Cleaner Shrimp

Sun Coral

Red Gorgonian or Yellow Gorgonian

Ricordea Mushroom

Question time xD!

• Is there any other equiment I need besides the sea salt?
  • What name brand sea salt mix would you recomend
  • Which of the following fish stocks would be the best for the tank?
  • Are the corals I chose sufficient for this kind of setup?
  • Does my Cleanup cre seem fine?
  • How much sand would I need to make a good snad bed?

I will be getting I tems slowly as I am not that wealthy. I have access to all the corals and fish and done some research on them but want to comfirm.

Thanks.

I'd bump up the lighting a bit. And I wouldn't go with the 4x turbos they get huge. Try cerith snails. They are great. They also stirup the and to ensure no dead spots. Continue to read anything you can. Even if your not experiencing it at the time, it always helps to be well informed. Happy reefing

I may be able to up the light to 36 watts but Im not sure about if I can 50/50 bulb. We sell those snails at work, just didnt know what they were called. Definitely going to be reading on. Thanks.

Beg, borrow, or steal to get more lighting. You won't be able to grow much with a 28W light (I have that on my 2.5 gallon tank, btw). Maybe some mushrooms, zoas, and that's about it. I don't know much about the corals you've selected, but I would guess they won't do well in that low-light setup. If you're dead-set on going low light, do a lot of research to find some corals that will do well in low light.

I'm not a fan of cardinals, as the ones I've seen don't do much, they just hang out. Kind of boring, if you ask me.

As for sand bed depth, here is the sand bed calculator from Reef Central. Sand Bed Calculator I would aim for a depth around 1.5 inches.

You might also consider investing in a refractometer. Makes keeping salinity stable very easy.

Good luck, we're all counting on you.

Beg, borrow, or steal to get more lighting. You won't be able to grow much with a 28W light (I have that on my 2.5 gallon tank, btw). Maybe some mushrooms, zoas, and that's about it. I don't know much about the corals you've selected, but I would guess they won't do well in that low-light setup. If you're dead-set on going low light, do a lot of research to find some corals that will do well in low light.

I'm not a fan of cardinals, as the ones I've seen don't do much, they just hang out. Kind of boring, if you ask me.

As for sand bed depth, here is the sand bed calculator from Reef Central. Sand Bed Calculator I would aim for a depth around 1.5 inches.

You might also consider investing in a refractometer. Makes keeping salinity stable very easy.

Good luck, we're all counting on you.

From everything I read on the corals is that the Ricordea mushrom is one of the easiest and most undemanding coral. The sun coral is nocturnal and does not like direct lighting/intense lighting. The gorgonian species are usually found at deeper levels where light is not easily reached. I.E. the corals I had selected are pretty proper for this setup. I may be able to get either a 36 watt 50/50 bulb or 2x 27 watt(one actinic one daylight).

Yeah I was leaning more towards the Clownfish because 1) the kids I babysit like them and 2) it may be an interesting way to teach them how to keep the reefs safe and keep them alive for the fish to survive.

I will definitely look into one!

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Archived