Cultivated Reef

Furan 2 treatment..........

The Propagator

The directions on the Furan 2 is 1 packet for 10 gallons so how much do I use for just a couple of cups of water ? I really don't want to make a whole 10 gallons up wouldn't 1 powder pack be too much for just 2 large cups of water?

I tried it with 2 large cups of water and 1 full pack of furan2. My zoas are doing work after the 3 days dip. So I don't think it will be too much.

I have been mixing 1 cup of water for 1 pack of furan2. The zoas seem to be doing fine

I tried it with 2 large cups of water and 1 full pack of furan2. My zoas are doing work after the 3 days dip. So I don't think it will be too much.

I wonder if furan 2 can impact the tank PH after putting the zoas back in the tank?

Does anyone know the PH of furan? thanks

SeeDemTails

I would mix it one cup of water to one capsule of furan 2. It is a dip, you want it to be concentrated. Also, put an air stone in with it so you get it circulating around the zoas.

No, furan has no impact on your corals or fish, or pH, and I have dipped a lot of zoas a lot of times....which brings me to my next point......

Yes, it does come back, even after you have cured other colonies, they can be reinfected or still spread it to other colonies.

I would only say furan stops the process and temporarily provides releif to the system, but I have had colonies that have had re-occurances two and three times. I can only say I think I fully cured one colony, but the verdict is still out on if it will stay that way, going on one month of being pox free on this colony.

Some species of zoas show small white dots, other just get hard and shrink, yet others show large lesions and then the entire polyp gets soft. I think this disease affects different zoas in different ways.

I will say that I do not think it effects palythoas, none of the palys in my tank have shown any signs of infection, just small polyped zoas.

All in all, it has made me re-think my outlook on reef keeping. Zoas are one of my favorite corals, and if this current disease is going to be this hard to beat and almost impossible to ensure new zoas dont have it without months of QT, then I almost dont want to be involved in this hobby.

The stress of loosing two years collection of rare zoas, over $1000 worth of polyps, I am borderline about to sell my tanks.

Side effects are that some colonies will look worse and worse, no matter how many dips, then they begin to die and then you have mad nitrates and other toxics in your tank, which effects everything else.

When do you just say fug it and chuck a colony? should you just keep trying to save it until it withers away in your tank poisoning everything? I have lost so many nice colonies that I am afraid I will never be able to find that morph again.

I will never buy another colony of zoas unless I QT them for months, and even then if you add another frag to QT before taking the healthy zoas out, you risk wasting all that time.

Its a shame, I used to love zoas soo much and now I almost hate them.

Reef keeping companies need to step up and figure this out. The first to come out with not only a temporay solution, which furan is IMO, but a full blown process to the cure, will make a lot of money.

SeeDemTails,

I hear you. I really like zoas too. I thought they were hardy and bought qutie a bit in a small period of time. Most of them do pretty well in the first or two month but then when the zoapox started appearing, most zoas are infected except palys. Sigh ... now I am thinking about selling all my healthy colonies and may be keep my palys and only one colony which is my favorite. If it dies ... it dies. So, I am pretty much staying away from zoas.

Planning to keep only ricordia, toadstool, frogspawn/hammerhead, shrooms, xenias, leathers, acans etc ... I will try to research and see if those corals have diseases ... I am trying to stay away from constant disease/pest treatments. So SPS is also a no go for me.

Don't sell your tank though ... it is a fun hobby and there are many beautiful corals you can choose from =)

Bluesky.

SeeDemTails

Naw im not gonna sell my tank, I just feel like it sometimes. The stress caused by the tank is worse than anything else, work, bill ect ect. My tanks rocked for like three years, and then bam, one colony of dragon eyes to many and all that down the drain.

I will continue to keep zoas, but I will not add anything that hasnt been QT for a long time. Its a shame, I used to not beleive in QT tanks, just good dips in iodine and maybe interceptor for SPS.

I have bought hundred of zoa colonys, and never had a problem with any of them. Think, before this epidemic, had any of you ever seen a dead zoa before? I know I hadnt. This seems to be something that has heavily effected tanks within the past 6 months to a year. I never saw or heard of this before then. Now, a walk through almost any LFS will show zoas that are infected. I now ask to see the colony out of the water and under a light before I purchased any zoas.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to post an update:

2 sets of Furan2 treatments

1) half of the colony (40 polyps) is infected by zoapox - treated with 3 days of furan2 + fresh SW - most polyps turned into brown color and most zoapox are gone, only 4 -5 polyps open up. So, I am going to throw it away after I frag out the healthy pieces

2) dip the rest of my colonies (6 separate colonies) with very limited zoapox infection - treated with 3 days of furan2 + fresh RO water with PH and temperature balanced - most colonies do NOT open up anymore after a week. Many "used to be healthy" polyps turned brown and not a lot of polyps open up

So, in terms of my experience ... Furan2 did not do much good after the dip. May be it is better off that I do not dip the healthy ones

The Furan2 I used is the new powder pack which is yellow powder not the tablet.

There is good news though. Palys are doing very well after the dip ... they all came back very healthy.

I will keep the group updated if the zoas come back alive after 1 month. I am not dipping anymore though.

• 2 weeks later...

As always there is a risk with dipping the zoas and palys. The full treatment is something I would NOT recommend for healthy colonies. Taking corals out and dipping them in a super concentrated solution of medications... it's something that should be used as a last resort since the colony will almost certainty die without treatment.

Speaking of which, after a little thought as far as some of my zoas, I'll have to start this treatment in a day or so (as soon as I pick up the meds) and I'll try to post the results here. I've already lost and entire colony and the other colony on the same rock is starting to show symptoms. Apparently it's also managed to spread to several other zoas in the tank and I'm on the verge of loosing some 8 different types of zoas... not something I'm really willing to have happen.

As always there is a risk with dipping the zoas and palys. The full treatment is something I would NOT recommend for healthy colonies. Taking corals out and dipping them in a super concentrated solution of medications... it's something that should be used as a last resort since the colony will almost certainty die without treatment.

Speaking of which, after a little thought as far as some of my zoas, I'll have to start this treatment in a day or so (as soon as I pick up the meds) and I'll try to post the results here. I've already lost and entire colony and the other colony on the same rock is starting to show symptoms. Apparently it's also managed to spread to several other zoas in the tank and I'm on the verge of loosing some 8 different types of zoas... not something I'm really willing to have happen.

I have updates for you guys too. So the worst infected colony is coming back now ... more than 2 weeks after treatment. 70% of the polyps are coming back up and no signs of zoapox. However, for my health colonies, 2 of them have melted away. As Scucci said ... there is a risk.

I have another question. Do u guys have Xenia (pink and silver tip) in the same tanks you have Zoapox? If so, are those okay? All of my xenia has melted away too. All other corals, fish and inverts are fine. And water test show all parameters are good.

• 2 weeks later...

when you do the furan 2 treatment.. after you dip them for However Long.. do you dip them another cup of just pure RO water to clean off the treatment , then put them back in the tank??

islandcreation

Has anyone seen zoapx on palys? I began collecting palys about a year ago based on them not being affected by nudi's (thicker skin what I heard) and zoa pox. Does that sound right to you guys or am I just getting really lucky with all my palys?

Has anyone seen zoapx on palys? I began collecting palys about a year ago based on them not being affected by nudi's (thicker skin what I heard) and zoa pox. Does that sound right to you guys or am I just getting really lucky with all my palys?

I have never seen Palys with zoapox. So probably immuned to it.

Archived