inTank Media Baskets

Furan 2 treatment..........

The Propagator

The Propagator

1st PUT ON YOUR GLOVES !!!!!!!

Weareyourgloves.jpg

Make up FRESH salt water in TWO separate buckets.

The 1st one will hold enough Saltwater and Furan2 to cover what your dipping.

The dosage is 1 capsule per 2 cups FRESH saltwater.

The second bucket wild hold as much Fresh Saltwater as you need to cover and rinse the infected pieces off before you return them in to the main tank.

After you have mixed up the desired amount of Furan2 and fresh Saltwater dip your coral in it for 30 minutes.

Rinse and return.

Do this 3 days in a row.

Let them rest a week.

If they are not fully cured 10 days after the 1st dip repeat the process with two changes.

this time only do a 20 minute dip and only 2 days in a row.

THEY WILL BE CURED of fungus AND zoapox !!!

Ever wonder what 11 capsules of Furan2 in 22 cups of water looks like?

BAM !!

22cups11capsules.jpg

Ever seen a bucket worth well over $8k retail? how about two? :haha:

BAM!

bucketOcoral1.jpg

bucketOcoral2.jpg

This is why you rinse before you return:

EEEWWWWW !

rinsebucket.jpg

You cant tell by the pic but there is a green tint to the water.

Plus you get a chance top rinse off all the nasties that perished during the dip.

What my tank looks like with no zoanthid rocks in it LOL!!!

The cubbard is BARE !!

emptytank.jpg

SeeDemTails

Cool, it works it for sure!

I have saved several colonies of zoas, but my fight is keeping from

returning and re infecting healthy frags.

It does work for sure though and hasnt hurt anything!

The Propagator

Epicfish,

PPRPE, PPE, Armor Of Gods, Armagedons, RPE, GPE, Jade Beauties, Ruby Reds, Rainbow palys, Tubs blue, Green dragon eyes, Orange dragone eyes, Nuclear green dragon eyes, revers gorilla nipples.....

COLONIES not frags.

I grow them up and then frag them off and re grow.

So considering the cost per frag they average out to be and the number of colonies aside from the ones I have named off there are probably more than 8k in those two buckets RETAIL. ;)

Plus your looking at only 2 3rds of my zoanthid stock in those two buckets on top of that EST ret. 8k's worth.

I have another 100 some odd frags and 5 more large colonies in two more tanks full of different kinds of coral aside from the tank I showed you.

I wasn't labeled a coral whore for nothing man !!

:haha:

seeDemTails,

Thats why I am dipping EVERY THING at once all together on the same days.

;)

The Propagator

Yeah I'm a ball of fur. :lol:

Josh, your the one not answering emails and PM's Jackie. ;)

FateX9, dipped them all as a precaution because they were all in the same tank at one time. I caught half of them early and was able to cur ethem with standard measures and as they were cured I removed them to a separate system.

I take no chances and no prisoners anymore.

I am dipping EVERY zoanthid I get in furan2 BEFORE I place it in a holding system I set up specifically for new zoanthid colonies and frags.

I have a system now for new zoanthids.

1 day of arrival, Furan 2 dip ( cures and pox or fungus), then to the holding tank. 2nd day iodine and Sw dip ( flushes away any zoanthid eating nudi branchs). 3rd day. Reef-Dip ( gently cleans and disinfects).

Then watch them for a week in the holding tank.

I will NEVER go through that chit again.

Talk about a pain in my azz and my wallet. WHEW !

I bet I lost over $600.00 or so retail in frags to poxs and fungus.

SeeDemTails

Yeah, I lost half of mine as well. I managed to save almost all my valued frags though. The colonies that were hit the hardest were carribean strands, but indo zoas were affected too. The only ones that didnt show any signs of infections were the playthoas. I truley beleive they are not suceptable to these diseases.

It started with a colony of dragon eyes.

I try to warn my LFS to watch all their zoas closely or they will pay dearly but of course they dont listen. All it takes in one infected colony and you are in for more headaches than you care to imagine. Atleast with furan 2 you know there is something you can do about it.

I am now recovering and most of my frags/colonies are very healthy looking.

The Propagator,

Thanks for sharing this treatment info. I need it too sigh ...

I also read the thread on zoaid.com.

Is there a difference between using RO freshwater with Furan2 and FRESH SW with Furan2?

Thanks,

Bluesky

a member in our local reef club tried furan2 in fresh sw but said it's not as effective. he's a RC member and his user name is ianiwane so you might want to PM him for detail. if you don't have a RC account, i can try PM him for you. is there a reason you can't ro freshwater drip your zoa? or are you just curious?

a member in our local reef club tried furan2 in fresh sw but said it's not as effective. he's a RC member and his user name is ianiwane so you might want to PM him for detail. if you don't have a RC account, i can try PM him for you. is there a reason you can't ro freshwater drip your zoa? or are you just curious?

Thanks for the info dzhuo. I am a beginner, so I don't really know how to adjust the PH to 8.3 for the RO freshwater properly and quickly. I have the probuffer from Kent Marine, but have really never dose that before. do you know if I can just add the Furan2 to regular RO freshwater (adjust temp to match aquarium water)?

I just finished my dipping my day 1. I will let you know how that goes.

btw, the Furan2 is in powder form now instead of tablets and the solution is yellow instead of green.

to raise the ph in ro/di or distill water, add a tiny bit of baking soda (or your kent marine probuffer should work too) and you will be right there. add a heater to warm up the water a bit to match your tank's temperature. add a small power head or air stone to oxygenate the water. put the furan2 into the water, mix it up really well until it's dark green. put the zoas in it for anything between 15 to 30 minutes. take the zoas out, wash it a bit using tank water (this step is technically not necessary according to the doc) and put it back to your tank. you are done!

my lfs still have the tablet form of furan2 but i have heard that the power form is the new package. i suppose they are the same.

to raise the ph in ro/di or distill water, add a tiny bit of baking soda (or your kent marine probuffer should work too) and you will be right there. add a heater to warm up the water a bit to match your tank's temperature. add a small power head or air stone to oxygenate the water. put the furan2 into the water, mix it up really well until it's dark green. put the zoas in it for anything between 15 to 30 minutes. take the zoas out, wash it a bit using tank water (this step is technically not necessary according to the doc) and put it back to your tank. you are done!

my lfs still have the tablet form of furan2 but i have heard that the power form is the new package. i suppose they are the same.

Thanks dzhuo. how much RO water should I use? I just finished my day 2 dose. I am using 2 large cups of fresh saltwater + furan2. I will try your method with the RO water on day 3.

My friend uses RO water for his furan2 treatment as well. He actually just dump everything in without balancing the ph, temperature and oxygen level. I will find out if his treatment is going on smoothly.

The Propagator

I didn't balance jack.

Just made up fresh SW straight form the tap, dechlorinated it, and added the furanII as directed.

furan2 does seem to be very effective against zoa pox, though it doesn't help much when they are melting away lol it just sped up the process more

i don't know the exact gallon when i drip mine. i use a small plastic bucket which holds maybe like 1/2 gallon (?). i then add a bit (just tiny bit) of baking soda, a small air stone, a heater and let it heat the distill water up. i then add the furan2 and mix it until it's all dark green. i put the zoas in (all at once) and took them out 20 minutes later. i wash them a bit using the tank's water and put the zoas back in. that's about it.

a few of the frags didn't make it but the rest recover really well and i haven't seen the pox come back yet. good luck on yours! :)

i don't know the exact gallon when i drip mine. i use a small plastic bucket which holds maybe like 1/2 gallon (?). i then add a bit (just tiny bit) of baking soda, a small air stone, a heater and let it heat the distill water up. i then add the furan2 and mix it until it's all dark green. i put the zoas in (all at once) and took them out 20 minutes later. i wash them a bit using the tank's water and put the zoas back in. that's about it.

a few of the frags didn't make it but the rest recover really well and i haven't seen the pox come back yet. good luck on yours! :)

Thanks for all the info. I think half of mine are melting away ... I treat it a bit too late. I waited for 3 days because I can't find Furan2 near my location. I have to drive all the way up to 6th Ave (San Francisco) over the weekend to buy them. It is not an expensive colony, so not much loss. I think half of the colony will make it =)

duane, are you sure about the dosage of 2 cups to 1 capsule? seems like an awful lot....melevs reef seems to be following the instructions on the label

duane, are you sure about the dosage of 2 cups to 1 capsule? seems like an awful lot....melevs reef seems to be following the instructions on the label

From what I remember, that actually sounds right.

I usually do 1 cup / 1 capsule, seems to work pretty well

I just finished my first 3 days treatment with fresh SW on one colony. I am going to treat the rest of my zoas with furan2 and RO water. We will see how that goes. I also use 2 large cups + 1 powder pack (new packing). Will keep you guys updated =)

I wonder have you guys experience zoapox reoccurring after it has been cured? (assumed I don't introduce any new corals) Zoas are pretty but if I have to keep treating them ... its going to be a huge pain.

The directions on the Furan 2 is 1 packet for 10 gallons so how much do I use for just a couple of cups of water ? I really don't want to make a whole 10 gallons up wouldn't 1 powder pack be too much for just 2 large cups of water?

Archived