Top Shelf Aquatics

Mantis Cube

Jared

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well i broke down a ripped my rock work apart, i didnt like the top,

so this is the new and i think cleaner look, also notice how i cut down the stainer hiding it more

oh and i still cant find a mantis.....

dscn3291mf1.jpg

dscn3292mx6.jpg

dscn3293tu4.jpg

dscn3294fo8.jpg

Looking good! This is a barebottom tank right? If so, what did you use on the bottom? Also, is the xenia attached to the white board stuff? Its going to look awesome when it starts to cover it a little.

no its a thin thin layer of sand, the xenia is on a frag pug i cut down and i just covered with sand, my rock work before looked to piled up

Wow! That sand is perfectly flat I couldnt even tell it was sand! lol

Why not put the xenia on the rockwork? It would look really cool.

how are u going to add coral to that tank without getting your thumbs split open..yikes..never understood how fish did that haha. Other then that looks good, wait is that a coralife screwin bulb??

yes it is a screw in bulb, until my viper light arrives :)

mantis shrimp kinda hide when you put your hand in, you just have to keep your eye on them when moving coral

Your tank is awesome. Have you thought about fragging that zoa colony? How do you keep the tank so clean?

nope no one localy has asked for those zoa's, and i didnt think my tank was that clean, i use very little sand so when its dirty its easy to siphon out

check out these awsome new zoo's i just picked up, there not all open yet buy you get the idea, and i think i got a encrusted coral attached, can anyone ID it?

dscn3295um6.jpg

dscn3296fr0.jpg

dscn3297oz0.jpg

Yeah thats why I decided not to get a mantis. They seem scary. :P

What are you going to put on the very top rock?

well if i ever get that small halide light i'll put some birdsnest on the top,

if i can find a very small long nose hawk fish id like to put him in here until he grows and then move him to a bigger tank, i really like those fish

It's probably just my eyes, but I'm having trouble telling from your pic.

Sometimes a coralline alga or a sponge or something will overgrow a coral skeleton and look a lot like coral tissue. Do you see any polyps or tiny tentacles--maybe at night?

--Diane

Since thats such a small tank your going to be limited on the species of Mantis you can keep. I would recommend a Gonodactylus smithii though they can be quite hard to find, I was lucky to find mine.

05030005.jpg

If you cant find a G. Smithii try goin for a Neogonodactylus wennerae which you can get from Tampa Bay Saltwater, http://www.tampabaysaltwater.com/, they get them quite frequently in their live rock.

If that doesnt work go to the mantis shrimp forum at Reef Central, http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdis...&forumid=37

They may even have some Mantis Shrimp for sale. Lots of info on the little guys over there too!!

Also check this out... http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropoda/cr...traca/royslist/

Awesome lookin tank by the way...how did you plumb it? (I didnt read the whole thread...just skipped around a bit, if you already said ill find that post)

i think i posted it but i just have two 3/4 bulkheads drilled on the bottom of the tank connected to an xp1 canister filter inside the little drawers, which holds my heater, its really simple

Archived