Top Shelf Aquatics

Mantis Cube

Jared

for a long time ppl were stumped by this coral. however, recently, feeding coral became a big thing. since then there have been a few rare scattered reports of success with this coral. it is thought that they usually die because they need to be fed several times a day. otherwise they slowly starve. for the bad track record in tanks, i have completely avoided them and avoided doing any further research on them... here's a good site though.

http://www.goniopora.org/index.htm

btw, im on canreef too (justinl)! do you use a different username on there (just a guess, hurley?)?

edit: if even marinedepotlive (a vendor!) is hailng this coral as hard to keep, it really must be bad.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

heres a couple more shots, the only downside to this setup is that the side facing the bulkheads has alot of flow and i can not think of any coral that will accept that kind of flow

the long branch with frogspawn isnt staying in the tank, i have one head around back that im going to keep

dscn3263kz1.jpg

dscn3264uk2.jpg

dscn3265oc2.jpg

dscn3269xb4.jpg

dscn3271uc2.jpg

dscn3272tt2.jpg

haha im hurey. how could you guess that i dont think i post anything about this tank on there

sorry for being a picture whore but heres my buddy

dscn3273xm7.jpg

dscn3275ip2.jpg

irishtexan

Looks really good! Yeah it will be pretty hard finding a mantis, but you have a chance.

I would say go with a harlequin pair. They are really cool and would really stand out. Or you could also do like 5 sexy shrimp which are equally as cool. Your decision though.

-texx

I think this is my new favorite tank. I am going to keep watching this one. Absolutely amazing design and scaping. I love what you are doing with this!!! :D

Nice tank, I actually just picked up a mantis today. I will try to post pictures tommorow, but not if I get to go see Transformers!

Not a picture whore, we love pictures its better than trying to use your (what's that word) Imagination LOL. Thank God for TV

i might get some neat thing to watch in the tank until the mantis i want is available,

so far my stocking list is

three stripe damsel

5 zebra hermits

three different zoa colors

frogspawm

GSP

flower pot coral

hairy mushroom

buton polyps

just using a coralife 50/50 pc bulb and all these corals are opening up great

does it screw into that lamp?

yeah just like a normal house hold bulb, but instead coralife used pc bulbs, works great for soft corals, but growth will probably be a lot slower, which is what im looking for because i don't want anything to outgrow my tank ha ha, but soon im going to get a 70 watt halide

yeah just like a normal house hold bulb, but instead coralife used pc bulbs, works great for soft corals, but growth will probably be a lot slower, which is what im looking for because i don't want anything to outgrow my tank ha ha, but soon im going to get a 70 watt halide

right on. looks good

thanks

id say my lighting setup is the main downside to my setup, but to keep the cost down it was the only option i didnt want the light hanging over the edge or sitting on the tank, if i see a good deal on a viper 70 watt im going to grab that and make an awsome light fixture

thanks

so are there any corals that will accept alot of flow? i really don't like the back being so bald, well its okay for now but when i move the tank to an area where you can walk all the way around it, its going to look funny

heres a shot at my Top off system i created, for the time being it makes it a lot easier but i hope soon i can get a dosing pump so i dont have this ugly thing over my tank

toma8.jpg

i moved around some corals today and put one of the frogspawns in place, if i don't sell the bigger one i think im going to attach it beside the other one

ftscb1.jpg

this is what it looks like from far away, it needs to be moved to a room with more space

fullviewzc8.jpg

and the ugly side, maybe once i get MH lighting i can put some sps corals in the high flow area

uglysidene7.jpg

heres a shot of my zoo's they have a nice pink sparkle

zoascl0.jpg

ReadyReefer

You would have to research them but I think a staghorn crab would be neat in that tank.

Here is a link

EDIT: forgot to mention that this is probably the cleanest tanks I have seen. I also love the coral selection.

thats an interesting crab, im giving the mantis idea another week and if nothing shows up i might make it a pom pom crab paradise and maybe a cleaner shrimp

I still think a mantis would look awesome in that tank.

I just picked up this mantis, I couldn't stay away they are so interesting

101_0277.jpg

101_0278.jpg

I thought you could take some type of metal ductwork and attach it around your light, paint it... and wallaaa you have a nice way to create a hanging hood type setup by attaching it to the light fixture.. I hope that is an ook explantion.

Archived