Pod Your Reef

what direction do you aim your nozzle?

Darklyte24

Darklyte24

my clown seems to swim in a usual spot, sometimes venturing off but around 1 spot. could it be that it likes the current?

Should one point the nozzle down up left or right?... I have a biocube 14..

Darklyte24

i had it point striaght a down a little, but i switched it so its straght so it aggitates the top water a little for the O2 from reading another post. maybe i should get the loc line stuff?

If I didn't have the hydor-flo I would point it to the front slightly upwards.

Agreed. I have a Hydor-Flo on my tank, but I think my pump is killing it because it'll stop working randomly, and I'll have JUST cleaned and taken it apart 2 days earlier. =/ My flow is probably too much for it. I also have my Koralia pump I have in my 30g tank pointed slightly upwards and towards the opposing corner (pump is in front left, and pointing at the rear right corner).

my clown seems to swim in a usual spot, sometimes venturing off but around 1 spot.

This just sounds like what clowns often do. Sounds like he is "hosting" that spot of the tank.

I have the y split loc line that came with the ap24... one is pointed towards the surface the other is pointed at the front glass

mine shoots towards the top to create a lot of surface agitation, then hits the middle of the front glass to spin off in all sorts of random directions around the tank. hth

ALittleSalty

I built a spray bar out of 1/4" pvc pipe with holes drilled every 1/2". The bar is pointed slightly upwards and creates some nice surface agitation as well as providing flow all through the tank. Jon

• 13 years later...
Micro-Reefs Aquariums

I wanted to awake this thread from way back into 2007.  I want to get your opinion to the orientation you give your return pumps nozzle, up to hit the surface or down to hit the sand bed?  What is your reason and have you seen a difference in what you wanted to obtain?  Can you also tell me the size of your aquarium and what other wave flows you have if any?

Thanks,

MG

• 6 months later...
Manny Moe & Jack
On 6/11/2007 at 1:08 AM, Franksie said:

I usually point mine at the porcelain it stops it splashing all over the place! :D

Sorry had to do it as soon as i read your question!!!

I'm reminded of a quote from the 70s show All in the Family.  Archie is chastising Michael for his night time bathroom habits.

"When water hits porcelain, it falls silent to the ear, but when water hits water it makes a noise the dead can hear!"

On 3/6/2021 at 10:26 AM, Micro-Reefs Aquariums said:

I wanted to awake this thread from way back into 2007.  I want to get your opinion to the orientation you give your return pumps nozzle, up to hit the surface or down to hit the sand bed?  What is your reason and have you seen a difference in what you wanted to obtain?  Can you also tell me the size of your aquarium and what other wave flows you have if any?

Thanks,

MG

i'm trying to figure mine out still.  But I have two Nero5's mounting on back wall, one on each side of the overflow column.  pointing slightly inward toward center.  The problem is, even with the colliding turbulence, it's still strong enough to blow all the sand away from the front edge of the display.  So that said, I won't point powerhead at sand, as it'd likely cause divots or bare bottom spots in direct flow.  I don't think too hard about surface agitation, as I don't care due to so many areas with "flow-over" within my setup to promote air exchange, along with just the general current/flow created by the two pumps. 

I'd point somewhere where, it doesn't blow sand around. and create as much randomized turbulence as possible (standing waves are cool to look at, but not sure how effective they are compared to random flows.  if possible, I'd try to use rock structure to break the flow up even more, which is something I plan to do to combat the too-much-flow-bare-bottom effect in my tank, whenever I get around to it.

oh, and the current tank is 24" x 24" x 16"tall, pic to show what I wrote above.  the neros have been pushed further toward corners and angled inward toward the center since this photo was taken....

• Like 1
NoOneLikesADryTang

I sure RFG’s on all of our tanks with return pumps, and after talking with Antonio (the owner of Vivid Creative Aquatics, who is luckily part of our local reefing group) they are all pointed out straight. He claims that going straight out creates the most flow, and random patterns. I’m not sure if that’d be the case with standard nozzles, however. 

• Like 1