Top Shelf Aquatics

10 G Nano New kid on the block

Joe Matrix

Joe Matrix

Yeah dude I get live rock from the ocean sometimes but what ever live rock I buy its been cured for a long time you got to remember this is florida theres a marine fish store on almost every corner so its not hard to get advice or quality coral and live rock. Its seems like all I have been getting is negative feed back but I cant understand why, my tank is doing good I do a 10 to 15% water change every week I live a couple of blocks from the beach so I get ocean water not that salt mix I guess thats why the coral does good because the water has natural suppliments in it not to forget food and such, but if your tank water quality is very good doesnt that mean its cycled I would love to get advice with out the sarcasium.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
wetworx101

If he messes up his fishtank, it's his problem, but I must say I am getting a little sick of all the flaming. I will go to sleep at night, every day, and if somebody wants to put piranhas and sharks in the same tank...I doesnt effect me enough to make me mad. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. Kinda applies to flamers, doesnt it? Flame all you want , it doesnt change anything that being kind would have better results with, and it wont raise your blood pressure either...

Now will somebody please get on with it and post some more pics of their nano?

Joe Matrix

To make people happy I just took out the anemones but left the sebae for the clown fish. I'm gonna head down to the pet store tommorow and get a tank for the mandarin. Are you guys happy now! I have 1 question dont the bio balls in the wet dry act like the bio wheel? Should I take them out? A little help would be nice. Should I leave the Cerlurpa? Help please..... Thats what I joined the site for.

Thanks,

Joe Matrix B)

OscarBeast

Sebae are rather difficult anemones to keep. In a new tank, it may not last long. If the color is accurate in your pictures it looks like it is bleached anyway and probably doomed from the beginning. The clown does not need an anemone and you tank will be better off without it. If I am not mistaken, sebae anemones will get way too big for your tank if it does manage to survive.

Live Rock will act as your "bio-wheel" without the buildup of nitrates that can sometimes result from artificial biological filtration.

Caulerpa is good as long as you keep it trimmed back regularly. If not, it can go "sexual" and pollute your tank.

wetworx101

You are correct in assuming the bio-balls do the same as the bio wheel...almost. Some people use them as breeding grounds for critters and coarse filtration more so than for their bio-filtration. (something bio-wheels cant do) Thats why many people have some of them in their sumps or fuges...and the nitrate they produce is thenabsorbed by the macro algae. IMO, I would use only a fraction of what is narmally recomended as far as tha balls are concerned, and then keep your macro, as it does the nirtrate removal. It can be difficult to achieve a balance between the two, and so many juat keep the macro in a fuge with 24/7 lighting.

I wouldnt say the bio-wheel is BAD per say, just realize that it will process waste so fast that you will have to do larger water changes to keep the nitrate in check.

This has to be a fake thread.

For the record:

I do not support the wild extraction of corals rock fish etc. from the ocean. Help and go aquacultured. Anyway you splice it you cannot go cheap on the reef hobby.

Secondly, this is a big no no and you will get caught:

"I could give good prices on French angels and Queen angels if anybodies interested."

ahhh!!! just came upon this post. you all need to chill out...... first off that myth about 90 pounds of lr for a mandarin is a load of B.S. sure they will decimate your pod population, but you can just purchase a turkey baster and shoot a few b shrimp over him if it gets real bad. i agree with abs on the anemones. sure they will outgrow the tank, but almost all anemones will outgrow most nanos and even some full size reefs.

ok now joe i'll help you out instead of flaming you.

im not sure if collecting from the ocean is illegal in your area, but if it isnt you should watch out as there can be bacteria on what you get that could decimate your nano. about the mandarin you can tell if its a male because it will have a long extension on its dorsal fin. a 10 gallon with only live rock wont really help, because he will wipe out the pods in the same ammount of time as the other 10 gallon. try to train him to eat live brine out of a feeding tube.

good luck.

p.s. not everyone on this board flames =p

Joe Matrix

Thanks Tow-UP & wetworks101 Finaly some positive info thats all I ask for. I checked the mandarin It does have a very long dorsal fin he's pretty big in size. I've had the sebae for about 8 months and its doing very good even after I placed it in my nano. I changed my rock formation around and took out the anemones. I checked the water quality nitrites are down to 0 so I did'nt bother checking the nitrate, the PH is @ 8.0, from what I hear is good. I'm going to go ahead and take out the bio wheel, until I purchase a hood so I could put some more light whats enough light from what I read 5 watts per gallon is fairly good but I see some of you have anywhere from 10-20 watts. What do you guys think? Oh and Tow-up I can sell you French angels for about 10 to 15 dollars a pice thats lower than wholesale. By the way Acustic I'm licensed to collect and sell saltwater fish and goods, But if it makes you feel any better I dont rape the reef I'm eco consious.

OscarBeast

If I remember correctly, all you need is a fishing license in Florida to collect rock, corals, and fish anyway... You are allowed to collect quite a bit of rock daily or weekly if I remember correctly. Fish are a little more restrictive. You can even collect certain corals in unrestricted areas. However if you happen to pick up a protected animal or get caught doing it in a protected area, it carries pretty heavy fines.

I dont rape the reef I'm eco consious.

Im sure your clowns are thinking the same thing now. :D

wetworx101

The fuzzy clam...Hah hah ha...

:x

The 'myth' you say about needing 90lbs LR per mandarin? Okay, Im giving the 'better safe than sorry' recomendation here. Yes, there are some ways around this. Some people keep fuges that can propigate thousands of pods a week. Sometimes LR isnt the best way to go about it either for measurement, but even less likely is the possibility that someone can get their mandarin to eat baby brine...and even at that, then you are stuck hatching fresh baby brine all the time. NOTE: the babies have some nutritional value, but the adults are pretty much worthless. And baby brine hardly compare to pods in nutritional value, so I wouldnt bet on basing a mandarins diet off of them. The mandarin in question here is in a nano, nowhere near big enough to sustain pods. There is no fuge. And the fish could die by the time it learns to accept brine. It would be a different story if he were trying to ween the fish in a larger tank, just in case, or had a fuge, or even a more established tank, but that isnt the case here, so Im going with the 90lbs of LR. Is it really a 'myth'? or is it not too far from the exact truth that some people always seem to want to debate?B)

Brooklyn Johnny

Here's the link regarding collection in Florida.

http://marinefisheries.org/recreational/re...charvestmls.htm

Quote...

Prohibited Species: All harvest is prohibited of the following species:

Live rock, Bahama starfish, longspine urchin, any sea fan of the species Gorgonia flabellum or of the species Gorgonia ventalina, any hard or stony coral (Order Scleractinia), any fire coral (Genus Millepora).

End quote...

Angelfish are legal with just a standard fishing license... up to 8 inches.

Check it out...

Johnny

mandarins can eat adult brine. and the fact that you say they are of no nutritional value is true, but that is what selecon and marine zoe is for. you say they wont accept brine? i havent found a mandarin that would not accept live brine. i too have a mandarin in a nano. he was pretty skinny when he was recieved but is now fat and healthy 2 weeks into the nano. i'll get pics of the fat sucker. im interested in the french angels, i will shoot you a pm when i get home.

Joe Matrix

Hey whats up I did so modifications to my tank. I got rid of the eclipse hood built conopy which now hold 3x32w PC's. Hooked up my wet dry and set up a fuge in my wet dry it looks pretty cool I hope it will work better. I have a protein skimmer in the wet dry, I have it running. I was wondering is that a good or bad thing? advice would be nice.

Thank,

Joe Matrix

wetworx101

You can look under my threads and you will prolly see alot of listings under fuges and DIY. I prefer the HOB variety since the goodies can flow into the main tank without going through the pump. But this is not a necessity. What were you thinking of??

Sump or HOB...and for what size tank?

Joe Matrix

Sump for a ten gallon tank it's already running what are your thoughts? Can you give me a site were I can purchase some good macro algea? And what algea do you recomended?

Tanks,

Joe Matrix

Joe Matrix

I have another question, 1 of my clowns took to my gorgonian and bothers it alot the thing swells up like a ballon but I rarely see the flowers anymore any suggestions?

gorganians have flowers? Do you mean the polyps? Cause yeah if it annoys the gorganian the polyps wont extend. You can try moving it when the lights are off so the clown gets confused and leaves it alone. might not work though... What did you do with the mandarin btw? And hey not being mean but I'm really curious. How did you keep a 55gal with anemones for 8-9 months and are so confused right now? Can I get the specs to the bigger reef please? And did you ever feed those anemones? And waht did you feed them?

Yes i agree with everyone on the mandrin, but as for overstocking any tank i sa #### on that. ###### he's got to clowns big woop i see you guys as a little anal retentive. As long as you have proper filtration your tank will be fine. Hes got more than enough rock and sand to filter that plus if he does have an eclipse its filtering even more. For example i have an African Cichlid tank that shouldn't happen i have 20+ fish in a 60 that has been running for 9 months with out even going through another cycle. Plus being moved 3 months ago. My bio-load should be off the chart butbut its not. i have more than adequate filtration. The tank is filtering itself 7.33 times an hour. With a 100 gallon filter. So imagine the live rock plus the live sand, plus the filter, plus the bio-wheel. the thingsin that tank producing the most ammonia is the clowns which he has 2 of them. So lay off the guy a little bit, give him a break. I commend him in hisefforts. But please please tae the mandrin bake unless you buy, or have a crazy refugium. Good Luck Joe

Thanks Matrix. I appreciate the fact that you are doing things the legal way. From my experience not very many people do.

chex, first off an african cichlid tank is far different from a reef tank. the reason africans are crowded into tanks is because of their aggressive behavior. they are very territorial, and if they cant establish a territory, then there will be little to no fighting. a reef tank is similar but it is also different. in a reef tank, you want to try to keep all your levels low and your water clean. you dotn want to cram a bunch of them into a little area, because they are not like africans and will still fight even if you have a grip of them in the same tank. and i believe that a nano can be run without those fancy 200 dollar filters. all you need is a few powerheads some live rock and sand. sure people use skimmer and fuges and what not, but they are not neccessary. to me the key to having a nice nano reef is to keep it as simple as possible. the more complicated you get the worse off it becomes in my experiences. and did you also know that ammonia is more toxic at higher ph levels? africans are usually kept at 7.1-7.4. but our reef tanks are usually around 8.3-8.4. that make ammonia that much more potent in our systems, and given that are systems are so small it can build up very quickly causing everything to die and your nano to crash. ok now on to your bio wheel and eclipse filtering. the bio wheel has been know to cause exces nitrates, which is not good in a reef tank. most reefers pull those things out. in my opinion, the eclipse filter although a nice idea sux giant ballz. and then the over filtering of your tank can remove valuable trace elements which corals use to grow multiply and or survive. lastly here goes on your last comment about the mandarin. mandarins dont require a fuge to stay fat and healthy. all you need to do is make sure he is eating. feed him once or twice a day with live brine. and then let him fill up on copepods if hes hungry through out the day. a fuge making enough pods for him to consume as his only food source would have to be pretty large. i dotn know anyone who has had a mandarin for a long period of time who doesnt supplement their mandarins food with other things. NOT just PODS.

Joe Matrix

This is for supernip, 55G spec's wet dry sump 4 watts to the gallon about 70 pounds of live rock 50 pounds of fine crushed coral curlerpa 100 turbo snail's about 150 assorted hermit crabs protein skimmer. Its still up and running but I havent been taking care of it like I should I'm getting ready to sell it. I feed the anemones a pice of bait shrimp 1 time a week I buy the bait shrimp because there a lot cheaper I get 100 for about 2 bucks.

Joe Matrix

The pumps I use in my sump are rather stonr for a 10 G is that good or bad? My main pums 652 G per Hour and my skimmer pumps 350 per hour. I'm cycling my tank about 60 times an hour is that to much?

Archived