Innovative Marine Aquariums

10 G Nano New kid on the block

Joe Matrix

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Joe Matrix

I have 2 Percula Clowns 1 Mandarin fish 1 open brain coral a chilly coral 3 anemones 1 leather I just put in need pics of 3 diferent Gorgonian colonies colt coral 1 mushroom lots of octo coral kerlurpa pulsing xenia 2 colonies of button polyps 1 moreal coral but I think thats not the proper name for it the coral the percula is hovering over in the second pic that looks like its receding cup coral lots of feather dusters about 15 turbo snails 20 assorted hermits 12 pound of live rock some florida some tonga branch 15 pounds of crushed coral sand 32 watt smart lamp retro 10,000k and 50/50 acentic thats all I can think of off the top.

Joe Matrix

It feeds on the parasites that live in the live rock. Thats all I see it eat. Do you know alot about the species? I want to know how to determin there gender? I've read that they have sucsessfuly breed mandarin fish. If you know anything please post.

3seabae+mandarin fish/ new tank= screwed.

No offense but your mandarin WILL die. you could try baby brine cause those "parasites" are pods, which are good for your tank. Good luck with 3 seabae in that tank too. man... you're brave for buying those 4 specimens.

wait are those bta? you're not so bad off after all but your tank is pretty overstocked. Please remove the mandarin...

alright since abs got so butthurt I owe you an apology. I'm sorry for flaming u etc etc. Your tank is too new for all you have in it and it doesnt look healthy. Here comes the technical stuff. 1) in two months, you've added a lot of stuff. Your bacteria might not have caught up with the load yet. hence, the bleached anemones. which by the way can expand really big and sting your other corals. They also tend to move a lot. Your mandarin is a really delicate fish and even the most advanced aquarist has trouble keeping them in tanks in excess of 50gals. They are almost impossible to keep as they rarely take prepared food. Mandarins also have a slim coat and if it dies, it will shed it and pollute ur tank. What is your maintenance regiment btw? and filtration? It looks like an eclipse to me. If so, please take out the biowheel and the carbon. Thats all I can think of right now

Keng Yew, Leong

overstocking = heavy bioload = poor water qualty = anemones death = tank wipeout = cruelty to animals

Where's Green Peace when we need them...?

Look, I know half of you should not EVEN be talking about somone else's tank.

He's new, everyone makes mistakes. Granted he may have gone a bit overboard, there is no need to break out the coffins and start burying him alive. Instead of *****ing and moaning, explain to him WHY he might want to rethink his tank. Give him pointers and tips or at least give him a link. Yes, we all are allowed opinions, but - make them count.

I see nothing wrong with 3 nemones in a 10. That is a bit much but if he is keeping up with water changes and making sure he is on top of his chemistry and they are healthy, WHATS WRONG? A mandarin in a 10 is fine as long as the food source is there and NOT exhausted. If it is, then he needs to find it a new home.

Joe Matrix-

You need to feed your anemones. Regularly. Weekly is the best schedule. If not that, bi weekly. You also need to make sure your mandarin has ENOUGH FOOD to live and thrive. If he does not, please reconsider keeping the fish. Research and information is available at the top of this page called -INFORMATION- . There are articles and other items in there that might be a good place for you to readup. Coming here, was a good choice to start. Now continue and you will be fine.

The rest of you - take a pill.

Good Luck and happy reefing!

harbingerofthefish

I'm not flaming you at all. A mandarin is a risky fish in a small tank just because it can hoover your pod population. And the fact that it very rarely if ever accepts prepared foods.

I think another tank with nothing but live sand and some rock might do you good, just so you can have a pod hatchery, and then transplant the pods into the tank with the mandarin.

wetworx101

Not a flame, but get that mandarin outa there!! It will not survive in a tank that small. It will 'hoover' your pod population, get skinny, and die. They need to be kept with 90lbs live rock per fish as a rule of thumb. The pods just wont keep up!! And that is their only food, unless you one of the few who are able to convince it to accept baby brine...

mantisshrimp

Doing really good,WTF are you smokin?The brain is receding,the big maroon coral is missing flesh,the mandarin's going to die,and the tank's too young for most of that stuff + you're way overstocked!I summed it all up for yah.

Joe Matrix

Yeah the open brain started receding when the anemones started touching it by the time I realized it was to late I tried to put it in my 55 G to see if I could revive it but my star fish ate it hey S**T happens but the mandarin I was thinking about geting it out and start another Ten G with just live rock for it I live in south florida 5 minute drive from the reef so finding food for the mandarin is quite easy I need to read up on the fish and find out what it likes to eat. As far as the maroon coral goes I bought the coral like thatthe front hits the glas when it fully extends so it stays closed in that section but those anemones i've had them for about 8 to 9 months now there all doing good I bought them for a pair of perc's I had that died from ick but the tank has been running strong for 2 months on just the eclipes hood bio wheel but I'm not realy stressing the water quality because nitrites are at 0 ammonia 0 and nitrate is very faint I cycle my tanks in 3 days using acquamarine nitrite eliminator that stuff is awsome. As far as it goes with suppliments I use kent micro-vert, coral accel, Phytoplex, strontium & molybdenum, Iodine,and calcium as dirrected. If the pump ever fails me I'm not worried I have a sealife 10-50 G wet-dry with a built in protein skimmer in my closet I'm just lazy to get it out and build a hood. As far as that goes maybe I'll take out the mandarin and put it in my big tank that tank has an endless food supply for it I havent feed my neon gobies or my Midas blennies ever and they have been alive for months its because of the florida live rock in the tank I guess and all the parasites in ther I rarely buy fish I just collect them my self(diver) I could give good prices on French angels and Queen angels if anybodies interested. But thats off the subject since you guys are all "experts" give me some Ideas on equipment to start off with and corals to start with. "Damn does my tank realy look that bad?"

Whoa hold on there partner. Did you say you cycled your tank in 3 days and started stocking all that in two months? How about your rocks, were they cured or taken straight from the ocean to your tank? I'm a little confused. And did I hear that you are still using the biowheel? Maybe you should get that wet/dry set up. What about water changes and tests, have you been doing those regularly as well?

Supernip-

My apologies to you. After reading his latest reply - FLAME AWAY!

Joe Matrix-

YOU SHOULD NOT be collecting fish. Instead you should be collecting soda cans from the side of the road. Keeping fish and not feeding them? Cycling a tank with chemicals? Adding suppliments you are NOT TESTING for? Clowns dying of ich?

Bag up all your stuff and take it back where you got it. Clean out your tank and put it away in the closet or sell it. You are not capable of keeping a reeftank in a proper way. Somone should take you outside and slap you around a bit. :)

YOU REALLY NEED TO READ! And sometime like NOW or very SOON.

Its almost as though, you want to be flamed, going by your last statement. You added specific details that said "FLAME ME". Hmmm. FLAMES AWAY!

Joe Matrix

What ever you you say buddy my tank is doing ok and do test every week before I do a water change and the other clowns died from ick in my big tank but were the only ones that have died and I do feed my other fish brine shrimp and flake food and as far as slaping me around i'll give you my address and I would like to see you try your ####ed because you have spent so much money on your tank and it is probably as good as mine quality wise this is for(absolutc). but I do collect live rock from the ocean sometimes whats so wrong about a bio wheel from what I have read its supposed to be good. How long does it take to know if your tank is ok? What should I set up a tank and leave it empty for a year before putting anything in it? Sometime I think you guys take this hobby a little bit to serious if it set up and nothing is dieing but on the contrary growing isnt that a good thing my xenias are spreading all over the place my button polyps are multipling the water quality is awsome whats the problem? Instead of giving me negative input I would like some positive input for a change. And my perculas died of ick while I was up north because my heater was busted and the water tempeture was changing rapidly but my wife didnt know what to do eccept feed the fish.

First and foremost, I can not stress the importance of proper punctuation. Add a few periods and or commas to your replies and they might come out better.

Jelous? By far. Maybe its the fact that we poses common sense? Probably. The fact that you are stressing points about your tank that are incorrect or cruel, is asking for what your getting now. Your tank is by far "nice" even saying its "ok" is a bit presumtious. Now, if you are willing to learn form YOUR MISTAKES and right the wrongs in your tank, I am sure everyone here will help you.

If you have no intentions to do so, might I suggest www.reefcentral.com ?

Truth = Hurt

Good Day.

Archived