ReefCleaners.org

Criticize me!

dasstheboss

dasstheboss

Here is a list of all my equipment and livestockfor my upcoming 75 Gallon reef; i just need you guys to tell the good, bad and the ugly.

Fish (added in this order):

2.Black and White Ocellaris Clownfish

2.True Percula Clownfish

1.Purple Firefish

3.Royal Gramma

4.Blue Hippo Tang

4. Yellow Tang

5.Green Mandarin ( add after 6 months and when i see pods on my tank glass)

Sand:

aragmax Sand 30lbs.

Seaflor Special Reef Sand 40lbs.

Live Rock (added in this order):

1. Fiji Premium Live Rock 45lbs.

2. Fiji Premium Live Rock 45lbs.

3. Tonga Branch Live Rock 22lbs.

All the listed above will be from liveaquaria.com

4. More live rock from lfs if necessary

Equipment:

Hydor Koralia 850gph Powerhead (2)

Two Directional U-Tubes

Rio 1400 420gph Pump (any comments?)

PS160 Odyssea Skimmer (willing to try it)

Azoo 300W Heater

48" Glass Canopy

30L Sump and Fuge

Lighting:

48" Aluminum Reflector with 2 Mogul Sockets built-in

175W Ballastwise MH Ballast (2)

175W Iwasaki 15000K Bulb (2)

420nm T-5 HO Bulb (2)

2x 54W T-5 HO Ballastwise Ballast

70W DIY Metal Halide w/ 6500K Bulb

All except the fuge light will be placed in a Sedona canopy with cooling fan running across the tank from one side ot the other.

Corals:

Bubble Coral

Pipe Organ

Stardust

Yellow Colony

Colt

Yellow Fiji Leather

Blue 'Shrooms

Frogspawn

Hairy 'Shroom

Hammer

Xenia

Cauliflower Colt

More to come... will be mostly lps and softies though.

Inverts:

CUC:

5x Mexican Turbo Snail

10x Scarlet Reef Hermit Crab

10x Nassarius Snail

5x Astrea Snail

10x Cerith Snail

5x Nerite Snail

10x Blue Leg Hermit Crab

Feather Duster (2)

Blood Fire Shrimp

Scarlet Skunk Cleaner (2)

All suggestions are welcome...

Also, here is my idea for the sump:

I want 12" on the sump sectioned off for Skimmer; a bubble trap; insert slots for various media pads such as phosphate, floss, etc. space for return pump; and the rest will be devoted to the fuge. If the fuge turns out too big, then i will add another chamber for live rock rubble.

dasstheboss

i want ot add just enough rock to suit my aquascaping needs, i can add the live rock first 90lbs. in two shipments and if i need more, then i can add the base. The base is mearly for aquascaping if i dont have enuf LR.

I am assuming you mean base as in dead rock... I call base rock the rock that has no neat shapes, just good for a base to stack more interesting peices.

I would also mix up the snails more. The more diverse the crowd the better!

dasstheboss

Im not mad or anything but how does the sump size effect anything? i thought it was just a place where you put stuff in to hide from display. I have heard people say that a sump should be 0.5-0.75 size of the display. I see that this is due an overflow scenario but if i place my returns and drains up high and fill my 20 with just a bit of water.. will it help?

Also, if thats not possible, could i go with a 30L sump?

This is all IMO but I would go for

Snails

10 nassarius vibex

20 margarita

10 turbo

10 Trochus

10 Certh

10 Nerite

2 Atlantic Sand Cucumber

Hermits

10 Baha Red Leg

10 Blue Leg

10 Scarlet Reef

dasstheboss
This is all IMO but I would go for

Snails

10 nassarius vibex

20 margarita

10 turbo

10 Trochus

10 Certh

10 Nerite

2 Atlantic Sand Cucumber

Hermits

10 Baha Red Leg

10 Blue Leg

10 Scarlet Reef

Wouldn't that be overkill since they might starve due to not enough algae/ food?

I was told that you should have 1-2 hermit per 10 lbs. of LR and 2 snails per 5G of water. I may be wrong but this is what i have been going by worked for me...

It wouldnt hurt to make the sump as large as possible as it will increase water volume.

You could use some more intense light over the fuge

I would change your bulb choice even if your only going to have mostly softies and LPS. XM 15k's are basically the worst bulb you can get. The XM 20k even has more PAR than the 15k.

Go to reeflighting.com. This is Sanjay's website ehere he has tested many light and ballast combos. It's very easy to use and with a little studying and time you can pick out the best bulb for your setup. Good luck.

dasstheboss

I like the clowns, they're my 2nd favorite after the mandarin. Sorry, but i cant get rid of them. I can maybe add anthias anyways instead of the jawfish but i will see if the bioload will be acceptable then.

Equipment:

Hydor Koralia 850gph Powerhead (2)

SCWD Device w/ two directional U-tubes

Rio 1400 420gph Pump (any comments?)

PS160 Odyssea Skimmer (willing to try it)

Azoo 300W Heater

48" Glass Canopy

20L Sump and Fuge

Lighting:

48" Aluminum Reflector with 2 Mogul Sockets built-in

175W Ballastwise MH Ballast (2)

175W Hamilton 14000K Bulb (2)

420nm T-5 HO Bulb (2)

2x 54W T-5 HO Ballastwise Ballast

24W CF for fuge

Don't waste your time with cheap RIO junk. You just end up getting shocked(i've had two melt down) Ditch the SCWD, and just plumb a real deal external like a panworld or genx or iwaki. You won't be sorry.

I've heard intersting reports of the Odyssea Skimmer working well after a few mods. It's worth a shot. If if doesn't work or the mods are pricey, you may as well just get a real skimmer(smallest ER, octopus, tunze 9005, etc).

If you're going to go through the trouble of using mogul bulbs why are you using any other then Iwasaki 15,000k? If you just need light for softies and lps, i'd stick with 150w HQIs. They're smaller and easier to deal with then the big honking moguls. If you stick with 175's why are screwing around with that? get 2xlumenarc III's, 2xiwasaki 15000k, and enjoy more light then most 250w can put out.

dasstheboss

Actually i thougt about getting the 150W Hqis but i thought they wouldn't be enough and hellolights said they would attach the mogul bases to the halides for no extra cost, so now i might reconsider, maybe the couple extra bucks might be worth it. Does a SE bulb produce more heat than a DE bulb?

Actually i thougt about getting the 150W Hqis but i thought they wouldn't be enough and hellolights said they would attach the mogul bases to the halides for no extra cost, so now i might reconsider, maybe the couple extra bucks might be worth it. Does a SE bulb produce more heat than a DE bulb?

SE bulbs and DE bulbs are pretty much identical. an SE bulb looks like a de bulb in a glass houseing with a screw in base.

get 150hqis over 175w, because they put out as much light in many cases.

unless you use a 175w iwasaki 15000k(which puts most 250w bulbs to shame).

I feel like the heat is not really an issue. Weird to say but yah thats what I believe. Stick a fan over it. For such a big tank a couple 150w isnt really going to heat it up much.

dasstheboss

So if i were to go 175W SE Iwasaki, would i be able to keep ANYthing?

The reason i like SE is because i heard they all have the same base so if i need ot upgrade, i just change the ballast, i dont gotta screw around with the canopy at all.

Another random thing: Whats the biggest tank i could have with two Halides? Its ok if there are some "dark" spots cus i can keep filter feeders or low light stuff there. Would a 72" be too long?

HecticDialectics
So if i were to go 175W SE Iwasaki, would i be able to keep ANYthing?

The 175W iwasakis are crazy bulbs. They're brighter than most 250W bulbs. Don't skimp out on the reflectors though. Crappy reflectors can turn a great bulb into an average or even sub-par bulb.

seahorsedreams

Margaritas are cold water snails.... I really have no idea why people sell them. Too many turbos... those snails get HUGE. You don't want them starving in there.

Sounds like it will be a pretty tank when you are all done. Skip the base rock. Buy a piece of LR from you LFS as you need it for fillers. Then you can pick out the shape that fits perfectly. I find baserock just loves to attract stuff like hair algae.

Helfrichs Chick

^ I like this chick. Were on the same page a lot of the time. No turbos, lol and no margs. Nas snails are killer for your sand, and astreas are great but acclimate slowly IME they seem to be very sensitive.

Why not go for diffrent LR??? I know you might want to save $$ but IMO rock is not the place. It WILL be your paint to paint a picture with so to speak. Get Kalini, Tonga AND some Figi. IMO Marshal Island and Tonga is the prettiest. I have also noticed tonga makes for a VERY natural scape when all said and done. I am self dubbing myself the scape queen. I just did my friends 240g and it came out KILLER!

Archived