Pod Your Reef

Oceanic Angles

varanus37

So here's a few pics of the new stuff. I couldn't get a decent shot of the watermelon. I'm going to scrape the glass before work today and try to get better shots tomorrow.

Palys.

CSC_0126.jpg

Freebie cloves from MrCoral.

CSC_0124.jpg

Faded Superman monti, but it was free.

CSC_0122.jpg

Teresa's green acans.

CSC_0128.jpg

I absolutely do not look forward to moving this tank again if we do get the new house. We're pretty excited about the house itself though and we're meeting our realtor tomorrow morning to make up an offer. I like this 'scape so I don't expect it to change much if/when we do move.

Bill

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My pico LED lamps have shipped from the GB with Evil!! Very excited to see these. They'll be for my .6 gallon pico and if all goes well this will be a project set up in my new house! We're in the contract process right now and have had good results thus far.

Bill

The LED lamps are here! Thanks Evil! They're very nice looking and quite powerful for their size. I'll get pics up and post some real feedback tomorrow.

Bill

Had the ultrasound today and we're having a boy! The tech put the due date Dec. 24th so that should be interesting.

Bill

Picked up a bunch of frags from Weetabix and placed a majority of them today. I swapped out the K2 for a second K3 to up the flow around my SPS pieces so some shifting of frags was in order. I also tried to clean up the sandbed by placing most of the frags that I've been dragging my feet about. The polyp corner now has a few new colors in the mix. The favia freebie from MrCoral ended up above the micro. The rest were scattered about. The purple micro that I got from BibleSue was moved down nearer to the clam since it's former home is now being blasted by the K3. I also had to move the Poci frag I got from ReefGardener becuase my green pavona is growing like mad and was just melting the polyps off of the poci. I'll try to get pics up soon of all of the moving about. I killed the daylight bulbs a bit ago and switched to just the actinics because I got a new fish! It's a small bluethroat trigger. Very excited about it, came from a friend in the reef club who works at one of the local LFS's. No aggression toward anyone at this point and my fish are acting like he's not even there so that could be a good sign. Firefish are out and about and the clowns are chasing each other, normal day in my tank.

On a side note, my sandbed is still super full. Anyone interested in my larger plate coral? I'd say it's 4-5" across when fully expanded during the day. I have 2 and really think that I only need 1 because of the amount of floor space I have taken up by LR. I'm a big fan of fungiids so I thought about moving out my green/teal echino and maybe my green funk palys from Mvite to make some room for the big guy but we'll see. Maybe I'll hit up the trade thread in the classifieds.

Bill

This guy is definitely a digger. He's been blowing sand around in the caves and holes of my 'scape all morning. You should see the PE on the coral as they try and catch it all! Very neat to watch. My skimmer is cranking overtime as well. Glad to see it's pulling out whatever isn't eaten. The water actually clears up fairly quickly between his spouts so that's good.

Bill

I swear I'm working on it, LOL. This guy has been keeping to himself though and doesn't seem intent on changing his ways anytime soon. We'll see what happens.

Bill

How's my babies looking today?

I'm glad that you didn't see more die-off than you did after USPS took an extra day to deliver the package.

Things do look better. The 2 montis that we thought wouldn't make it didn't make it but everything else has PE and at least a fighting chance. That green digi actually didn't even lose color, LoL. Still nice and green and furry with polyps.

Bill

27000+ views!

I really think that's pretty kewl.

As if you couldn't tell since I make a special post every 1000, :P .

Bill

We put an offer in on a house and they accepted the very same day! Put down our earnest money yesterday and the home inspection is tomorrow! Moving will be a pain as always but Teresa and I are excited. Already bought the book of colors and patterns in the paint dept. at Menards, LoL.

Bill

Thanks. As usual I will take this move as a reason to rearrange my 'scape and the position of my pumps and endlessly badger my wife on whether or not she thinks it looks good, LoL. I think that's what worries her most about the move. I tinker with my tanks all of the time and it only gets worse when we move them and I have a chance to really make big changes and play with the placement of the rocks.

Bill

My wife would absolutely kill me, LoL. For now I'll stick with improving my 'scape and plumbing while I move. I may get a bigger sump/fuge now that I'll have access to the back of the stand. More water volume plus I'll be able to make better partitions if I start on it now and have it ready to just drop into the stand by the time we move.

Bill

We passed the home inspection with only a few things to be touched up or worked on. Nothing I can't do myself given some time and we knew that. The original house was built in 1883 and then added on to so you've got to figure some things will need work, LoL. I've got to work for a bit this afternoon but I plan to take a good bunch of pictures when I get home so I'll have something to reference when I move. I'll post them tonight when I'm done.

Bill

Things are moving along with the house. Sorry about the lack of pics recently. Working lots of OT and planning for the move so not alot of time for anything else. Update on the trigger is that he's doing well. Still no signs of aggression other than the usual clown bickering and my 2 shrimp are alive and well. The trigger is out quite a bit now but still runs when the girls come screaming past, LoL. He does seem to know that I mean food so he'll stay out for me and occasionally Teresa. The aips are nearly gone and I still see nudis every now and then. I'm working on catching them for distribution through my reef club. Haven't seen any babies yet but hopefully soon.

So when we move it looks like I might have the tank in a corner of the living room with more of a peninsular thing going on. The back will be to the wall and the right side of the tank will be to another wall. We're looking at a wraparound couch for the opposite corner that will end with a lounge seat running the length of the long pane of the tank. There's a door coming into the living room and the left pane of the tank would be right there as you come through. My plan is to make things viewable from these 2 sides. It will probably get a little weird with the flow because I run Koralias right now. Hard to keep those hidden or in just one side of the tank and have effective flow throughout. We'll see what I come up with. I see lots of tinkering in my future.

Bill

Time for some pictures.

Zoas and encrusting monti with a blurry acro.

CSC_0287.jpg

A recovering Superman Monti from a friend.

CSC_0289.jpg

Favia from MrCoral.

CSC_0291.jpg

The micro is looking good. Heads are spreading down the cuts.

CSC_0293.jpg

My former monti crumbs forming a tiny plate structure.

CSC_0295.jpg

Zoas from MrCoral.

CSC_0300.jpg

New mouth!

CSC_0302.jpg

I like putting montis in oddball positions like this. Makes for neat growth with the plate structures.

DSC_0303.jpg

Not bad on the PE either.

CSC_0304.jpg

Acan from Weetie.

CSC_0308.jpg

Plating fungia.

CSC_0310.jpg

Acans from a friend in the reef club. These glow green like crazy under straight actinic.

CSC_0312.jpg

NG polyp sprouted a baby.

CSC_0314.jpg

Awesome colors on the banded coral shrimp.

CSC_0318.jpg

Cleaner hanging out.

CSC_0320.jpg

My new guy.

CSC_0332.jpg

CSC_0333.jpg

The meat coral. A bit irritated by the flow at the moment.

DSC_0296.jpg

My plates stepping on each other.

DSC_0297.jpg

Clown nesting away.

DSC_0298.jpg

Leather huddled in the corner. Great PE on this one.

DSC_0321.jpg

The anthelia rock was dropped down a hole in the back and they're spreading like weeds.

DSC_0323.jpg

The Grandis Palys are growing and sprouting heads even better than when we lived in GA. Not sure what the change has been but they are doing really well.

DSC_0322.jpg

So that's what I've snapped so far. No FTS this go-round. We should be closing the 28th and I'm thinking about taking pics as we move the tank and set up at the new house. Should be a chore but will also help me to remember how things were situated and what they liked so I can build my peninsula and place everyone.

Bill

Archived