Coral Vue Hydros

What Is My New Fish?

melloyellow

melloyellow

well i saw this fish and he was cute so i got him he's not supposed to get big but they told me he was supposed to be a rhino blenny...i looked up some pics and he dosn't look like the ones i saw???

any ideas what he is?

That looks like a pikeblenny (Chaenopsis sp.). But why would you by a fish without knowing its care requirements? That was irresponsible. Do some research on chaenopsis or pikeblenny in google or something, and hope you find a way to properly care for it.

DeskJockey

I believe that is a pipe fish of some kind, sorry Im not very familiar with them......On a side note I would not go out buying fish without knowing what they are. It can be bad for you, your corals, and the poor little guy.

In this case if it is a pipe fish he may only eat live food so that in itself would be a reason to not get it if you cant provide it with what it needs to survive and they are often best left by them selves, that means no big fish or shrimp.

Sorry not trying to be an a$$, just trying to point out the consequences of impulsive buying.

melloyellow

i didn't ask for a lecture just an ID the fish was marked as a rhino blenny i could care for that... but when i looked at the pics on line i found around 5 diff pics all saying that they were rhino's... so you can all either help me to take the proper care of this fish or you can keep lecturing and not help the fish at all...

melloyellow

it is a brand new tank, no corals, just live rock and an emerald crab. And it isn't a pipe fish, have one already.

you are welcome.

sorry, but we could not help giving advice when we see a clearly irresponsible act. Good luck with your blenny

(man, I am going to miss Dave ESPI on this one...)

melloyellow

i don't know why you said "your welcome" i don't remember thanking you...?

you shouldn't take what people say to be face value all the time do you think i actually went into the store saying "im going to buy the cutest fish in the whole store, yay for me" i dont know every single little fish in the world nor do i have the time to so, i sometimes have to trust the guys at my LFS most of the time they are right but once in a while they get mixed up, but you must not ever get anything wrong because you have the right to jump down peoples necks at the slightest hint of being new or not knowing everything about salt water tanks. must be nice...

now i know why alot of new people to this hobby are turned away from this page they just want answers not rants...

OH, that's right. If you knew it was a pikeblenny, why the hell did you ask? I answered your question correctly, and then you act like an @ss. And can't you tell a rant from a piece of advice? You obviously stink like a newbie. You'll find here tons of good advice that can make you quite successful, but with that ungrateful and stupid attitude, you are not going to get very far my friend.

melloyellow

all I asked for was help ID'ing the fish, there was no need for a long drawn out lecture on ethics.

"When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child, but when I became a man, I put away childish things."

Listen.. we're not trying to bash you, but just use some common sense.. if an alien were to buy you at a store, and thought you were fed through your a$$, wouldn't it be a PITA? Just realize that these are living creatures to, and deserve to be treated accordingly. If you don't know how to care for it, see if the LFS will hold it for you while you do more research on it, then let them know if you want it or not... It's hard enough to keep a marine tank, even harder when you have a creature that you didn't realize wouldn't be compatible or you don't have the experience to care for...

As a note on pipefish - as per LiveAquaria: "It is difficult to keep in an aquarium and should be kept with other pipefish and seahorses in a separate, species-only tank that is 50 gallons or larger. It will not harm ornamental invertebrates in a reef setting. DO NOT HOUSE with invertebrates with stinging tentacles (most corals and anemones), since they can harm it."

Just a heads up.. nothing more..

I have to take a side with Melloyellow a little because I went out to JEFFS EXOTIC FISH and was looking for a watchman Goby which I DID do my studies on and purchased him. As I was looking at some other little guys I came across the most beautiful fish. I asked the dealer if these guys are easy to maintain in a small reef tank with the watchman Goby and the only thing out of his mouth is SURE. So went ahead and bought the little guy just to find out the Manderine Goby is the WORST fish to get for a small reef aquarium!!!! So its not always the consumers fault but I guess that just shows that you have to do the research before you impulse buy.

melloyellow

ok, so is this getting any of us anywhere?? no...

i have found some info on my new fish, which is in a tank all by itself so it can't hurt anything else or something can't hurt it, he is eating, and happily living in his tube.

i thought i was buying a rhino blenny, at least, that is what i was told, i did some research on what fish would be good in my tank and the name rhino came up (no pic's on the pages i looked at but it said the were fine) so when i saw this fish labled as a rhino blenny and the guy at the lfs confirmed it, i was sold, i don't know what else i could have done, but i am happy with my new fish and as i said he seems happy too.

i hope you all have good luck with your efforts and your tanks, but i am very sad to say that i don't think i will not ever come back to this web page for information...so, i think thats all i have to say

goodbye, goodluck,

shelly

Deadlykorean

You sound like you are 5 years old. With a comment like "well i saw this fish and he was cute so i got him" there are only so many things that people can assume about you.

well there's a surprise... if you can't take the bad with the good you'll get no where in life..

personally, I've never been able to research something and not find a picture of it.. but then, I'm a Master Zen of Search Engines

don't take this one experience as an example of the entire site.. but you get what you get when you title something "What is my new fish".. it leads people to believe, possibly incorrectly, that it was an impulse buy.. that's all

Best of luck.. we all hope the tank turns out well!

Some of you seem like you need another hobby other then waiting online to jump on people who are new to the hobby. We were all new at one point, and after all, this is the "Identification" forum. MellowYellow just needed a straight forward reply. Obviously he/she cared enough about the welfare of the fish to post a thread here and be bashed just because she is new!

I just think people should get their thumbs out of their "godly" a$$es and remember the day they might have made a mistake with the addition of a fish or ect.. Lighten up and take a walk outside! Get away from the computer and do a water change!

Yup, we most certainly have all made mistakes and had experiences.. which is why we are here.. to hopefully help someone from making the same mistake from our experience if possible.. but if people think we're bashing them because of that, then you've got bigger problems..

As for lightening up... just because these are fish and corals, do they deserve any less respect then say a dog or cat?

I demand equality for all pets.. pawed, finned and feathered! heh heh...

Besides.. you haven't seen bashing and flaming.. there've been MUCH worse... heh heh

You are right, but to be there to educate is a whole lot different then acting like your crap doesn't stink. I'm not pointing fingers and such but When one lectures another looking down upon them, thats just plain rude. It seems a lot of online forums end up turning into some of the member's lives. It should be for education on a board like this. Not because someone has to much free time.

Basically, if you are against new people to the hobby, DON'T check out the identification forum. If no one ever buys a fish they thought was something else, why would this Identification thread would not exist. I just seems people get rude on these things to boost their own ego

The people who should get the speech on proper care of their corals, fish, and Inverts are usually the ones who don't frequent a forum looking for advice or to gain knowledge

Why is there an Ident forum? Because there's more to reef tanks then just fish... much much more...

No one attacked anyone here.. but the reason it got some individuals hairs tweaked is because, in the original post, it was never stated that they had done any prior research, nor that the LFS gave them wrong info - just a simple "i saw this fish and he was cute so i got him"... it leads one, VERY EASILY, to believe that there was no prior planning involved in the purchase... there was a lack of critical details that invoked the responses, not a hatred for new individuals to the hobby.. people to quickly jump to that conclusion without realizing they are to blame somewhat for the responses they received...

ajroahkni

Melloyellow: Not at all "meeelllllllooooowwwww" - maybe "Overlysensitiveyellow" would have been a better name.

---

Which leads us to "Deadly Korean" - probably the sweetest, huggable, charitable, peaceful Korean person on this planet.

:P

Sorry, back to work now...

Archived