ReefCleaners.org

Eclipse 3 Nano-reef Feasibility

gerwerken

gerwerken

The fish that are currently in me Eclipse 3 (3 gallon tank) are getting too big for it, so I am upgrading their tank. I have been thinking about using this tank for a nano reef, but I'm not sure if it will be more trouble then it is worth. Here are my issues;

1) The lighting - The built in lighting will of course be inadquate, but what can I put in it's place. I would like to just pop in some higher wattage full spectrum bulbs, but I'm not sure what will fit, and whether the new lighting will be too hot. I've seen bookworm lights as a soultion, but they really reduce the already tight access to the tank. Does anyone have any other options? I would like to keep soft lower light corals. What wattage should I use in such a small tank? Any brands perferred?

2) Heater - With the current lighting the tank stays at about 80 degrees during the day, and only drops to about 77 degrees F at night. I am afraid that with more wattage I would cook anything in the tank even without a heater. (This is a newer tank. I haven't had it in winter yet, but this temp pattern is consistent to about 50 degrees F outside).

3) The filtration - I am planning to keep the built in filter in place for water movement. I have seen that a lot of people have taken out their filter media. Should I do that as well? If so, is there any problem with debris in the tank? I am planning to do the biological filtration with live rock and live sand.

4) Power Head - I am assuming that the current filter will not move the water enough and that I will need a power head. Has anyone had any luck fitting one into this tank? If so how? Also, how big should the power head be? I don't want too much flow.

I think that is it. Please correct me if I have forgotten anything, esp if it is potentially a major issue. This would be my first reef tank, and I would like to do it with as little retro fitting as possible. I would also like to do it as simply as possible (generally that means there is less to go wrong). If this is going to be more trouble then it is worth, then please tell me.

Thanks!

I have an eclipse 3 thats been setup for about 2 months. I haven't stocked it yet but I hope I can answer a few questions.

1) I use a bookworm light that is not permanently mounted and takes only 2 seconds to remove. It came with a 6500K bulb and I'll replace with 50/50 10000K/03 before I get corals.

2) Take the removeable plastic cover off of the back of the lid, where the hole is for wires to come out. This will let more air circulate, but not so much as to increase evaporation. I use a 25w heater and temp. only fluctuates between 80.1 and 80.6, lights on or off.

3) I keep the HOT filter empty and occasionaly use the cartrige if I stir up stuff in the tank when I'm cleaning.

4) No power head yet. I'll eventually get a small one. Someone posted a thread on these ones (can't remember the name) that were really tiny and were low voltage with an AC adapter.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/sho...&threadid=10650

ocellaris

Welcome gerweken,

I'm currently running a 3 gallon eclipse as well. Here's what I use and that might be of use to you:

Heating: I use a 50w tronic which has kept the temp stable at 79 on or off. It does help that this particular tank is in my office.

Lighting: The standard 6w is in there now, but I plan to upgrade to one 13w bookworm with the Hellolights 50/50. I'll supplement with another if the above is not enough.

Water Movement: I currently use the built in eclipse, but if you've ever taken the water level down a couple inches, you'll find that there's only a trickle coming out. I'd rather use the space for another bookworm. I'm planning to get some mini or microjet powerheads from Aquarium Pharmceuticals. The micros are just 1.5x1.5x1.5 inches in size! They pump up to about 70-80 gph.

Hope this is of some value to you.

-ML

ocellaris

We should stay in contact and share our progression and experiences. There aren't too many 3g eclipse nanos out there, but I think it would be great to share information. Kind of like that brother/sisterhood of 7g Minibow owners.

Just a thought....

gerwerken

Well the tank is still on the drawing boards at the moment, but the more nanos I see, the more I want to start one. I would like to keep in touch though - although I will probably be more of a taker then a giver in discussion for a while.

It looks like the bookworms are the way to go so I will probably end up going that route as well. Thank you for the info on the mini pumps, I am about to go look them up right now.

Everyone here is so helpful!

I definately agree with ocellaris that we should stay in contact. I'm going to start stocking my tank in about a month and will post pics as the tank progresses. Also, see my post in DIY about my RGB moonlights. I'm going to post more pics of that too.

ocellaris

Looks like this could be the start of something good!

gerwerken, don't worry about the give and take. I for one don't keep track. The real reason why I come to this site is to share what I know and learn what I need to. It's the spirit of nano-reef.com... besides, I get as much if not more enjoyment out of reading about the progress someone's made on their nano vs. getting an answer to my questions.

PS - Since I've already taken this thread off the track, I might as well add some notes as to how mine is going. Well... I added two peppermint shrimp and yellow clown goby last night. I have been sitting here in the office for about four hours now. Finally my goby has decided to get off his butt and go after some of the freeze dried brine shrimp I three in there. One more thing, one of my peppermints molted last not too. I love nanos!

-ML

Me too, me too!

I also have a Three Gallon Eclipse. I would definitely recommend two book worms (paper direct). I currently have a Mini Might from corallife (2x9 watt) to which I will add 1 bookworm 50/50. I think that even three bookworms would be best. I have xenia, Euphyilla(sp)(frogspawn), and Toadstool just under the 18watts. I supplement the lighting with a bit of filtered morning sun. I have to scrape algea twice a week though(a credit card on the acrylic works great). I actually have two powerheads 1x304 zoo med and 1x104 zoo med. These are placed in the corner pointing in a 90 degree angle from each other. What is nice is that the 304 has a place for carbon and media filtration. I use the carbon for a few days out of each month to polish the water. I do notice increased algea during that time, though. All this required just removing HOB filter and existing light, which is rather easy. I also have 3lbs of live rock and 3lbs of Live Sand which is just as important as any equipment, IMO.

gerwerken, I hope this answers your question, that yes a 3 gallon can make an incredible Nano. I think that it is a bit challanging to keep it stable, but once that is overcome they are great.

And I just got two Bookworms today. One will be traded for Zoo Frags, the other to add another 13 watts to the Three gallon!! I am thinking about throwing out the 2x9 and have 3 Book Worms. 1 10000k, 1 Actinic 03, and 1 50/50. With that Light you could grow almost anything. I just love the Tiny Size and the Hood that make the whol set up look clean. Once you remove the existing light it leaves a nice little vent hole where the light button was.

ocellaris

Jahkaya,

Spurred by your aquisition of the bookworms, I went online @ 200am this morning and ordered 4 bookworms from Paperdirect and 4 -13w 50/50's from Hellolights. (2 bookworms for each of my eclipse system 3s)

"The journey of a thousand steps begins with power compact lighting"

-ML

ocellaris:

I Popped in the standard 6500k 13watt that came with the bookworms and what a difference 13 watt's makes. the whole tank is much brighter and my xenia especially thanked me for it. It was a tight fit, but it worked. When money permits I will go with a 50/50, or maybe just a 10000k.

gustavo1999

I have a 3 Eclipse and I want to go Nano Reef!!!

I would appreciate some suggestions for setting up with live sand rock ,cycling times etc.

Gustavo:

Welcome to the Super Nano world!! The Eclipse is great, but does need an overhaul. Lose the lighting and the HOB Biowheel.

If I had to start from scratch I Would first suggest Three Book worms(2 minimum). They are easy, mostly water proof and Cheap. Bulb color is your preference Some like more blue others more white. They come with 6500k and though 10000k is better 6500k will do. You can get 50/50's for the additional bulbs or Actinics, or any combination thereof. Both spectrums are needed however.

I would probably have gone with 2 x 104 Zoo med power heads. I just happened to have a 304 (Has a filter) and the 104 was given to me. When these are placed in different directions, it make for a nice flow. Add a 25- 50 watt heater if your water temps drop below 76 at night.

2-3 LBS of Live Sand (no Crushed coral, I have 2lbs of LS and a pound of crushed coral, too lazy to sift) Start with 3 1lb pieces of LR and maybe some rubble. Remeber, alot of livestock is attached to LR. It is best to get LS/LR from as many different sources as possible to create good bio-diversity.

Make some (RO/DI) water from your favorite salt mix and throw it in the tank. Turn the powerheads on. Then put in your live sand and rock in, turn on the light and wait. Test weekly for Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates and when you have readings of 0, 0 and less than 10PPM (Usually in about 3-6 weeks: Live rock IS fun to watch and this is the time to read, read, read) do a Shizload of research and add corals and inverts slowly. Patience is Key. I had fun with just my two Blue Leg hermits for two weeks. It is not that difficult, It is just important to Test your water quality and gather as much info as possible. ENJOY!

gustavo1999

Thanks for the run down Jahkaya! I took your suggestions and ordered (2) bookworm lights, (2) 50/50 bulbs and (2) zoo med 104 powerheads two days ago.

Question, what is the most cost effective way to obtain/make RO/DI water for my 3 gallon assuming a weekly water top off?

I am wondering if I can avoid purchasing an RO filter. However, if its unavoidable can you recommend an affordable good quality model?

Thanks in advance.

The Most cost effective for a three gallon is to buy bottled water. Once you have the inital water set up, you will only need about two gallons a month. One gallon for water changes, one gallon for top off. That should more than be suffcient, unless you have excessive evaporation. RO systems would probably start to be worthwhile on a 20 gallon or more. They are very convenient, but are only necessary when you can no longer, or don't want to, carry your own water.

• 3 weeks later...
gustavo1999

My new 3 gal Eclipse is cycling as of Saturday May 24. Thanks Jahkaya for your useful advice. My two new red-legged hermit crabs are doing well so far. Now I just have to start planning what other creatures to add a few weeks from now. Thanks again.

You may even thrown in another pound of rock. I also might recommend that you throw the powerheads up top if you do not like the look of them. I try my best to hide them with live rock.

gustavo1999

I added a Bluefin Damselfish this weekend and its doing well.

The tank is cycling normally. The ammonia levels are about 3 ppm. Since I have the hood on most of the time, I have experienced very little evaporation.

The temperature hovers between 80F and 76F. I will probably buy a heater in a few months. Can you recommend a fully automatic model that I can just set and never have to think about?

I am contemplating adding another pound of LR of these days.

Whoaaa!! 3PPM. It is usually not good to cycle a tank with livestock. Try using Live rock next time. Your Damsel is not a happy camper right now, and he will be aggressive to anything else you put in there. He will probably be too big for a 3 gallon as well. See if you can't give him to an established tank and when your cycle is done look into gobies that stay smaller than 2". A neon Goby is a good choice. I actually do not plan on putting a fish in my 3 gallon. It makes for too much maintenence to have good water quality. But I will get some Sexy Shrimp as soon as I can find them less than $10.

Hello all,

I used to have a freshwater Eclipse 3, but a recent snorkeling trip to Mexico turned me on to the beauty of reefs and saltwater fish. After much reading on the net and the awesome threads on this forum, I decided to take the plunge and start my own nano reef in my Eclipse 3.

I cleaned out the tank last night and will be taking a trip to the LFS to get all the supplies I need. Here's what's on my list.

1. Instant ocean salt mix

2. 3 lb of LR

3. 2 lb of LS

4. powerhead

5. sg meter

6. various test kits

7. thermometer (broke my old one)

My plan is to use distilled water for the salt mix and mix it right in the tank using a powerhead for about a day. Then I will place the LR and LS in the tank and let it cycle.

I didn't include a heater in my shopping list because the tank has sustained a steady 79º - 80ºC when I had it with freshwater fish.

Okay, so once cycled, what should be my next steps? I'd like to introduce some button polyp soft corals, some ivertebrates and finally a fish or two. Obviously I'll do this in stages making sure that the water is okay before adding anything new to the tank.

Does that sound right?

As you can tell, I'm very excited about this! I'll try to post some pictures as I go along.

gustavo1999

Jahkaya,

My actual reading was 0.5 to 1.0 ppm (not 3ppm) of ammonia.

I am using 4 lbs. of cured live rock.

The damselfish was an impulse buy. I pretty much knew I should not introduce a fish at this point in the tank's life cycle. If the water quality continues to decline over the next two weeks, I will try to trade it.

• 2 weeks later...
gustavo1999

Hello,

I have a tank that is about 1 month old. (see specs below)

I took these readings with lights on at 12pm. Water temp was 80F.

ph=7.8

ammonia=.25ppm

nitrites=0ppm

nitrates=0ppm

alk=180ppm

salinity=1.023

Question: How can I raise the ph ?

Archived