inTank Media Baskets

Cyanobacteria

Nitro Joe

HogWinslow

Freak,

Will adding this freshwater maracyn hurt anything in the tank? Right now all I have is live rock and sand. No corals yet. Tank has only been up three weeks and I got the slime already. I want to get rid of it before I add corals.

Hog

Freak,

If you only have lr and sand ... don't sweat the cyano. It's part of the cycling process that everyone goes through and most people get by. Once your nutrient levels start dropping, it'll go away ... and probably fairly quickly if you aren't adding food to the tank. Hell, you could probably nuke it just by turning off your lights and / or covering your tank in a quilt. Once your ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels are 0, add some snails (amount and variety dependant on your tank specs) to nuke the upcoming hair algae plague. Hmmm ... and maybe add some pretty-looking macro algae (I'm partial to the red ones, myself).

And, since someone else is likely to say it ... don't add corals until your tank has been stable for a few months. There's nothing worse than losing livestock.

freakaccident

Hog,

It wouldn't hurt anything but it isnt fixing the problem either. It will get rid of the cyano but maybe not forever. ALthough you may never see it again. Did you start your tank with tap water?

HogWinslow

I started the tank with R/O water.

I was told the live rock is Figi and was cured. Now I'm starting to get some hair algae on it along with some red plat looking things. Some of the coraline algae is bleaching but I understand that's normal and it will come back. I'm worried that I should have tried to get better rock. There was no critters with this rock at all. I used bagged live sand so I have no animals in the rock or sand. Is this something I should worry about? Is there anyway to fix the no critter problem?

Hog

Excessive nutrients cause cyano. I have seen a massive colony develop from a piece of uneaten pellet food.

Siphoning it out is the best way to control them, besides not overfeeding. Fortunately, it siphons out very easily. I vacuum it out during every waterchange.

The only thing that eats that stuff is fighting conchs.

Black mollies eat cyano. They don't actually like it but they will eat it. They are brakish water but some people keep them in reef tanks.

I had a serious problem with Chemi-Clean... let me just say it worked wonderfully.. absolutely... but to well.. it killed the Cyano so quickly, I had so much die off in the tank it nearly crashed it... if you have a ton of it, get your skimmer and water changes ready...

Another FWIW ...

As an experiment ... I've been replacing some of the chunkier crushed coral aragonite with fine aragonite sand in one part of my tank while feeding my tank normally over the last week. That side = clean and sparkling white. Side with the CC can have its cyano sucked out every day and it'll still come back.

CC seems to catch uneaten food / detritus and "hide" it from detritivores; sand (my best guess) seems to keep it on the surface where critters can more easily reach it. Apparently, I'm not the only one to have noticed this ... many people have found the same thing at ReefCentral.

Archived