Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Cyano

roxy25

Do you have pics because The dinos do the same thing. That you are stating, lights out it disappears lights on it back.

Do you run any time of media to remove phosphates ?

Well after much reading on both cyano and dinos . Cyanos is pretty easy to get rid of have you tried freshwater maracyn ? or red slime remover?

I tried like every chemical and nothing ( that’s is another reason I have concluded its dinos)

As for the 606 pump pm you addy I totally forgot I can send it out this weekend . I am about to get some maxi jets from a friend so I won’t be using it LMK

My cyano is a deep brick red, and totally different from the dinos which is a carmely brown color, and almost looks like snot, lol! The cyano just looks like a mat. My dinos doesn't dissapear over night, but my cyano does. From what I've read, it doesn't sound like dinos is much affected by light, unless it's the photosythetic type.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Read my post earlier in the thread matt. and clean your glass. its filthy. :D

Hey, a little coralline on the glad never hurt anybody. ;) The area that's getting cyano in my tank doesn't have enough flow through it if any. =/ But I'll go back up and re-read...

Hey, a little coralline on the glad never hurt anybody. ;) The area that's getting cyano in my tank doesn't have enough flow through it if any. =/ But I'll go back up and re-read...

im my short experience, waterflow isn't always the culprit.

I went from 30 to 100x turn over, and it didn't make a dent in my cyno....

raising the kh, water changes, and MORE blue coral feedings did though....

My cyano is a deep brick red, and totally different from the dinos which is a carmely brown color, and almost looks like snot, lol! The cyano just looks like a mat. My dinos doesn't dissapear over night, but my cyano does. From what I've read, it doesn't sound like dinos is much affected by light, unless it's the photosythetic type.

Well there are different types of dinos you can’t solely identify them by color My dinos are rust red color lol

I must have the photosynthetic type.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
DESERTHEATRACING
100% yes they will come back, maybe even worse, since your probally going to have a tiny cycle again. JMO.

Just gotta fight these things, takes a while but they eventually fizzle themselves out. GL

My last outbreak was mind bending, could not figure it out to save my life! Well turned out a snail had kicked the bucket and was just out of visual range, Once he was gone and some water changes later, bam all was good... In short are 100% of your livestock accounted for..?

So THAT'S your secret, ehh?? :happy:

There is not secret It was just that stupid arrowhead distilled water we where both using LMAO.

There is not secret It was just that stupid arrowhead distilled water we where both using LMAO.

haha, I thought the Arrowhead was good water though??

haha, I thought the Arrowhead was good water though??

yeah .... right heheh I tested it for P04 and it was present. Each batch of water is inconsitant

when I first bought the water it was ok but I started to notice more and more algae and the po4 levels got higher.

yeah .... right heheh I tested it for P04 and it was present. Each batch of water is inconsitant

when I first bought the water it was ok but I started to notice more and more algae and the po4 levels got higher.

Ahh sounds like they started getting their water from Sparklettes, ehh? ;)

crap! I have this same stuff..it's gonna drive me to drink..it just showed up one day..i did transfer from a 29g to a 40B...also i upgraded from PC to T5's..my PH was low tho 7.8 i am raising it slowly to see if this helps..I will post pics of my brown crap..i thought it was diatoms until I read more..it does disappear at night and then back in the AM as the lights stay on it spreads

Ahh sounds like they started getting their water from Sparklettes, ehh? ;)

what ever it was , I fixed it with ro/di

i just still do not understand why you still have cyano , matt do you run carbon ? try that it should help

what ever it was , I fixed it with ro/di

i just still do not understand why you still have cyano , matt do you run carbon ? try that it should help

I run Chemi-Pure Elite... Has GFO in it along with the regular Chemi-Pure... =/

Checked my water with TDS meter and RO water is 3ppm and DI water is 5ppm. Have to try my RO/DI filter again, Live on well water and it didnt seem like the RO/DI filter was working well with use it.

TAP WATER. OMGWTFLOL.

n00b! (What a moron)

No one was using tap water?

You must be dumb and blind !

Please keep your stupid a$$ comments to your self , your assumptions are making you like an A$$ every time you post something.

feel free to Pm me any time ! I am tired of correcting you on the boards, at least this way you will not be embarrassed.

GOD I would hate to have EXPLOSIVE diarrhea of the mouth like you do ! :o

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

i have to bump this thread. in the past month i've ran into the dreaded dinos. i've went from bi weekly to weekly water changes. my trates and both my phosphate tests say 0. i did a lights out for 2 days and have reduced my feedings. it went away after the lights out for 2 days but then as soon as the lights came back on it came back. every time i do a water change i take my turkey baster and try and blow it all away or bury but but it always comes back. its becoming a pain because it keeps trying to grow on my galaxea. will removing it all with a gravel vac and a 100% water change do the trick. should i try a phosphate remover even though my phosphates read zero. it makes the tank so ugly and is really driving me insane. if it will help i'll post pics but i'm positive its dino's. i have an aquaclear 30 and a penguin 1140 with a hydor head on it. i run an aquaclear thats been converted into a fuge and i have a prizm skimmer. save the hate i know it sucks. and i have a 150 watt coralife hang on. the tanks a 16 bow. i have 2 ocellaris clowns ones about 2" and the others 1" and a yellow watchman thats about 2". 2 shrimp 2 snells and 4 hermit crabs. 16lbs of live rock and about a 3" sandbed.

yup, that's dinos

it will not go away with the methods you described - a phosphate remover won't help either - if you have another tank you can move the inhabitants to and then throw away all your LR, soak all equipment in vinegar for 24 hrs or more - basically disinfect the whole tank, that's probably the surest way to get rid of it.

another method is to raise the alk to about 16 dKH, but you have to keep it there for a long time to make sure you kill it all off, so you still should move your inhabitants to another tank.

I've also read that a pond product called Algaefix will kill it but again - I would move all inhabitants to be safe.

I've been fighting it with a bacteria driven system (zeovit) and I have to say the results are pretty good so far. It's still there but greatly reduced and seems to be taking longer and longer to come back. When I increase my water changes to 20% 2x's a week, it pretty much never has a chance to come back, so I'm planning to do that for the next few months and see what happens. Worst case scenario I'm prepared to tear it all down throw away the rocks, transfer the fish/corals, leave it in the dark and just let it die from starvation.

I used to have it in my old AP12 tank and only got rid of it after moving to a bigger 30g tank with NEW L/R in it... Dinos is for sure next to impossible to get rid of... :( I was able to keep it under control however...

The Propagator
Checked my water with TDS meter and RO water is 3ppm and DI water is 5ppm. Have to try my RO/DI filter again, Live on well water and it didnt seem like the RO/DI filter was working well with use it.

Check your tap water with your TDS meter. You may not even need an RODI.

I don't. :)

I think the real problem lies with in the tank its self and not your source water.

Often we take steps to correct what we thing is the problem and then take what we perceive as preventative steps with our reef tanks which in turn only turn around and bite us in the azz by stunting something else and creating HIGH TDS in our tanks and not the source water.

To many additives, to much food, over use of carbon, chemi pure or purigen, Lights need changes or less cycle? All will also create hella algae problems.

I haven't read the entire thread so I will assume you have already checked for silica, phosphates, ph, nitrates, nitrites, and heavy metals as well as cut down on your light cycle?

If you have and all is good stop using Chemi pure and carbon for a week.

They can leach it back, or over strip if used to often.

Also check your flow patterns specifically since your getting cyano algae.

Its often "fed" by constant direct flow, or stagnant movement.

Change any filter floss you have or rinse it out well under the sink.

Clean your filters, pumps, and returns and intakes. It can spread from there easily.

Hope this helps you out some.

:)

yup, that's dinos

it will not go away with the methods you described - a phosphate remover won't help either - if you have another tank you can move the inhabitants to and then throw away all your LR, soak all equipment in vinegar for 24 hrs or more - basically disinfect the whole tank, that's probably the surest way to get rid of it.

another method is to raise the alk to about 16 dKH, but you have to keep it there for a long time to make sure you kill it all off, so you still should move your inhabitants to another tank.

I've also read that a pond product called Algaefix will kill it but again - I would move all inhabitants to be safe.

I've been fighting it with a bacteria driven system (zeovit) and I have to say the results are pretty good so far. It's still there but greatly reduced and seems to be taking longer and longer to come back. When I increase my water changes to 20% 2x's a week, it pretty much never has a chance to come back, so I'm planning to do that for the next few months and see what happens. Worst case scenario I'm prepared to tear it all down throw away the rocks, transfer the fish/corals, leave it in the dark and just let it die from starvation.

i was thinking about this. removing all the inhabitants and just having lights out for a as long as it takes for it all to die. but really i guess what i need to know is where does it come from. how do we get it. etc. also the idea of a new start doesn't sound bad. it seems like with every tank i set up i think of something i should have done or want to do next time. things would be easier if i didnt have a woman reminding me constantly of what i spend on my tank. i do have one question thats not related and that is with the 2 tanks i've had in my time my liverock always winds up turning green with algea. is this just from my light cycle being to long off the bat. it did take me a couple months to get a timer and my light cycle most commonly was about 12 hrs a day. thankyou all for your quick responses and help.

Archived