Cultivated Reef

New 75G Predator Tank Project

snommisbor

crazinezz978

see if you can make two separate islands with the rock so they arent touching the glass. This way, you can have open room in the middle and the tang could also be able to swin around the rocks.

Added my first fish. A Foxface Lo Rabbitfish. and 10 Mexican Turbo Snails. Will get pictures once the Foxface comes out and I turn the lights on. Maybe this evening.

Got my first fish. A Foxface Lo Rabbitfish. Eating good and as you can see already nipping at algea. I also got 10 Turbo snails and this morning my first casualty. One of my hermits just loved the look of that zebra striped shell so as you can see he is looking rather fly while the poor little snail was sucked up to the PH.

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

New family has been added:

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

1.jpg

Cheap way to have a pair

5.jpg

Its funny the bravest fish is the Maroon who is the smallest he is just all over the tank checking everything out. He will probably be "The Don" of this tank. The Kole is a little better but skiddish some. Hippo is hiding in top left corner and the biggest wuss who has had the tank to himself for the last week is the Foxface.

Now I want to add one more fish but not sure what. I move some mushrooms over to this tank because my MH was just too much for them, so I probably am going to add some more easy corals to this tank well see. Which may pose some problems with what I choose. Still may go with a Lion, or Puffer. If I did a Trigger it would have to be a Niger. But I decided I really wanted the cleanup crew because

1. They are fun to watch and add to the ocean enviroment we try to recreate.

2. They Clean Up. My turbos are keeping my Powerheads looking brand new, and the rock is really looking good.

Nice fishees...

Just a note...I would at least add enough LR on one side to make a good hiding area for the Tangs so If they get spooked...they can retread to help keep their stress down IMO.

Very nice additions...

Izzue

Here is a FTS and some closer details of my Rock Work.

Room

DSC_0009.jpg

FTS

DSC_0002.jpg

Left Side and Back view (You can see the FF in the cave, and Kole in the back view in the bottom left corner

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

Right Side and Back View

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

avalanche1201

looking good. I'll be following this thread for some fish ideas for my future 55 FOWLR.

if you dont mind my asking...how much did the PC's cost? Ive got a strip light and I can get a few more of them for free...but I think the PC's will bring out more color

looking good. I'll be following this thread for some fish ideas for my future 55 FOWLR.

if you dont mind my asking...how much did the PC's cost? Ive got a strip light and I can get a few more of them for free...but I think the PC's will bring out more color

Current USA Dual PC Satellite. Dual Daylight 6,700k/10,000k : 2 x 65 watt

Dual Actinic 420nm/460nm : 2 x 65 watt and 2 lunar LED's

$245.00 from LFS. You can get them online as well but after shipping, you don't save anything so I give my LFS business plus I get it then.

mr.fishman01

what do you have hooked up to the UV sterilizer? could you post some more pics on the UV?

Thanks

Oh yeah i like the fish too.

crazinezz978

nice trigger, seems like its gonna be a nice tank.

How did you add the fish? order? time?

I have my own little 55 gallon fowlr, ill be following this one.

id get a sump and a HOB over flow, and then an insump skimmer, tank looks good, but would look alot better without all the equipment in the display and by adding a bigger mag drive pump with a SCWD you wont need the maxi jets in your display just my opinion nice although, pretty trigger

snommisbor
what do you have hooked up to the UV sterilizer? could you post some more pics on the UV?

Thanks

Oh yeah i like the fish too.

I have a Rio 1400 sitting in the back right corner under some rock with clear tubing going out the back to the UV. Out back to the left top of tank with a hang on spout. Real easy to do. Just get 5/8 tubing and slide them on, it is a tight fit so no need to use clamps. Here is my pic of underneath. Still need to hang it.

DSC_0048.jpg

nice trigger, seems like its gonna be a nice tank.

How did you add the fish? order? time?

I have my own little 55 gallon fowlr, ill be following this one.

Added Foxface First but would have added Maroon Clown first if they had one at the time. Then about a week later I added the Clown and 2 Tangs. Then I added the Trgger about a week later. I took him out already I think he was too big and didnt seem happy so now I am debating on what to put in there. I think odd number of fish look much better than even. So I want 5 in there. I started adding some Leathers and Mushrooms because I realized I do like having some constant movement even when the fish are in their caves. I also got a Starfish and it is all over the tank very cool. I will get some updated pics soon.

id get a sump and a HOB over flow, and then an insump skimmer, tank looks good, but would look alot better without all the equipment in the display and by adding a bigger mag drive pump with a SCWD you wont need the maxi jets in your display just my opinion nice although, pretty trigger

Funny you said that because I was at the LFS this past weekend looking at that type of setup. Probably wont do it right away but maybe this summer.

if you want to add a puffer, i'd go with a spiny box puffer. they look a lot like porcupines but their spines stand erect all the time, plus they only get 10-12 inches long instead of 18-24 so they can live permanently in your tank. they are also pretty passive and shouldn't bother your CUC.

tank looks good so far :)

snommisbor
if you want to add a puffer, i'd go with a spiny box puffer. they look a lot like porcupines but their spines stand erect all the time, plus they only get 10-12 inches long instead of 18-24 so they can live permanently in your tank. they are also pretty passive and shouldn't bother your CUC.

tank looks good so far :)

I have thought about those. I love that type of puffer because they have such great facial expressions. Where the Valentini or Saddle look like they ate a lemon.

How are they with Softies, Shrooms, and Leathers in your experience?

mr.fishman01
I have a Rio 1400 sitting in the back right corner under some rock with clear tubing going out the back to the UV. Out back to the left top of tank with a hang on spout. Real easy to do. Just get 5/8 tubing and slide them on, it is a tight fit so no need to use clamps. Here is my pic of underneath. Still need to hang it.

Oh i didnt know if the Uv had a pump or something with it. thanks for answering.

I have thought about those. I love that type of puffer because they have such great facial expressions. Where the Valentini or Saddle look like they ate a lemon.

How are they with Softies, Shrooms, and Leathers in your experience?

from what i've heard from customers and research, they don't bother shrooms or polyps, and i doubt they would bother leathers because of their noxious slime they can produce when ###ed off. they'd definitely be more reef safe than just about any trigger you can think of, especially if purchased small (most of the ones i've had come through my store have been 2.5-4") and fed well.

snommisbor

OK I got me my predator that is reef safe and he is Bad A$$. A Volitan Lionfish. I took pictures of him but I couldnt upload until tomorrow. He will swim slow and methodical and will sit on the rock at one of the cave openings just waiting for something to swim out. He was eating frozen at the LFS so I had to get him. Only fish I am really worried about is my Maroon Clown because he is still small so hopefully the Circle of Life wont happen while he is growing to. But if it does I hope I am there to see it. I will keep him well fed to prevent that. I will get some pics up of him this weekend. Just from the short time I have had him I must say Lions are Cool! They just have a swagger about them in the way they swim. Adds a nice contrast to the Tangs and Rabbits style of swimming. The Clown has his own type of swimming.

snommisbor

Well he ate my GS Clown. I really am digging the violence of this fish and thinking of making this tank a "Ambush Tank" with a Angler and a Scorpionfish to go with my Lion then just put some feeders maybe even a Damsel occasionally and watch the massacre. Woo Hoo! Plus I can still keep some corals in this tank.

Well he ate my GS Clown. I really am digging the violence of this fish and thinking of making this tank a "Ambush Tank" with a Angler and a Scorpionfish to go with my Lion then just put some feeders maybe even a Damsel occasionally and watch the massacre. Woo Hoo! Plus I can still keep some corals in this tank.

whatever you add in addition to the angler make sure it's at least twice the angler's adult size... those things eat ANYTHING.

snommisbor

Well I went to the LFS to get a replacement for the Clown and they had this:

DSC_0026-1.jpg

I had always wanted a Large Angel when I saw this Koran I snatched him up. Here are some more pics plus a few of the corals I have added. Hopefully he will play nice with these corals.

DSC_0029.jpg

DSC_0024-1.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0032-1.jpg

This should do me on the fish now just continue adding some softies to thicken the rockscape up.

nice :). i wouldn't worry about the koran picking on softies, he'll be just fine. although he will get BIG (about 24"x10") and rather aggressive towards other fish.

Archived