Coral Vue Hydros

New 75G Predator Tank Project

snommisbor

Well after having my 12 Gallon Nano Cube for two years I decided to jump in and go big. Going to start a 75 Gal FOWLR. I plan on doing a predator tank but there are a few fish I want that wont do well. I may start out predator then once they become too big just trade in for something else. My plan now is to do

1 Maroon Clown

1 Blue Tang

1 Yellow Tang

1 Dog face Puffer

1 Porcipine Puffer

1 Dwarf Lion or 1 Picasso Trigger

Not sure which way on the last two I guess it just depends when it comes time to add which one I get, well see. Or maybe I will stop before adding all we will see depends on how water does.

What I have is a 75 Gal with 2 Emporer 400 Bio wheels, 2 1200 Maxi Jets PH on each end. 80 lbs of LR and 60 lbs of Live sand black and white. I have the 48 inch Current PC 4x65 Dual Daylight 6,700k/10,000k : 2 x 65 watt and Dual Actinic 420nm/460nm : 2 x 65 watt plus 2 lunars built in.

What I plan on getting is the AquaC Remora/Remora Pro Protein Skimmer with the 1200 maxi Jet rated to 75 gal. I may go with the one rated to 120. Has anyone used either of these. I have read good reviews on them. I also will get the Coralife Turbo-Twist Ultraviolet Sterilizers. My guy at the LFS swears by this setup and it is what they have in the store which is a 150 reef and he has a 300G reef at his house with the same setup. I like it because it is easier to setup and I think less is more.

I am running with this system 1390 GPH with the 2 Bio wheels and the 2 Maxi Jets. Once I add the protein skimmer and UV Sterilizer I have know idea but I know I have good water circulation.

Anyway here are some pics of the setup so far. Had 4 crabs hitchhike on the LR and they are doing fine. The rock was already cured so I will probably start adding in about 7 to 10 days we will see.

post-15095-1175898692_thumb.jpg post-15095-1175898661_thumb.jpg post-15095-1175898718_thumb.jpg post-15095-1175898747_thumb.jpg

crazinezz978

my dogface really bothered my tang, so i had to actually trade in my tang.

Also, i would definetely recommend a lunare wrasse replacing one of your fish. They are amazing and vERY hardy. I had an australian lunare, there more rare, but look amazing.

Cant wait for this thing to be stocked!!

Snom

That tank looks great in that room...very nice!!!

Did you build the stand???

Either way it looks great...Keep us posted on the fishee additions.

Izzue

Snom

That tank looks great in that room...very nice!!!

Did you build the stand???

Either way it looks great...Keep us posted on the fishee additions.

Izzue

No it came with the tank. I could have gotten a canopy but I figure if I go all out reef later then the PC's will go and I will get MH's and the canopy would go to so why waste my money

crazinezz978

why MH, if your doing a FOWLR? would be a pain in the arse to keep it algae free since the puffers will probably eat any snails.

why MH, if your doing a FOWLR? would be a pain in the arse to keep it algae free since the puffers will probably eat any snails.

If I turn it to a reef tank then the puffers will go along with all other non reef friendly fish. But if the predator tank turns out nice then I will keep the PC. I still have my nano reef.

mr.fishman01

hey keep us updated on this, im thinking about doing kind of the same thing. Your not worried about the filtration considering your going to get a dogface? Ive heard they are messy eaters.

keep us updated.

Thanks

alec

tagging along doing a 90 FOWLR predator untill i save for better lights/calcium reactor, but im going with triggers, love the tank and stand though :]

Noone locally carries the AquaC Remora Hang On Skimmer. Think I am going to order from MarineDepot. I can get my UV Sterilizer locally. Like to try and give the locals some business.

Tested water

Amonia .25

Nitrite starting to show up

Hopefully my tank will be finished by next weekend.

Crabs are still alive and eating.

Tagging along. A few questions:

Why PC lights instead of just basic strip lights if there won't be any corals?

Why no background?

mr.fishman01

so will the filtration be enough to hold the waste load?

If i did this i wouldnt be able to afford some of the more big and expensive things. unless i got a deal on it.

Tagging along. A few questions:

Why PC lights instead of just basic strip lights if there won't be any corals?

Why no background?

I think PC's will make the fish look better. I forgot about adding the background. I plan on doing a black background.

so will the filtration be enough to hold the waste load?

If i did this i wouldnt be able to afford some of the more big and expensive things. unless i got a deal on it.

Well I have 2 Emperor 400 BioWheel Filters and each is rated to handle an 80 gallon tank. Add the protien skimmer and a UV Sterilizer and I should be able to hold the waste load.

If you did what? Not sure I understand what you mean on that. But the Bio Wheels where only 75 bucks each. You can get them even cheaper online but I like to give the LFS business. Heck the most expensive stuff was the LR and LS and Water.

mr.fishman01
If you did what? Not sure I understand what you mean on that. But the Bio Wheels where only 75 bucks each. You can get them even cheaper online but I like to give the LFS business. Heck the most expensive stuff was the LR and LS and Water.

Yeah the LR and LS is the most but some filtration is too.

Im thinking about doing the kind of the same tank as you but different fish except the puffer, but i have read articles that they are very messy fish.

Oceanic 30g

If you have bioload issue, you could add a wetdry and load it with floss, pads and chemipure. i had a 58 gall rr oceanic with a yellow tang, huma trigger and a dogface puffer and never had any issues at all.

Starting to get some algae on the rocks so I left the lights off to help curb that. Ammonia is at .50

I dont remember how long it takes for the nitrite to kick in to get rid of the ammonia havent cycled a tank in a few years. Hopefully it will be done this weekend but we will wait and see. I plan on putting the UV Sterilizer in and the Protien Skimmer. Will post photos once I get them and have them installed.

Well, with the Tangs being herbivores I don't think algae will be much of a problem, but yes I also think MH for a FOWLR is a bit of overkill.

Got my Protein Skimmer and UV Sterilizer put in last night. Left my camera at my office so I will take some pics tonight.

HAd to go with the SeaClone 150 because the remora was too big to fit on the back with my 2 emperor 400's. Have read average reviews on the SeaClone but I also decided that I am going to go with a more peaceful tank. Butterflys, Tangs, Angles, Clowns. Plus I really enjoy watching the Cleanup crew adds to the realism of the ocean we are trying to recreate. You cant have those with predators.

Got my Protein Skimmer and UV Sterilizer put in last night. Left my camera at my office so I will take some pics tonight.

HAd to go with the SeaClone 150 because the remora was too big to fit on the back with my 2 emperor 400's. Have read average reviews on the SeaClone but I also decided that I am going to go with a more peaceful tank. Butterflys, Tangs, Angles, Clowns. Plus I really enjoy watching the Cleanup crew adds to the realism of the ocean we are trying to recreate. You cant have those with predators.

post-15095-1176331360_thumb.jpg post-15095-1176331384_thumb.jpg post-15095-1176331412_thumb.jpg

Need some opinions:

First being I am doing a FOWLR is it better to keep the amount of LR I have which is 80 lbs or could I add more. I would like to add some to hide some of the equipment.

My other idea would be to stack the rock in each corner a little higher and leave the middle open. My reason is I could hide some of the pumps and also you dont see that kind of configuration, but is that in theory making the tank smaller which would be bad for a tang.

Archived