Coral Vue Hydros

SPS Picos!

Uhuru

Anyone here with an SPS pico-reef? If so please share some photos. I'm looking to be inspired :D

dont get too inspired.... why the hell would someone (in the right mind ofcourse) make a <5 gallon SPS with 150+ MH (WASTED electricity on a small tank) that is plumbed into a 10+ gallon sump? whats the point of only having 3-4 SPS frags? lol

bad idea, i mean i understand picos that are softies / zoos, lps, but SPS? need good water quality and flow, and good light, why waste it on a <5 gallon tank?

picos are a COMPLETE waste, if they are plumbed into a bigger sump. BUt if they have a hang on fuge , nothing else connected, and heater and everything in the fuge (whisper 10 or watever) its okay.

i never understood the point of having a 3 gallon tank plumbed into a 10 gallon.

i never understood the point of having a 3 gallon tank plumbed into a 10 gallon.

I didn't ask to see picos with huge sumps. I asked to see SPS picos. And why do it? Well 15 years ago when I set up my first 30 gallon reef people were saying the same thing. A while back someone on this forum said you couldn't keep a clam in a pico. Mine's been doing pretty well.

Anyone here with an SPS pico-reef? If so please share some photos. I'm looking to be inspired :D

Here is my pico with sps and a clam :D (waste of electricity)

2w7l94z.jpg

This 5.5g tank is not mine, it belongs to a local pet store but I thought that I would share a pic of it. It looks even better in person.

2006_1205Image00032028Medium29.jpg

coral_addict
I was there last week and the tang was out.

Did they connect that 5.5Tank to their main Sump or something? Looks very healthy and they do have 3 fishes too! Can't think of how they did it unless they share water with a larger volume.

Did they connect that 5.5Tank to their main Sump or something? Looks very healthy and they do have 3 fishes too! Can't think of how they did it unless they share water with a larger volume.

They have a small fuge under the main display

holy ###### that is beautiful. thank you, just what I was looking for...

Haha, no problem. Can't wait to see that CAD tank SPS'd out!

Derby Reefer

HOLY MOTHER OF ######!! that is anice looking 5.5g. That pic will be saved in the the "Reef Picture" Folder for later.

Amazing 5.5 tank. The kind of thing we dream of.

Question though on the lower right. Aren't the clam and surrounding corals in danger of the hammer corals sweeper tentacles?

dont get too inspired.... why the hell would someone (in the right mind ofcourse) make a <5 gallon SPS with 150+ MH (WASTED electricity on a small tank) that is plumbed into a 10+ gallon sump? whats the point of only having 3-4 SPS frags? lol

bad idea, i mean i understand picos that are softies / zoos, lps, but SPS? need good water quality and flow, and good light, why waste it on a <5 gallon tank?

picos are a COMPLETE waste, if they are plumbed into a bigger sump. BUt if they have a hang on fuge , nothing else connected, and heater and everything in the fuge (whisper 10 or watever) its okay.

Alright, its not a waste and you don't need 150 watts to grow sps. I started my pico (which is also my first sw tank) back in october and have been slowly upgrading it. Its growing about 10 different sps now. There's no sump, 70 watts of mh 20k, a skimmer, and some chemical filtration in the form of phosphate resin and charcoal. I am fortunate to live right near the pacific and get my sea water for free. Weekly water changes and dose w/ a kalk gravity ato, mag, and iodine for the inverts and softies.

I gotta find some pics of it when I can find my camera, but my old thread is here. And remember, giant oak trees and junipers are impressive, but a bonsai creating the illusion is even more so.

check out Hoobahas's 5.5g sps tank in the members showcase. Very nice!

He only says that because he made the stand ;) (Best stand I ever did see, however)

I saw the tank at aquatropics (the one that jimi thing linked) and I think that it has gone down hill... The owner owns a few businesses and has apparently not had time to keep it up. That tank-and a lot of stuff in the store-are all his. Something happened to his tank and he gave them all the stuff to hold onto (I actually have some of his rock in my 5.5). I saw the 5.5 in its heyday, however, and it was glorious. It has a 5 gallon fuge, if I remember correctly, underneath with a 400 gph return through two nozzles. It really was beautiful. I saw a pic of it before going to the store, and when I got there I couldn't believe how small it was! From the pics I was sure it was a 20g, at least.

Archived