SaltCritters.com

My 5.5g AGA setup (pics)

sjm1978

how do you have your lights mounted... if you have the reflector directly in contact with the wood hood you should try to put a little distance between them, maybe try some washers between the wood and the reflector... that should allow air flow above the reflector and should cool it down

yea i have it directly on the wood ill get some washers so it will have a gap for airflow.

ok the tank is now cycled took 6 days. i also ordered smartpaq 32w 10,000k/460nm bulb should be here in a few days then i need to install the fans in the canopy. then ill start running the lights and once brown diatom cycle hits ill add a cleanup crew to keep it in check. once the diatom cycles is over ill start adding corals.

heres my test results

date: 4/09/07 cycle started

salinity 1.025

ph 8.2

ammonia 0.25

nitrite 0.25

nitrate 0

calcium 430

date: 4/10/07

salinity 1.025

ph 8.2

ammonia 0.25

nitrite 0.50

nitrate <5

calcium 430

date: 4/14/07 cycle finshed

salinity 1.025

ph 8.2

ammonia 0

nitrite 0

nitrate 0

calcium 430

ok i recived my smartpak 32w 10,000k/460nm bulb yesturday the tank looks really nice with it. today i drilled a hole in the canopy to install one 80mm fan i have two but im testing it with one fan and its doing really good. i have it pulling air out and the bulb are not even getting hot now. if i endup needing the second fan ill drill a hole in the otherside of the canopy and install it but sofar one seems to be good enough. im now running the lights and as soon as the brown diatoms come im gonna add a clenup crew.

S4010051Small.jpg

S4010052Small.jpg

the fan is on in the pic

S4010055Small.jpg

both of my tanks i might buy another stand like my aquapods stand its a lee-mar stand ill buy the lee-mar aquapod 12g stand for the 5.5g tank. the 5.5g had actinic on only in the pic thats why it looks so blue.

S4010058Small.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

just a quick update its starting to get diatoms i put a cleanup crew in.

i also drilled the otherside of the canopy and installed a second fan to keep the lights even cooler i have both fans pulling air out of the canopy. i topoff once a day with 2cups of ro/di so evap isnt bad at all. the temp stays between 79.5 to 80.1

Diskusting

I have a similar setup but my temp jumps way more then that, may be that I dont have fans on lights.

I have a similar setup but my temp jumps way more then that, may be that I dont have fans on lights.

when i tested the lights without fans my temp went from 80.1 to 81.0 in like 1 hour. so i think the fans help alot without them i know temp would go way high.

Archived