SaltCritters.com

My 5.5g AGA setup (pics)

sjm1978

ok i was gonna go with a JBJ 3g picotope or a 2.5g aga tank. but if i went with the JBJ 3g picotope i would need to upgrade the light and filter..

so i decided im gonna go with a 5.5g AGA tank instead and all i will need to buy is a aquaclear filter. i have my orignal hood from my 24g aquapod that contains 2 ballasts 2 32w pc bulbs 2 blue moonlights so thats a total of 64w. im thinking of using that for the 5.5g tank. the ballasts support 32w and 40w bulbs so i can either just use the stock 32w bulbs and have a total of 64w or just use one ballast and put a 50/50 32w or 40w bulb. i would like to have both 32w bulbs so i can have a dawn to dusk effect. the lights bulbs and endcaps are 13" long so there a perfect length for the 5.5g tank witch is 16"w. im gonna buy the tank today or sunday

do you guys think that 64w would be to much for a 5.5g tank? i will build a canopy to house the lights and put 2x 80mm fans in the canopy for cooling. i dont think ill build a stand because i allready have something for the tank to sit on but i might endup making a stand also.

heres a pic of the lighting i have from my stock hood i can also cut the reflector to size and use it also.

S4010141Small.jpg

yea i think it would be nice. i have 150w hqi on my 24g ap and most of the corals that will go in the 5.5g tank will be frags that come from my 24g tank. so i think they will be ok in the 5.5g tank with 64w.

ok i got my tank today it cost $11.99 tomorrow i am gonna go get the filter and buy wood to build the canopy.

S4010003Small.jpg

ok i got most of the canopy made today. all i need to do is get some corner molding from my friend to put on it and then ill primer it and paint it black and install the hinges for the lid. then i need to cut the reflector to size and install the lights and 2 fans into the canopy. then ill get my sand and lr and start the cycle. i was gonna build a small 3" base for the bottom of the tank so it would match the canopy but ill do it some other time. the canopy sits a total of 6" from the tank but the whole canopy is 7" tall. i also still need to paint the back glass on the tank. blue or black what you guys think?

heres some pics

S4010004Small.jpg

S4010005Small.jpg

S4010007Small.jpg

S4010009Small.jpg

S4010011Small.jpg

ok today i cut the reflector and found a spot on the back of the canopy to mount the 3 light switches that will control daylight/actinc/moonlights. i test fitted the lights in the canopy and then i primmered the canopy. i will give it a lite sanding tomorrow and paint it tomorrow. i should have the tank up and cycling on saturday.

injuries that happened to me from this DIY canopy sofar are:

1.yestuday i was carring my compound mitter saw to a spot so i can use it to cut the wood for the canopy and i slipped on a piece of wood flooring that was on the garage floor. i didnt fall but i didnt want to drop the saw and saved it from falling to the floor and it twisted my right arm. so now my arm is sore.

2. today i was cutting the reflector and i cut the top of my thumb on the new edge of the reflector.

you guys can laugh if you like

well heres some pics

the switches

S4010015Small.jpg

the lights test fit

S4010016Small.jpg

primmered canopy

S4010017Small.jpg

S4010018Small-1.jpg

ok i got the canopy painted today. i started out using roll on grate black paint and it looked purplish. so i let that dry then i put a few coats of gloss black spray paint it looks good now. im letting the paint bake in the hot arizona sun rightnow then ill bring the canopy in later tonight it should be nice and dry.

heres some pics

S4010020Small.jpg

S4010021Small.jpg

i also still need to paint the back glass on the tank. blue or black what you guys think?

Black to match the Stand/Canopy.

looks good... make sure you seal the inside so it doesnt warp... happened to my buddy over his 90g... needless to say he wasnt happy

looks good... make sure you seal the inside so it doesnt warp... happened to my buddy over his 90g... needless to say he wasnt happy

i put 4 coats of primmer inside and out of the entire canopy and 2 coats of roll on grate black enamel paint and then 4 coats of gloss black spray paint. it should be good to go.

i mounted the lights and ballasts into the canopy and put the hindges on the lid. i then temp wired the lights to test them. i will wire everything nice tomorrow or the next day.

daylight and actinc

S4010025Small.jpg

daylight only

S4010029Small.jpg

actinic only

S4010027Small.jpg

the ballasts

S4010032Small.jpg

ok today i went and bought 5 pounds of Tonga Fusion live rock from one of our arizona group members that has a online store. he also gave me a half of a 30 pound bag of aragamax sand (sugar sized) for free. then i went to the LFS and bought a visi-therm 50w stealth heater. i got eveything in the tank but its its cloudy from the sand and i didnt aquascape yet because i cant see. i have a mj900 circulating the water for now. i think im gonna go buy a aquaclear 50 or 70 and mod it as a fuge. i still need to buy a couple 80mm fans also.

heres a cloudy pic.

S4010041Small.jpg

list/prices:

5.5g AGA tank $11.99

64w of PC lighting from my 24g aquapods stock hood

50w visi-threm stealth heater $29.99

10-15 pounds of Aragamax sand (sugar sized) Free

5 pounds of Tonga Fusion live rock $4.50 a pound total $22.50

mj900 had it allready

coralife digital thermometer had it allready

reef crystals salt had it allready

Total Price without tax sofar = $64.48

ok i went and bought a aquaclear 30 today and then modded it into a fuge. im gonna put it on the tank tomorrow after the silicone is cured and run floss in it until the tank is cycled also i want to run floss in it to get the water cleared up from the sand. the tank was clear enough this morning so i could see to aquascape so i did but now its cloudy again :) i also found the 2 brandnew 80mm fans i had. i need to drill the side of the canopy and install them. im thinking of putting only 1 fan at first and see how it does and if i needs 2 ill add the second one.

list/prices:

5.5g AGA tank $11.99

64w of PC lighting from my 24g aquapods stock hood

50w visi-threm stealth heater $29.99

10-15 pounds of Aragamax sand (sugar sized) Free

5 pounds of Tonga Fusion live rock $4.50 a pound total $22.50

mj900 had it allready

coralife digital thermometer had it allready

reef crystals salt had it allready

aquaclear 30 $40.00

2x 80mm fans had them allready

Total Price without tax sofar = $104.48

Are your lights adding that much heat to the tank that you need a fan?

im not running the lights rightnow since the tank is cycling so i cant answer that rightnow. i think im gonna wait on installing the fans. ill wait till the tank finshes cycling and then when i start running the lights ill see how the temp does. then if the fans are needed then ill install them.

ok the cycle has started :)

test results today are:

date: 4/09/07

salinity 1.025

ph 8.2

ammonia 0.25

nitrite 0.25

nitrate 0

calcium 430

ok i ran the lights on the tank today for a bit the tank didnt heatup at all stayed a constant 80 but the canopy's lid got really hot. i have decided im gonna go ahead and buy the 2x18 Watt Current USA PowerCompact Dual Satellite Fixture and use it instead. http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewI...product=CU01011 im not sure if im gonna mount the new light fixture into the canopy or just take the canopy off. i also got the aquaclear 30 onto the tank and filled it with floss for now. the water is very clear now. i also removed the mj900 that thing blows the sand around so much. im gonna get a smaller powerhead maybe one of the mini-jets or a mj400 something not to powerful that blows the sand around.

heres my test results sofar

date: 4/09/07

salinity 1.025

ph 8.2

ammonia 0.25

nitrite 0.25

nitrate 0

calcium 430

date: 4/10/07

salinity 1.025

ph 8.2

ammonia 0.25

nitrite 0.50

nitrate <5

calcium 430

heres a pic from today the glass still has some sand stuff on it.

S4010044Small.jpg

Derby Reefer

Nah keep he hood. Mount a fan in reverse. Meaning instead of having the fan blow into the hood have it blow out of the fan drawing its intake as hot hood air. You could try that.

Nah keep he hood. Mount a fan in reverse. Meaning instead of having the fan blow into the hood have it blow out of the fan drawing its intake as hot hood air. You could try that.

yea i decided im gonna buy a 32w sunpaq 50/50 10,000k/460nm bulb and run only 32w. i am still gonna keep the other 32w sunpaq dual actinic bulb and have it only turn on 1 hour before the 50/50 bulb and then off after the 50/50 comes on and then on again when the 50/50 is about to shut off. that way i will still get the dawn to dusk effect but ill only have one 32w bulb running at a time. im also gonna either vent one side of the canopy and put a fan pulling air out on the otherside or im gonna use 2 fans one on eachside one blowing air in the other pulling air out so it will keep the bulbs cool so they cant heat up the canopy's lid.

you might as well have both fans blowing out.... the fans will create a suction and pull air from outside the hood youll move more air that way... as long as you have ample vent holes you will be fine

unless of course you are going to have one of the fans for blowing on the surface of the water for cooling that is

you might as well have both fans blowing out.... the fans will create a suction and pull air from outside the hood youll move more air that way... as long as you have ample vent holes you will be fine

unless of course you are going to have one of the fans for blowing on the surface of the water for cooling that is

ill try that both fans pulling air out and if that dont work ill turn one fan around. the tank didnt heat up at all with the lights it was the lid of the canopy that the lights are mounted to that heated up. the whole back of the canopy is open so that should be plenty for venting.

how do you have your lights mounted... if you have the reflector directly in contact with the wood hood you should try to put a little distance between them, maybe try some washers between the wood and the reflector... that should allow air flow above the reflector and should cool it down

Archived