Coral Vue Hydros

pictures of my uncured live rock..

phishy11

If there is no ammonia you could throw in a raw shrimp. A raw shrimp will decompose into ammonia.

If I were you, I'd get $100 of some good quality rock to stack on top of those bricks.

you guys really think the rocks THAT bad?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Carribean rock is aquacultured. This means that some limestone was tossed in a bin with real live rock for a few weeks. Chances of a varied assortment of hitchhikers are slim. It is well suited for biological filtration given time. That is priority #1 for rock in a reef tank anyway.

Carribean rock is aquacultured. This means that some limestone was tossed in a bin with real live rock for a few weeks. Chances of a varied assortment of hitchhikers are slim. It is well suited for biological filtration given time. That is priority #1 for rock in a reef tank anyway.

well,im gona give it about 2 months..as long as it needs..

• 5 weeks later...

Ok..phishy11 you sound like me about 2 1/2 months ago, I started my first reef tank and I thought that I knew it all, I DIDNT. I lost about $60 worth of clown fish and almost lost my frogspawn trying to hurry my tank, here is what you need to do, get that rock going in the tank with the right amount of salt water. Get a refractometer, keep you sality around 1.020-1.025 and you should be good. That rock came dry as a bone it looks like, it has no living creatures in it ( inside the holes ) I can understand that money can be a problem at times but, do not put any fish in that tank until that rock gets out of its cycle, which can be from1-2months from the looks of that rock. Go out and find some good seed rock and you can even go cheaper and get some good rubble that is fully cured cheaper than rock. I would not add it until that rock cures though because the die-off will be very high and you wont get the max. benefit from the seed rock. The seed rock with seed the sand and the rock that you have. If a fish is a must for you, and you cant wait a few months, then get ready for them to die, ICH and fungus will kill almost any fish that you put in it. For life in the tank start with a snail and a hermit, you should be able to get them for just about a little of nothing at your LFS. You might be able to get that rock traded in at the LFS for some cured rock, you wont get what you paid for it but cured is about a month ahead of where you are today with it.

Also these guys and gals on here have gave me ONLY the best advise about a reef tank. If I wouldve listened right now I would be $60 ahead. If you post on this board also know that you are asking for appenions of others and they will all be somewhat different, but everyone should agree that that tank is in NO WAY ready for ANY fish and it is murder to place 1 in there this early. I would take the advise of the members, other wise I wouldnt even post with questions as the answers next time will be far less. Good luck with the tank and remember NO FISH RIGHT NOW! ITS MURDER!

fraggle rockette

hi phishy-

as many suggestions as people can give you, i speak from experience when i say it can get really confusing really fast. i think you need a few books to do some research with, starting with "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist: A Commonsense Handbook for Successful Saltwater Hobbyists". It's around $25 online, but will save you a lot of headache and heartache in the long run. Read as much as you can whenever you can- there are many many posts already exploring tons of questions (lgreen has terrific guides all over this site to almost everything) you have as well. and start your own tank thread. then, when you have more questions, you can ask them with some knowledge in your thread and not have so many angry responses. people in this hobby are very very dedicated and in turn, they tend to get upset and irritable a little easily when newer hobbyists ask questions time and again that they should have researched before even setting up a tank. just my .02- and trust me, it is so worth it to do it right and have clowns making cute faces at you when you wake up. best of luck! :)

-V

Archived