Top Shelf Aquatics

Unusual stocking suggestions please!

UKNanoNoob

Just checked out the fish and invert options you gave me and they are gorgeous looking creatures. I definatly think they will go well the pico that im going to be setting up.

Unfortunatly im in the UK and as you can imagine it is alot harder to aquire such unique species like the above mentioned. Im going to go to my LFS tomorrow evening and see if they will be able to order one of the gobies in for me. They buy all thier stock from Tropic marine center who i belive are a part of your american company Quality marine.

Im not sure what thier suff is like so will you be able to elaborate on this for me seeing as you all must of had a dealing with Quality marine at some stage.

exigency Can i ask you what a yasha haze is. I would love too keep a pistol with a goby of some sort, would he bother a pom pom if i were to have one in the tank with this goby and pistol pair?

a yasha haze is a goby, it looks like this

3387_19.jpg

it could be possible that the pom pom would be killed by the pistol, but i am not sure.

What a fantastic looking fish. This is really getting my mind working now. Really am thinking about putting one of these in my tank once up and running

Thanks guys.

While im here do you guys know of a staghorn hermit? I saw one in my LFS a few weeks back and was intrigued by it. Is it some kind of coral or bryozoan that it lives in?

the pom pom will use his mighty Anemone Pom poms to try and sting the pistol, I think the Pistol wont bother it unless you get a mean one because mine i have its a tiger pistol and he doesnt bother anything, he's eatin 2 snails and they were nas snails who fell into his hole and thought i put it there for him(he only eats food i give him)

So he may well be ok with a pistol. Do you know wether the tiger pistol pairs up with the yasha haze goby as these seem to be really small gobbies and the pistol is rather big?

the yasha will pair up best with a randall's pistol shrimp, IMO. and fyi, a staghorn hermit will be too lunky and will probably knock over corals in such a small tank.

Ok exigency, I will give the LFS a shout soon and see wether they can get me a yasha and a randals pistol very soon.

What do the yasha and randalls eat? Are they omnivours?

yes he is suggesting it.

anyways, just feed them frozen mysis, brine, krill, live foods, etc..the usual, they shouldn't be too hard to take care of for the intermediately experienced reefer. just keep water at top quality and make sure you have a nice sandbed for them to burrow in.

Abraham1907

No, I don't have one of those, I wish I did. I was thinking of setting up a pico soon, and if I do I will try to get one :) They have always been one of my favorite fish, but I can imagine them being hard to get for you. They are even hard to get in the US.

Thought as much. I spoke too my LFS today and thier going too look into it for me. Either the fire goby or yasha. Fingers crossed. No doubt they will come back with some ridiculous price. I was quoted the other week between £280 - £460 for a warty skin frog fish.

What size pico are you looking at then Abraham1907.

Yeah they say that is a permanant thing and should not be affected by scratches or any cleaning maintanance of the glass. Im going ahead with it and ill let you know how things go supernip.

• 2 weeks later...
Thought as much. I spoke too my LFS today and thier going too look into it for me. Either the fire goby or yasha. Fingers crossed. No doubt they will come back with some ridiculous price. I was quoted the other week between £280 - £460 for a warty skin frog fish.

that angler is going to be too big for your pico and will produce more waste than you can imagine, but i'm sure you're safe enough to avoid it. the prawn goby is going to be a hefty price, the yasha will probably be about half as expensive.

Archived