SaltCritters.com

VannReefer's 10g Seamless College Reef

VannReefer87

VannReefer87

thanks a lot proraptor...your tank is amazing by the way. Like he said, I'm doing 2g water changes once a week faithfully and I bought a peice of glass to cover 3/4 of the top of the tank to minimize evaporation. Looking into getting a small auto top-off unit as well. Other than that I'm happy with the set-up.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
VannReefer87

SPS is doing well, the color has increased and the one peice is showing some growth on the base and tips! Picked up my fish, an obligued-lined dottyback...very cool!!

VannReefer87

Here's some new pics of the tank...

IMG_0330.jpg

IMG_0331.jpg

IMG_0332.jpg

IMG_0333.jpg

IMG_0336.jpg

IMG_0340.jpg

IMG_0342.jpg

IMG_0346.jpg

IMG_0349.jpg

IMG_0350.jpg

Not bad so far...now I just need this sucess on larger scale!

VannReefer87

picked up a few new peices for this baby...2 micro frags and a nice 3'' peice of Alien eye watermelon echino!!!

VannReefer87

thanks seahorse! :)

Here is the pic of my new echino...was sold to me as a watermelon...pics seems to add more blue to it though, much more pink in person. One of my favorite new pieces!!

IMG_0366.jpg

IMG_0370.jpg

IMG_0373.jpg

.....will try and get better pics later on!

That's a nice tank you've got there! I like the way you have it aquascaped.

You might have some coming problems with those two fish, though. The red one is an oblique lined dottyback (Cypho purpurescens) and though they are hearty and suited to small tanks, they eat things on the liverock and are known to be aggressive to small fish like gobies, small wrasses, firefish, cardinals etc.

Your other fish is a spotted mandarin (Synchirops picturatus). They tend to be very difficult to keep alive, as most of the ones imported will only take things that grow on the liverocks and sand, and in tanks under 1 year old and with less than 70 lbs. of rock they tend to slowly starve. The very small number of them that do accept prepared food still often perish for unknown reasons far before their natural 10-15 year lifespan. Please think very carefully about keeping this fish in this tank. It's not impossible, but they are very difficult for even experienced aquarists.

VannReefer87

haha thanks Rene....I also appreciate your concern and have also read up on the my fish choices. The dottyback is my favorite fish and has so far been kept in check. My mandarin is eating pellet food! But yes, I wouldn't recommend doing what I'm doing to someone without any exp. The mandarin in a few months will prob end up in my 125g, he can eat as much as he wants.

ur tank came out looking very nice. i have been trying to get rare zoanthids in my tank. got a nice find on a blue claveria polyp. hows the glow in the enchino w/ moonlights on?

VannReefer87

haha thanks everyone, since I have no work tonight at school, I'm gonna clean my tank a bit and take some pics and post them, I've gotten some peices of SPS that have grown over a 1/2'' in less than a month, and the echino has colored up a lot more and its only been in my tank for a week. Pics coming soon...:)

VannReefer87

Hey seastar, the rio works really well for me, its pulled some nice skim and for the price I couldn't think of a better investment......Sorry more pics coming ASAP

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Well..I finally got back to college...my tank is coming up in a week when i go home to get it....things have changed over the summer in this tank...so I'll just inform everyone of the changes...

Livestock:

The Obliqued Lined Dottyback and mandarin where removed and put into my 40g display...and were replaced by a pair of oscellaris clowns and a yasha goby!

All the SPS was removed as it became a pain and put into my display, and seems to be growing faster....they were all replaced by LPS (rare micros and acans).

Hardware:

The tank set-up is working very well, so the only thing I do is maintain what I already am using..although I did add another 150gph of flow to the tank.

As of now everything is doing very well...except for the grape calurpa outbreak I've been battling for months now!

Pics will arrive as soon as the tank is set up and settled..thanks for lookin!

• 1 month later...
VannReefer87

New Pics of acans/micros that I've had/added to the tank B)

New Zoo Frag/Purple & Green Micro

IMG_0609.jpg

Orange Crush Frag

IMG_0608.jpg

Red/Blue Micro

IMG_0606.jpg

Mint Green/Red Micro

IMG_0605.jpg

Aussie Red Acan

IMG_0604.jpg

Angel Eye Micro

IMG_0602.jpg

UFO Micro

IMG_0601.jpg

Rainbow Micro

IMG_0595.jpg

Green Centered Aussie Acan

IMG_0599.jpg

Green Meanie Micro

IMG_0598.jpg

New Blue Aussie Acan

IMG_0597.jpg

Let me know what you guys/gals all think B)

P.S. please ignore the algae..my mom let things get a little crazy while I was gone...but she did help me out a lot!

Archived