SaltCritters.com

VannReefer's 10g Seamless College Reef

VannReefer87

I really like the sunpod a lot, I'm really happy with this tank so far...the skimmer is pulling some nice skim, and the refugium is doing well too. I'm still torn on the fish situation though. A mystery wrasse would be really cool and there is pleny of places to hide in the tank. But I haven't given up on the clowns either, just afraid of their well being.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i like firefishs or gobies. but its hard feeding gobies because they feed close to their burrows. firefish like to jump so you would need a hood. i would choose one of these fish. i had a wrasse in a 29g and the clowns were always picking on it even though it was bigger than them. well, you dont have to listen to me about which fish to keep or not to keep, whatever makes you happy. i would even keep a banded shark in a 55L if that made me happy even though other people says no. i was so close to getting one.. lol but i sold the tank

Yeah, I still have no idea what to do...I have time to decide, but I really do like the mystery wrasse. Here are some more updated pics of my tank, fuge, and skimmer! B)

IMG_0275.jpg

IMG_0276.jpg

IMG_0278.jpg

IMG_0280.jpg

IMG_0281.jpg

IMG_0283.jpg

nice rockwork. if the tank were bigger, then the rocks is just asking for a bubbletip anemone with those crevices in them. heres my tank if you dont mind, still cycling and its on day 4.

cleard.jpg

i dont have alot of rocks so then i would have more room for corals

i want a couple of sps frags as well, maybe just 2 or 3 on the top rocks. i would also love some xenias and gsp in there. im thinking about just all corals in the tank and maybe one small neon goby or clown goby.

yea I thought about that too, I just wanted something for movement and something to look for every once in a while to keep my tank interesting.

wow, u tryna go expensive on your livestock? i tink the pair of clowns because i like how they host anemone's or corals. but its all on you, w/e makes ur tank looks nice.

and on my tank, i've decided not to have any fish. just corals and lots of it

VannReefer87

haha, no, I'm not trying to go too crazy with my livestock but, if I get a cool fish and can keep it alive its not a bad investment, same with corals. If things start dying well, then I'm losing money. I'll probably just go with 2 clowns, maybe nothing special either, just like 2 percs.

VannReefer87

I do like seahorses, but I have way too much flow in my tank for one of them...they need to be housed in low flow tanks. I'm working on getting a pair of onyx percs now! :)

nice! let me know when you get them. good point on the seahorses.. i mite not be able to get one then if i want sps that demands high water flow

no fish if you want to keep SPS. unless you are going to upgrade that skimmer to a deltec, the fish would dirty up the water too much for the sps.

but if you insist... the tank is too small for wrasses. you need something that doesn't get big and doesn't require a lot of swimming space. like a small goby. not a yellow goby though. they feed on the polyps of sps and pretty much only that. you luck out if you get one that eats anything else and doesn't die in a short period of time.

also, the rockwork looks too high. any way you can lower it? the SPS will be out of the water in no time if you're successful with it.

all in all, the tank looks really cool if you were going to keep softies and some LPS.

Tim

VannReefer87

I understand what your saying, but if I do 2g water changes once a week and dose a 2 part system I think I may be ok. If the bioload is still too high I'll just move the clowns into one of my 4 other tanks and keep the coral in the tank. As far as ther rock work goes, I can lower it another 1'' but thats about it. I don't plan on keeping the SPS that high anyway, except for maybe a few monti mounted horizontally to the rock.

Where are you located if you are by chicago I can problaly help you out a buddy of mines. Just had babies I just picked up my pair they are 78 days old today. The parents are nice

VannReefer87

Hey, no livestock in the tank except for clean up crew....have some SPS frags ready to go in the tank just awaiting some testing when I get back to school, I'm on spring break right now. When I get back my tank will recieve a water change, new media (purigen) and some b-ionic and then in with some SPS!

add some updated pictures when you get them. i made a hang-on refuge for mines but i ran out of silicone so it has to be pushed back until i have time to get one

• 2 weeks later...
VannReefer87

Well, I finally got some life in my tank other than the CUC...check it out

IMG_0322.jpg

IMG_0325.jpg

IMG_0326.jpg

IMG_0327.jpg

Will be adding my only fish this weekend..

VannReefer87

Thanks Gerber, I got them from a friend of mine that really hooked me up...I have a few more peices on the way..blue prostrata, blue tort, perhaps a peice of purple bonsai! Just puting them in the tank slowly to make sure everything is ok. Does anyone know where I can get blue and pink milli?

no fish if you want to keep SPS. unless you are going to upgrade that skimmer to a deltec, the fish would dirty up the water too much for the sps.

but if you insist... the tank is too small for wrasses. you need something that doesn't get big and doesn't require a lot of swimming space. like a small goby. not a yellow goby though. they feed on the polyps of sps and pretty much only that. you luck out if you get one that eats anything else and doesn't die in a short period of time.

also, the rockwork looks too high. any way you can lower it? the SPS will be out of the water in no time if you're successful with it.

all in all, the tank looks really cool if you were going to keep softies and some LPS.

Tim

Why would he need a deltec? There are plenty of nano reefs out there that are skimmerless that house only SPS....If you keep up with your water changes you will be fine...

You sould also be fine with a small wrasse especially because it will be the only fish...Look into a 4 line they are nice

Nice tank!

Archived