Cultivated Reef

New Finnex Start Up

satnu

not sure if the design would allow, but I'm using a Quiet One 3000 (or I was) in my tank without a sound, without a problem, and plenty of flow. I only supplemented with a seio 620 about a year later when I started keeping major SPS.

It's pretty low power driven and footprint is tiny!

By design you mean my layout I take it. I'll know more today after I fill the tank and check out flow. "or I was"? Did you upgrade?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UPDATE:

Up and running!!!!!! Go here!

Not without a few "issues". Had to eliminate the LocLine Y for now. Stock pump does not have enough UMF!

Forgot to patch stock fuge feed hole after drilling new one for plumbing realignment.

Main 10K lights stopped working. Dead ballast maybe? Hard to believe after only about 30 minutes of run time.

The use of my OLD HOT Magnum really cleared the water in a hurry after adding sand. Total of about 3 hours!!!!!!! CRYSTAL CLEAR now.

Nano Streams running great. Lot's of movement!

Tomorrow the completion of 250Watt MH hood.

Now the wait begins!!!!!!!!

my main lights took a crap a couple weeks after starting my tank and i think i read about someone elses doing the same. ken at finnex thought it was a bad ballast, but after replacing that i still had nothing so he replaced it. if you need his phone number i can PM you with it.

my main lights took a crap a couple weeks after starting my tank and i think i read about someone elses doing the same. ken at finnex thought it was a bad ballast, but after replacing that i still had nothing so he replaced it. if you need his phone number i can PM you with it.

Yeah they just flicked on and off and then boom! DONE! Yes, please PM Ken's number.

Ron at Finnex said ship it back and they will send a replacement.

I'm pretty bummed that the LED and actinic are wired together. Using a timer cuts the power thus no moonlights. :angry:

Next stop MarineDepot for LED's! :lol:

Lights packaged and on the way to Chicago!

Got my ATO yesterday.

What pump are people using to push water from reservoir to main tank for top off?

P1010001-1.jpg

Here is a shot of my Topless (no Finnex hood) tank ;) . Only my 250 MH running. Need a few more pieces of LR, get skimmer running, ATO running and install power strips in stand! As always SaltyPolak

P1010004-1.jpg

P1010006-1.jpg

I'm using an Maxijet MJ1200 to push water from directly below my tank to the main tank. it seems to work pretty well but you have to figure out a way to make it so it doesn't create a siphon when the pump turns of. i have and airline check valve shoved in a piece of 1/2 inch tube for this. i limits the rate of the pump drastically and is probably destroying the impellar but i haven't figure out anything better. the pump may be a little overkill for an ATO but i figured it isn't that much more expensive than a smaller pump and i can use it for mixing salt or anything if i need to.

Tank looks awesome! i like the aquascape and the wavyness of the sand.

I'm using an Maxijet MJ1200 to push water from directly below my tank to the main tank. it seems to work pretty well but you have to figure out a way to make it so it doesn't create a siphon when the pump turns of. i have and airline check valve shoved in a piece of 1/2 inch tube for this. i limits the rate of the pump drastically and is probably destroying the impellar but i haven't figure out anything better. the pump may be a little overkill for an ATO but i figured it isn't that much more expensive than a smaller pump and i can use it for mixing salt or anything if i need to.

Tank looks awesome! i like the aquascape and the wavyness of the sand.

So you have your top off line submerged where the return water goes? Why don't you leave it 1" above high water mark and then you avoid siphon?

That was my plan to avoid siphon. Going to construct a acrylic bracket to hold feed line in place.

Still need to build up rock work a bit. The waves in the sand are created by the Nano Streams flow around the tank. One thing about theses Nano Streams though, they have 4 little tabs that mount the head to the tank side magnet and 1 has broken on each of the Nano's. If it ever lets loose water will be everywhere and sand storm created. I'm going to SuperGlue bracket to magnet and forget it. A little design flaw in an otherwise great product.

Any ideas where I can get some chaeto for my fuge?

that would definatly work but on mine i have no place to hold the ATO tube so i just shoved it down under the skimmer.

as for chaeto, check the classifieds here and the livestock selling on RC. be sure that you have a heat pack included when shipping because it is soooo cold out right now.

that would definatly work but on mine i have no place to hold the ATO tube so i just shoved it down under the skimmer.

as for chaeto, check the classifieds here and the livestock selling on RC. be sure that you have a heat pack included when shipping because it is soooo cold out right now.

Here's my plan. If your interested I can hook ya up with one. Take about 15 minutes to make. PM me.

TopOffbracket.jpg

Will do on the Macro. Thanks!

ATO installed and running great. Picked up a Mini-Jet 606 by MarineLand for ATO pump. On full flow it runs nice and quite while filling.

1/2"ID tubing run through top off container top to DIY acrylic holder. Tube rests about 1 1/2" above high water level so no back siphon.

Remora Nano arrived today. Looks like a miniature version of my DIY skimmer for my 60Gal.

Plan on starting Remora up this weekend.

Fired up the Remora last night. Nice unit. Hopefully we'll start to see junk in it soon.

P1010001-2.jpg

Added a little more LR and played with aquascape a bit.

P1010005-2.jpg

Fired up the Remora last night. Nice unit. Hopefully we'll start to see junk in it soon.

P1010001-2.jpg

Added a little more LR and played with aquascape a bit.

P1010005-2.jpg

so, how much has the skimmer, well....skimmed? i didnt know there was a few minnesota people on here, im from minnetonka. what fish store do you go to?

so, how much has the skimmer, well....skimmed? i didnt know there was a few minnesota people on here, im from minnetonka. what fish store do you go to?

Not much yet. From what I've read it takes a while to "break in"!

Burnsville here. Pretty much stick with Something Fishy. I Avoid World Of Fish. Have not been to Wet World in years. And you?

Lookin' goooooood!

Let me know how your ATO works, I'm interested in hooking one up to my 20 gallon Finnex.

ATO work great. Bought it off of Ebay brand new. 85 shipped! Can't believe I never ran this with my 60Gal. Had a DIY 5 gal bucket top off. I love automation!!!!!

Blog has link to Ebay seller.

Not much yet. From what I've read it takes a while to "break in"!

Burnsville here. Pretty much stick with Something Fishy. I Avoid World Of Fish. Have not been to Wet World in years. And you?

ATO work great. Bought it off of Ebay brand new. 85 shipped! Can't believe I never ran this with my 60Gal. Had a DIY 5 gal bucket top off. I love automation!!!!!

Blog has link to Ebay seller.

I go to somthing fishy also, i drop in an world of fish, and am a regular at sealevel, and i work at the fish guy. :D

I go to somthing fishy also, i drop in an world of fish, and am a regular at sealevel, and i work at the fish guy. :D

Never heard of either! Where is SeaLevel? May have to look them up. How do they compare to SFishy? Only thing I don't like is all their corals are huge and you pay the price! Not many frags available.

Never heard of either! Where is SeaLevel? May have to look them up. How do they compare to SFishy? Only thing I don't like is all their corals are huge and you pay the price! Not many frags available.

sea level has been around forever, used to go by the name of aqualand. its half fresh half salt, but he gets alot of cool stuff in, thats on excelsior blvd. by the goodwill..... i only go to WOF for frags....the fish guy is a small family owned fish store on county road 19. we have like 50 tanks, nothing special.

sea level has been around forever, used to go by the name of aqualand. its half fresh half salt, but he gets alot of cool stuff in, thats on excelsior blvd. by the goodwill..... i only go to WOF for frags....the fish guy is a small family owned fish store on county road 19. we have like 50 tanks, nothing special.

What does your store carry? Salt, fresh or both. May stop in and introduce myself.

How would you rate them against SFishy?

Have you had good luck and decent selections from WoF?

Here's how i'd rank all of the fish stores in the Twin Cities area that i have been too.

Ocean Devotion - Savage

Something Fishy - Richfield

A World of Fish - Richfield

Sea Level - Hopkins

The Fish Guy - Excelsior (sorry callaro)

I've only been to Ocean Devotion once but they definatly have more stuff geared towards this size tank. Something Fishy is a great place but many/most of their fish are geared towards larger tanks. Sea Level is pretty small, only two tanks with corals, and never seem to have what i'm looking for. A World of Fish is sooo cramped and overpriced...and smelly and hot, but actually have quite a good selection of stuff. The Fish Guy was remodeling the last time i was in there so maybe you guys have changed it...i'll have to stop in again soon.

Here's how i'd rank all of the fish stores in the Twin Cities area that i have been too.

Ocean Devotion - Savage

Something Fishy - Richfield

A World of Fish - Richfield

Sea Level - Hopkins

The Fish Guy - Excelsior (sorry callaro)

I've only been to Ocean Devotion once but they definatly have more stuff geared towards this size tank. Something Fishy is a great place but many/most of their fish are geared towards larger tanks. Sea Level is pretty small, only two tanks with corals, and never seem to have what i'm looking for. A World of Fish is sooo cramped and overpriced...and smelly and hot, but actually have quite a good selection of stuff. The Fish Guy was remodeling the last time i was in there so maybe you guys have changed it...i'll have to stop in again soon.

Looks like I have some driving around to do. I did check out WetWorld in Eagan. Very nice selection of corals. Has Something Fishy beat to hell. I was very impressed. :o Ocean Devotion is next.

Man waiting to cycle stinks. :lol:

I agree that their prices were high...but after going back to world of fish and something fishy today, they were pretty close to being the same and they have a lot more selection for the smaller tanks. I think i'm going to buy some corals online though because they are so expensive at all of the LFS around here. I think i'm going to get the 22 frags for $200 from reefermadness and request a good mix of zoas, rics, lps, and a couple of sps. whatever won't work in my tank i'll try to trade.

I agree that their prices were high...but after going back to world of fish and something fishy today, they were pretty close to being the same and they have a lot more selection for the smaller tanks. I think i'm going to buy some corals online though because they are so expensive at all of the LFS around here. I think i'm going to get the 22 frags for $200 from reefermadness and request a good mix of zoas, rics, lps, and a couple of sps. whatever won't work in my tank i'll try to trade.

Yeah that's the way I'm going also. 60 bucks for a 3 inch zoa is WAY out there. Did see a few nice fishy's I wouldn't mind getting there.

Archived