Pod Your Reef

Zen Garden

Duncan

I guess the one I found must be an exotic specimen. :D

Can this cause nightmare to the hermits as well?

Saddle Valentini Puffer

Canthigaster-valentini4.jpg

I don't really want the fish to actually eat them, but just scared them enough to sh1t in their shells. :P

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Puffers have specially adapted teeth designed to crush the shells of Crustaceans, so yes it would kill them.

i doubt he would eat a hermit though... none of my puffers ever showed interest..

p.s. I had a leaf fish not the Rhinopaiwhatever

lol those would be cool, you could have a trio of them in their and they are prefect for macro set-ups. They are very peaceful, dont move often besides swaying in the current. Another option (if the damsel was taken out) is seahorses. I just got 2 Northern Erectus seahorses and they are by far my favorite fish, much more entertaining then my kuda.

FF218, you seems to be getting more and more tanks! Ain't you not giving up on the seahorse tank yet? :P

Horsey is too much trouble for me. And I'm starting to feel attached to my beasty damsel. Might as well just let him have the whole tank. :lol:

New behavior in the domino, he started attacking my hand. :o

FF218, you seems to be getting more and more tanks! Ain't you not giving up on the seahorse tank yet? :P

lol, no I decided to keep them, and then decided to get 4 more :P lol

Its true... I have a problem.

Maybe a frog fish or spotted handfish?

I saw a frogfish with a handfish body today! The body is longish like handfish yet the face is of the frogfish's.

Anyway, I did the unthinkable just now. I got another domino! They seems to be pretty comfortable with each other as of now. The lfs don't have the arrow crab and I got something most people don't like to have in their tanks... Camel shrimps and 3 of them!

I'm still getting the arrow crab, and I will have the most reef-unsafe tank! :lol:

• 1 month later...

all right, I'm resetting this tank.

Apparently, the 6500K table lamp is a failure. Most of the macro withered and died.

I just added 3 lbs of lr yesterday. Siphoned all the sand up and rearranged the rock around.

New plan is a anemone only tank. Hope my domino damsels will host the nem.

Heard that they need to establish that hosting relationship while young, or they will never host. I may get a maroon if they chose not to host. Domino + maroon is going to turn my tank into a gangster tank. haha

Going to get some T5HO on the way back from work later.

:lol:

why dont you rearange the rocks back in to islands and instead of putting a bonsi tree in the middle put a kenya tree coral. you could also use a toad stool and see if you can get a clown(or your domino) to host in it

why dont you rearange the rocks back in to islands and instead of putting a bonsi tree in the middle put a kenya tree coral. you could also use a toad stool and see if you can get a clown(or your domino) to host in it

I hate toad stool! Well, due to fact I can't keep them alive. They slime, shred and tangle everything with that white sticky goo! To me, softies other than zoas and shrooms, are expert level stuff. lol

Thank you for the suggestion. It's an entire new look now. The rockwork is hideous and somewhat reassembles a frogfish statue.

Awesome. An anemone tank would be awesome. You may want to consider plumbing the two tanks together.

Yeah, thanks! I figured I want to give it a try. And no, I won't plumb them together. Simply 'cos I don't know how to do that! lol

Actually, I just got my green bulb tip anemone! It's not that great looking, to speak truthfully. The tentacles is not the brightest green. Hope it will recover well.

Tank's now running on brand new 96W T5HO just for this bta. Swap out the 290gph for a 230gph PH 'cos the nem is almost blown off the rock by the big flow. Yeah, already black sponged the intake.

Fed it some tiger prawn morsel 'cos no silverside available. Its mouth is always close and open up immediately once it smell the meat. I read that this is a good sign of a healthy nem.

This morning I woke up and found my domino sleeping in the nem! lol

But I have gave the damsels away to other reefer and he's coming to collect them on friday. Gonna miss these fellows.

• 2 months later...

your zen garden was so cool, sad to see that it withered away, but it gave me idea for my 16h since im not very good at keeping corals maybe plants will be easier. i cant wait to see the progress of the anemone tank though.

• 3 weeks later...

Gee, thanks for the interest in my tank thread, nano-clown, jonny to cool and ff.

Well, I didn't have my camera with me now. Sorry, but no pics.

This tank gone through a lot of changes, ever since the last post.

I had a GTA for like 2 months and a maroon. All was doing well, until I decided to shift things around. I did some major aquascaping to my main tank aka the Singapore Green Tank with rocks from this tank. Worse, I pulled the anemone from its permanent favorite rock. I got a new rock for the anemone, but it hated it and wandered about ever since.

A wandering anemone is a dead anemone. No doubt, it died and I was regretful. And making matter worse, the new rock was encrusted with a zillion sponges. So chain reaction from there on, dead anemone > dead sponges > cloudy water > dead tank.

Maroon was totally un-affected, which was 1 great thing among all this dying. So after a week or 2, the water cleared up again. Macro algaes are florishing again. So I decided to do a maroon pairing thing. Got a tiny 1 inch golden strip maroon. This is the start of another disaster. My 3.5 inch maroon hated the new maroon the moment I introduced him into the tank. She chased him from dawn to dusk, although he did the quivering dance, kissing etc. After a week plus, the female finally accepted him.

Then 1 fine day, the female got into one of her fits, and chased the male to a corner. Then, with nowhere to run, he jumped! yes, carpeting surfing. I found him dried and small on the floor. :(

Apparently, I didn't learn my lesson... 1 week passed, I got a common clown to pair up with the grand old lady maroon. I read some articles in RC that common clown and maroon actually have a higher success rate than maroon-to-maroon pairing.

He is a tiny tiny, less than a inch false o. clown. It was like feeding a lamb to a tiger. But they hit it off immediately. It was unbelievable! The maroon never attack the common clown. And they did pair off. The male will follow close to her, constantly doing the shivering dance. And kissing her spined cheek. Practically worshipping her as a goddess.

Then stupid me went to the lfs and bought a grape capulera for the tank. The clowns were playing in it, swimming in and out. But just barely 1 week, the grape went sexual, released everything from its pores. Bang! Tank looked like having an overdose of plankton. The water was so green that I couldn't see 1 inch into the tank. And the worst part? The maroon jumped... yup, on the floor. I didn't see her body, my mum trashed it since I was at work. I was so sad that I was numb to all the dying. Check on the clown, yup, he was still swimming happily in the green water. Went on to do a 50% wc, siphon all the crap off the barebottom.

And just yesterday, I got another common clown and a huge devil finger leather. (not learnt my lesson again)

The clowns have paired up and the leather seems okay... so that's about all. I'd see if I can get some pics on it.

dang! whats going on with your tanks?, take it slow and give it some time to recover, i hope this tank will get better

-NC

• 1 month later...
Thanks, nano-clown. Basically, it was all just my stupidity that causes all these. Feel like kicking myself.

well live and learn as i always say ;)

• 2 months later...

I realize you said the tank was going down, but if you still have it set up and want a 'pond' in the middle, you can have an area in between the islands where you move the sand away from the bottom so you can see the bottom glass. It will give a reflection and really look like a the top of a pond. I did it with a ryukin tank I had before.

Archived