Innovative Marine Aquariums

Zen Garden

Duncan

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow again. This really makes me want to set up another tank. Yours are so distinctive & cool. So many tanks...so little time.

*sigh*

Anyway, great job again.

Some updates on this much neglected tank...

All the feeder mollies were taken out, to serve as sashimi for other fishy residents.

I always felt the tank seems too empty, so I got a few more macro to complete the look.

New fts. More More algae!

DSCF0293.jpg

Side view. I am still raking the sand!

DSCF0294.jpg

Corner view. A 20g zen garden for my domino!

DSCF0297.jpg

I found that mounting lights (only 6500K) to a corner can provide the spotlight and shimmering effect. Who needs MH? :P

DSCF0299.jpg

1 low eye-level fts. I did some adjustments with the ISO through some trial and error. Lights seemed dimmer than the actual one.

DSCF0303.jpg

This is where the tank located!

DSCF0283.jpg

Well, there's only 1 fish now. My little beasty domino immediately claims his lushgreen property after forsaking his old home - ehiem intake drainer. :lol:

I can't get him out nor there's anyone to take him in. So I'm letting him to own the entire tank. Any suggestions to improve the livestock? :happy:

Here's some angular shots! I don't know why, but tank seems better when view from corners instead of the fts. Am I the only one with this problem? :lol:

The bridge.

DSCN7729.jpg

The bridge, again... notice the unnatural waves on the sand? Heehee.

DSCN7730.jpg

Side view, lots of macro from this view.

DSCN7728.jpg

From the right corner. Notice branching, stick-like macro on the top middle part of the rock? I always felt it looks like a SPS. :happy:

DSCN7732.jpg

A big mess of macro.

DSCN7733.jpg

A clearer view of the raking on the sand.

DSCN7736.jpg

And a final shot - fts with the never-in-focus domino. :angry:

DSCN7731.jpg

My domino still owns the tank. I doubt he enjoys sharing the property with anyone, but anyone has suggestions for my future livestock plans?

Thanks for looking!

you gotta do some sort of small ambush predator in that tank (that isn't an angler) like a llife fish or one of the interesting scorpions. I recommend Erosa daruma if you can find it and send it to me.

a yellow headed jawfish to live in that cave in the bottom left of the tank, domino would mostly hang in the water column and the jf in the bottom, right? i love jawfish!

supernip, is this the fish?

ph_daruma.jpg

Looks cute... in a weird fashion!

Travis, thanks!

Tentacles, that domino rules the whole tank. He will hunt the jawfish out even if it hides under the rock all the time. I need something bigger and scary than him. LOL

Uploadead, I kept lions before, but they just don't do well under my care. So, anymore ideas?

I agree with nips on the ambush predator. That tank is begging for one.

Plus it seems more zen in a way because it won't move around very often.

actually, that's too big. He nailed it ont he head with the erosa picture. Dwarf lions would be nice but they actually get too big. I didn't recommend an angler because it is too weird and looks out of place.

BALI%20LEAF%20FISH.jpg

daruma.jpg

But that's just my advice. Get a few more perspectives.

Probably beyond the scope of the tank (and you'd definitely need like 5 more inches of sand) but a few garden eels would look sweet in the foreground.

ga47_gardeneels.jpg

Ambush predator sounds really cool! Have to look around for a rather exotic species though. I presume there's no nano-sized stonefish? Heehee

And no to dwarf lion. Besides the size restriction, I felt he's too colorful for the tank. I need something dull-looking. LOL

Wow, those garden eels look really sweet. I saw a bunch at the LFS and they the exact same thing as in the pic. By the way, I saw some banded pipefish today and thought they are kind of cool to add into the tank. Bad idea? I know I have to remove the domino to do that...

Aeoliscus strigatus

aeoliscus_strigatus.jpg

Truly zenny fishy! But looks kinda difficult to keep alive... hmm

Monodactylus sebae

EmilianoSpada_Monodactylus_sebae.jpg

Nice fish, but my LFS doesn't carry these at all... :(

Stenorhynchus seticornis

bonaire-arrow-crab.jpg

Thanks! I shall get the arrow crab!

Pareques acuminatus

pareques_acuminatus_x.jpg

Is this the highhat fish?

Arrow crabs look too much like spiders to me. Creep me out.

OTOH, I don't seem to have too much of an issue with my mantis. So go figure. Guess they are creepy but not spider-like.

Can't wait to see the arrow in YOUR tank. ;)

Arrow crabs look too much like spiders to me. Creep me out.

OTOH, I don't seem to have too much of an issue with my mantis. So go figure. Guess they are creepy but not spider-like.

Can't wait to see the arrow in YOUR tank. ;)

Hey, I just remembered my favourite superhero is spider-man! No wonder I pick the arrow crab. :lol:

I am getting a little interested in mantis nowadays, from all you mantis-fans! I thought of getting a mantis for this tank, but the lfs only has the big bad boys (over 5inches long).

Side story, new mantis alert in my green tank. I found an empty smashed up shell that the hermit used to live in... :o

Thanks, Cam barr.

Small update....Previously, I put the two electric blue leg hermits into my Singapore Green Tank. Then recently, I found that the hermits been munching on the coralline! And one of them had knocked a part of the frogspawn skeleton! The polyps for that particular branch have skrunken and don't look too good.

I have banished them to the zen garden forever! :angry:

Perhaps I can keep something terrible to hunt after the duo... :eek:

rhinopias.

p_73096_032304.jpg

Item # Description Price

CN-73096 SW - Goose Rhinopias Scorpionfish $ 799.99

$799.99!!!! omgomgomg

I'm broke, no thanks!

Hmm... I think FishFreak218 has one, if memory didn't fail me.

Archived